Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice:
We already have one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
One of the interesting things to come out of this is this report of audio defense weapons. It seems that this was developed for the US Navy after the USS Cole incident and this 'Speaker' sends out a screeching noise of about 150BD.s or about one and a halp times the noise of a jet engine when standing beside it! I am sure that is quite painful. <G>
Last year, one of my clients came back from a trade show in Las Vegas with a little toy. I am POSITIVE it is a little version of what they employed on the cruise ship. It is a hand-held, spring-loaded plastic cone that "shoots" (or rather displaces) a focused blast of air wherever you aim it. It was quite a little blast of air, about 20 mph for an instant. I'm sure a (much) bigger version is very capable of knocking people off their feet, and from the press description, that seemed to be the purpose and intention. Quite an interesting non-lethal defense weapon. I would like to learn more. I don't think this was a "screeching" device, or a loudspeaker, although it probably was loud.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Admiral

that would be a powerful tool for law enforcement to use instead of a taser
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
so JIm, are you going to send in your resume to Carnvial (VBG) or perhaps create a position at CM in charge of security ??
Nope, I already did that once and after having time to think about it and realize my physical limitations and disabilities I don't believe this is for me. I can do, and have taught this stuff in the past but I am afraid those days are pretty much over.
Jim
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

"...however from a marketing perspective you never want to "sell" security as a reason to choose one cruise ship over another..

..what you can do is make people more aware of their surroundings and take some responsiblity for their safety..."

Venice, I don't see what good being aware of your surroundings would do if you are on a very small ship like the spirit (or any ship for that matter)under attack by heavily armed pirate/terrorists.

I realize that "selling " security may not be good marketing strategy, but in today's world (or at least parts of it) savvy cruisers might want to know who has good security and who doesn't. I have long suspected that security takes a back seat to most other things in the minds of cruise executives, but one tragedy will change that, just as 9/11 changed the airline industry.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Yeoman

I have been reading all the threads trying to catch up. I notice that the statement of rifle fire came up, but nothing on the Grenades being fired. But then, like I said, I haven't read it all. My husband, who I might add, has become one of those many Media hounds, and refuses to travel most anywhere out of the USA due to these bloody pirates and terrorists, alas, that is another story.

Anyway, I have to be thankful that the weapons grade of said pirates are inferior, as had the grenade not been a dud, the damage would of been horrific. The Spirit was aptly name, she had a Guardian Spirit watching over her.

Here is the link from CBS news of pictures in case anyone is interested.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/popup?id=1290148
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

At least one grenade was launched and failed to explode as it was lodged on or in one of the outside deck areas. It was blocked off and bomb desposal teams were called. Not sure but I have to assume it was US Navy EOD and then turned over to the FBI for investigation. Not sure I understand the legal jurisdiction anymore but it seems to have changed because of terrorism.
Jim