CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Seabourn Spirit Attacked by Pirates (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/303500-seabourn-spirit-attacked-pirates.html)

Marc November 5th, 2005 09:15 AM

Seabourn Spirit Attacked by Pirates

Here is the report from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa...tes/index.html

I haven't heard of a pirate attack in a few years. I bet other ships will stay farther offshore Somalia coastline.

Jim Bragg November 5th, 2005 10:07 AM

While they happen all the time I think this is a first for a cruise ship, is it not? Getting to be a very brazen lot! I have said it in the past and this is just one more reason it will soon be necessary, there needs to be some armed security people onboard the ships trained with, and have, the necessary automatic weapons to deter this activity. Maybe a few LAWS tucked in as well as Ma Duce and M-16's and MP-5's for the close work. Such a shame that others targeted a cruise ship now! Hard to beleive!
Jim

Janmd November 5th, 2005 02:55 PM

Marc,
Thanks for posting it- that is scary. Heard it on the radio. Waiting for it to appear on the tv.
Jan

Chuck Palm November 5th, 2005 03:49 PM

Yo Ho... Yo Ho... Yah-ho, yah-ho, ya-ho

Anybody know any good sea shanties???

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's pouring rain, cold, and I'm bored...

What more can I say??? ;-)

richstacy November 5th, 2005 04:49 PM

It sounds like from all reports of this incident that the captain and crew of the Spirit acted in a very admirable fashion. But these were mere Pirates. One wonders if the security teams of most cruise lines are up to the challenge if Al Qaeda ever realizes that capturing (or worse) a cruise ship full of evil American and European non-believers would be a huge coup for them in their quest to establish their misguided version of paradise on earth. I would really like to know what the level of security readiness is to deal with a more sophisticated assault. :?:

venice November 5th, 2005 06:05 PM

what was the name of the Italian cruise ship that terroist capture in the 80's and killed the American in the wheelchair ???

very very brazen attack

Lombard November 5th, 2005 06:32 PM

"Achille Lauro" 1985

An unnerving line I saw while googling this answer was.

"TURKEY INTERCEPTS AL-QAEDA CRUISE SHIP PLOT 11/08/2005 "

richstacy November 5th, 2005 07:20 PM

Lombard, I followed your lead and found that article about the Al Qaeda plot against Israeli cruise ships being foiled by Turkish authorities. At least the Israeli passengers know they have the best security in the world. Wish we could feel the same.
We have been to Wellington when we cruised there on the Crystal Harmony ten years ago (only time we could afford Crystal). It was great. The next port was Picton on the South Island, then my all time favorite Milford Sound!

Lombard November 5th, 2005 07:29 PM

Yes richstacy, it does make interesting reading. Here is the link to the article if anyone is interested?

http://www.icej.org/cgi-local/view.c...8/11/325632127

The picton area is an absolutely wounderful place to have summer (your winter) holidays. Lots of sun, water and greenery. LOL

Did you enjoy the sandflys in Milford Sound? lol

cruisinforever November 5th, 2005 08:36 PM

Seabourn Spirit attacked by pirates

We have no way of knowing if cruise ships have a room full of arms. Seems to me in this day and time that this may be so. On Nov. 20 they are showing a remake of Poseidon Adventure on one of the major networks. I understand the plot line is attack by terrorists. Hope these incidents, etc. don't deter passengers. I say full speed ahead and ke sara, sara.

Betty

Ron November 5th, 2005 11:54 PM

I'm not surprised that it happened, only that it took so long to happen.
I don't think there is much to worry about in the Caribbean as we have Coast Guard, Navy and air craft that could be to the rescue in short order.

As far as arming cruise ships go, that may be more dangerous than the pirates. Remember reading some of the posts from irate passengers because they didn't get to go to Bermuda, Grand Cayman, etc. etc., etc. because of the weather ?
Can you imagine the captain announcing over the P.A. that due to rough seas we can't stop at Grand Cayman today---- then a group of " irates "---
( not to be confused with pirates " ) rushing the gun mounts and hosing down the bridge with string of .50 cal. slugs ????

richstacy November 6th, 2005 01:31 AM

I don't remember any sandflies, only extrreme beauty -- and a very long bus ride to a lake and a ride across to a gloworm cave. I would think that Milford Sound is certainly one of the top 10 most beautiful places on Earth.

Marc November 6th, 2005 02:57 PM

There are security forces aboard cruise ships. I know that Radisson uses Nepalese Gurkhas; I have heard that other cruise lines also use Gurkhas. Not only are there arms aboard; there is also a brig.

venice November 6th, 2005 03:22 PM

do the Gurkhas guard the buffet ? (BG)

richstacy November 6th, 2005 03:42 PM

That would cut down on overeating :!: LOL

Tide Pride November 6th, 2005 03:55 PM

I don't want to appear disloyal to these boards but a friend pointed out to me that over on ******* on the Seabourn boards there is a thread entitled " Cruise Line Fends Off Pirate Attach ".
If you go to page # 2 there is a poster named " Norm2002 " who is aboard this ship and he included a picture he took of one of the pirate boats along side the ship with armed men on board.
Great picture and interesting reading.

Regards,
Ben

Tide Pride November 6th, 2005 03:56 PM

Another double post... something is wrong with the submit function on these boards.

richstacy November 6th, 2005 05:20 PM

I went to the "brand X board" as suggested, and could find one of the pictures taken by Spirit Passenger Norm. It showed a fairly small boat with about 8 typical terrorist types in it. One is brandishing a rifle and another has a rocket propelled grenade launcher like the ones used against American and Brit troops in Iraq. Norm's post said only one crew member was slightly wounded by a ricocheting rifle bullet. These "pirates" are probably part and parcel of the Islamic thugs who are responsible for the deaths of literally hundreds of thousands of Somalis in the last year or so, in a Genocide ignored by the U.N. I hate to think what might have happened to the passengers if they had been allowed to board! That part of the world has been off my cruise list for a while, and will remain so.

showcat November 6th, 2005 05:57 PM

Very scary stuff it's unfortuate that good security measures cost big $$ I wonder if the cruise lines will do more to protect their passengers before one of these groups succeed in hijacking a ship, and lives are lost, or will they wait for that to happen and when people stop cruising, and law suits are filled only then start beefing up security.

Trip November 6th, 2005 07:54 PM

Venice, that Italian liner, was the Achille Lauro...Leon Klinghoffer,was the gentleman, tossed overboard in his wheelchair. It was a very scary situation, indeed.

bigjohn461 November 7th, 2005 09:38 AM

There was a spot on the CBS news this morning and showed a lot of pics of the pirates. I heard about this last night on the news and they said some thing about another one happening back in June or July? And that this was common in this area off the coast of Somolia. This is just what I heard on TV..This is a little scary though.

Edited for correction on the country and to say. That was an interesting article from Marc and the video.

Jim Bragg November 7th, 2005 11:16 AM

There are certain areas of the world that this is quite common and off the coast of Africa happens to be one of them. I quess they were really over-expecting but pirates are not known for intelligence, just ruthlessness. SE Asia is another hot spot for pirates. I really hope that this snaps the cruiselines into placing automatic weapons onboard ships and the personel train to use them
Jim

Jason November 7th, 2005 11:57 AM

I would pretty much do anything to cruise...But this crosses the line...

Marc November 7th, 2005 06:41 PM

Jim:

There ARE automatic weapons onboard AND they know how to use them.

venice November 8th, 2005 03:37 PM

Marc..I owe you an apology..I thought you were kidding when you indicated that the cruise line uses Ghurkhas for security..they really do !!!
History shows that they are fearless and I would not want to mess with them

What is really scary (and you have to remember the source) MSNBC indicated that over the past year there have been many attempts on ships, but this is the first that we have heard about it..Will have to watch FOX Cable to get the view from the other side (BG)

Jim Bragg November 8th, 2005 03:48 PM

Some lines do, some lines do not. One of the interesting things to come out of this is this report of audio defense weapons. It seems that this was developed for the US Navy after the USS Cole incident and this 'Speaker' sends out a screeching noise of about 150BD.s or about one and a halp times the noise of a jet engine when standing beside it! I am sure that is quite painful. <G> I still would have liked to see them drop a couple of those old WWII ashcans over the side and see how high they could blow them!
Jim

richstacy November 8th, 2005 03:59 PM

"Some lines do, some lines do not."
Jim, the question then becomes, which lines have good security, and which do not? It may become a fairly important consideration in choosing who to cruise with, at least for those who want to get out of the old caribbean.

venice November 8th, 2005 06:53 PM

richstacy..good discussion point..however from a marketing perspective you never want to "sell" security as a reason to choose one cruise ship over another..in the airline game, you never market or sell safety of one carrier over another..the public has to have an unshakeable trust that all cruise lines and airlines have safety/security as their core rules of the road

In light of 911, what we have all learned is that you cannot secure any place 100% against those types of attacks..what you can do is make people more aware of their surroundings and take some responsiblity for their safety

As Americans, we can no longer have the comfort of thinking a situation most likely will occur when we are overseas. I happened to have been in Istanbul when 911 occur and I felt much safer there then if I had been in New York

However, I really like that concept of the next time I see a Ghurka warrior onboard my cruise ship that he is there for my safety

Jim Bragg November 8th, 2005 08:36 PM

Security onboard is not publically discussed and that is as it should be. Years ago just before 9/11 I was campaingning for a position with a major cruiseline and offered expertise in teaching firearms, riot control, bomb classes, forensics, fingerprinting and leadership & organization. The cruiselines were not ready to commit that deeply back then. I am hoping that they have started in some if not many of the ways I though helpful.
Jim

venice November 8th, 2005 09:33 PM

so JIm, are you going to send in your resume to Carnvial (VBG) or perhaps create a position at CM in charge of security ??