Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default Information on Seaborn Spirit and Pirates

Report on the Pirates that attacked the Spirit. FAB has asked us to post this for him as he is having trouble getting into the website. Folks, let me tell you that FAB knows more about this and pirates than any of us will ever know.
Jim

OK,

Will one of you please post this for me. I have registered and registered and now the CM autotext is asking for my parents to sign an agreement - I hate computers.

So, at the moment I can't get in and this stuff needs to be said

I am now going to have a large whisky or 10 to get over arguing with a dumb computer. If you could send me the link when posted.

Thanks

FAB or FAB2 or whatever the computer now things I am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pirate Attacks Seabourne Spirit.
OK kiddies, let’s get one thing clear – the pirates that attacked ‘Seabourn Spirit’ had no intention of actually boarding the vessel. I had been waiting for something like this to happen but thought it would occur somewhere in the Malacca region. Somalia does have a bad pirate problem but they are not the organized guys you find around Indonesia, Malaysia and South China Sea.

We also have to understand that pirates come in a couple of different shapes. The first lot is usually hungry fishermen and general deadbeats who try and knock over small private vessels and larger ships alongside or at anchor. These are mainly after stores that they can then flog on the black market where food and liquor demand almost as high a price as for the sale of people. This group is usually not very good at what they try and do and usually get either caught or driven off - unless they are in Indonesia where, for some reason, they seen incapable of catching pirates.

Then there is the second lot, these are a very different kettle of fish. These guys are part of a very large (but fragmented) terrorist system. They are well trained and have different duties. Some are raiders that go out and steal whole vessels, for various uses (the existing crew become very … ‘expendable’. Others are intelligence gathers, this lot stay close to large ports and work as crew members on multiple ships. Their duty is to build a pattern of international shipping. They probe for weak spots and it all gets recorded.

They mob that went for the Seabourn Spirit belong to the second lot and are called ‘disrupters’. Their job it to make mischief in areas where it will result in industry wide panic and the outlay of huge amounts of money to counter any possible further events along the same lines. All is simply to degrade the comfort of the Western Style of living. They are well aware that western media loves to boost a story to get top ratings and all they have to do then is sit back and watch everybody run around like chooks with their heads cut off.

In my website I have direct link to the ICC Commercial Crime Service weekly piracy report and I get countless emails from people amazed at what they read. However, what gets reported there is only about one tenth of what actually happens. Mostly the really bad stuff happens in the wings and doesn’t involve outside nations but believe me there is a lot of very nasty stuff constantly occurring.

To win all you have to do is ignore what happened and continue as normal – don’t go demanding more security, more of this more of that – that’s what these guys want you to do.

Oh! By the way – under present conditions the chances of these guys ever getting caught is ‘0’.

Have a ripper day

FAB2
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks Jim and FAB. Great words of advice; live normally.

I knew a Navy skipper that 25 years ago wrapped barb wire around his supply ship while in the Indian Ocean; especially near the Straights of Malacca. This is nothing new; just chose a target that would get more noticed.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

on the TV last night (not sure which news show) they were talking about the sound devise that the cruise ship has and used against the pirates. It was very interesting. This devise emits a very high decible, pitched noise that is focused and drives would be criminals away. Very effective in this situation.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Yeoman

I heard of the sound waves too. Very effective. And I also agree the poster. I won't let then scare me (terrorist/pirates) into hiding and not enjoying life. This is a big planet, I haven't seen it all yet!
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Very interesting. Thanks Jim and FAB.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 12th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Passenger

Default Information on Seaborn Spirit and Pirates

As to the sound screens – well, I hate to rain on anybody’s parade but they are only good against the lesser level of pirate i.e. out of work fishermen and general deadbeats. To the organized terrorist style pirate they are less than a deterrent. These guys can counter sound with ease – they have gear that makes the military stuff look obsolete – but that is not their strength. Their real strength is that they don’t need all the state of the art flash gizmos. Give them a good old AK47 a pocket full of biscuits and a pocket full of ammo and they can take care of themselves. Remember they are not hampered by ‘ethics’ or their own media, both print and electronic, constantly stabbing them in the back.

Sound and flash devises are very politically correct and media friendly methods of countering terrorists/pirates, trouble is you might just as well be chucking candyfloss at them.
It appears that some people still don’t get it – this isn’t small time stuff, this is the real thing and I have the scars to prove it. Sorry Lisa but sound is not the answer – I know what is but if printed it here I would be accused of everything under the sun and I am now far too old and fed-up for all that stuff.

FAB (Harry)
www.themuckyducks.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Admiral

As one who is aware of some of what FAB is talking about I agree, these type of 'people' simply need to be killed. There is just unfortunately no other way to deal with them and they will not stop or be deterred until they are dead. Now that they know about this audio defense they will simply use ear protection. Our 'right to know' that the press keeps telling us about is doing untold damage to our country. They do not really care about your right to information but only that they have the right to find out about anything in order to sell more newspapers, TV, radio, etc. As someone who worked in National Intelligence I can personally tell you that there are many things that you do not have the right to know simply because it will hurt others and the safety of this country, not to mention shock you. I do not think that our government or any government should be allowed to run amok but trust me, there are poleanty of checks in place to prevent this without our news media trying to tell everyone they are our watchdogs. So long as the news media runs like entertainment it will never be completely honest and so long as the executives of these media outlets have personal adgendas it will never be fair in reporting.
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I've always thought it would be a incredible experience to get a sailboat and sail around the world... but now I wonder just how dangerous it would be, especially in certain areas! I guess experienced sailors know what parts of the world to avoid, and to always keep their guard up. If I ever did get a chance to sail around the world, how would I get more information about this stuff?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 12th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Michelle,

You can still sail around the world; all it needs is a bit of planning and to know the spots to avoid. If you click the link in my website called ‘Weekly Piracy Report’ it gives all the unsafe areas. Use this to educate yourself as to the ‘patterns’ that these chaps follow (and chapesses who are even more vicious). The US Coast Guard has heaps of info on the subject as do other government agencies around the globe.

The burning question is whether to carry arms or not incase something goes wrong. My answer to this is that, unless you are very expert in the use of firearms, forget it. Plus, it causes all sorts of problems when entering and leaving countries if you have an armed vessel. The paperwork is endless. Having a large crew helps, the yachts most at risk are the ones with only a couple in the crew.

Avoid Indonesia and Malaysia (they are simply not worth the risk). If you have to transit the Malacca area, try and do it in convoy with others. Do not stop at night or for any reason. Let me put it this way, I always had a good crew around me and we never went unarmed in that particular part of the world and these were often used. The coastguard will give you all the guff on the Caribbean areas to avoid and I doubt you would want to go into Somali waters in the first place.

When you get down to it, you are in far more danger from bad weather than from pirates – still why push the odds. Make life easy for yourself – just sail down to Australia and go on an almighty pub crawl – you will have heaps more fun, all that sailing stuff is very tiring.

Have a ripper day

FAB (Harry)
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks Harry! Maybe someday I will get to do it - or better yet just fly to Australia and go on a pub crawl!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 12th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Many people do not know it but our FAB is an author who has a great book out called "The Mucky Ducks" It has many a tale about 'pirates' in it and a great book to read. I could not put it down either the first OR second time I read it. As it was published overseas you might have a time locating a copy but you can try Amazon and maybe some Aussie websites for books. Harry, you have anyplace those that would like to read it can find it. It ain't advertising when we have to ask mate. <G>
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Well Jim, it hasn’t been picked up by any North American bookstores so the best way to get it is online. There is a link in the website or you can go directly to www.zeus-publications.com/the_mucky_ducks.htm
If you go via Zeus you have a chance to read all the blurp so you can decide if you want to read it or not.

In Oz it's in Dymocks and most Airport bookstores (there must be a message there somewhere) and I think Barnes and Noble in Oz have it. As you know it's released under the name of Hendrick van der Zee. Some mob in Scandinavia have it and it is going to be translated into Norwegian and Swedish.

It's not fot for everybody - the greatest surprise has been how many 'positive' emails I have had from females - I thought it was a book for the male side of the coin. Beats me but there again I was never much good at the thinking lark.

Have a bonza day

Harry