Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Default RCI Mariner of the Seas -OR- Celebrity Milennium

Hi Everyone

My fiance and I are ready to book our honeymoon on one of these 2 ships departing on 4/2/06. I've read through the forums but can't find anything 100% specific to my question. We've got it narrowed down between the RCI Mariner of the Seas and the Celebrity Millennium for the honeymoon. I know that Mariner is bigger, but is it "too big"? Is the level of service on Celebrity *so* much better that I'd be silly to pass it up, or is RCI just as good? I only get one honeymoon and want to have the most fun possible. If anyone has an opinion on this, please share it with me. thanks in advance and I'm glad to have found this great new website.

Oh yeah, we're both 30 and have sailed on just about every Carnival cruise available.

Thanks
JC
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are fantastic cruise lines.
Celebrity is our favorite cruise line but is more reserved.
Royal Caribbean is more laid back and seems to cater to the younger generation (not that Celebrity is for the older folks). You will find on each cruise line the fun that you make of it.

Since it is your honeymoon you will enjoy either line. No one can spoil the moment of the line and excursions and cruisers you will meet on the honeymoon.

You have sailed Carnival and giving another cruise line a chance is commendable.
If I read between the lines Royal Caribbean might be a better choice.
Think now about the itinerary and ports of call. Do you wish the pampered side? How about the cabin being booked, balcony, suite etc?

The Millennium is about 1950 passengers, have not been on the Mariner but have been on the Voyager, over 3000 passengers and did not feel crowded.

To the nitty gritty, Millenium will give you a more intimate cruise as Mariner might be the fun you are looking for in a honeymoon cruise.

The best thing to do is to continue and ask questions here on the message boards.

We here at CruiseMates are here to help.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver _ Alaska _ Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old November 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Default Big Thanks and A bump

Thanks for the advice. I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is if availibility of activities trump service, and I know that's a decision I need to make but I appreciate the help in getting to that point.

I've been told that a couple of reasons to stay away from the Royal Caribbean ship is that a) it's just too darn big, and b) too many kids. (and maybe spring breakers at that time of year) The last thing I want to do on the honeymoon is spend the nights doing jello shots with a bunch of 19 year olds.

So, with the ports of call being about equal in our eyes, I'm leaning towards Celebrity for the service (why not be treated like a king, it's my honeymoon?) and of course the food. (I'm somewhat of a "foodie") but she's into Royal Caribbean because she feels there's so much more to do.

Oh yeah, can I expect 24 hour room service on Celebrity?

Can anyone comment on the level of service btwn the 2 lines? We talk about Celebrity being more "service oriented" but where will I really be able to see that difference? Of course, coming from many years of carnival, I know that both will be a step up, but I'd love to hear of some specifics or any impressions that anyone has. I've spent the weekend reading this site and it's fast become my #1 internet destination.

Thanks!
Jason
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

I think Y2c has nailed this.
I have cruised four times on RCI and once on the Millennium ( April 2005 ). Overall I would give the " slight " edge to Celebrity but not by much. I personally found the RCI ships to be more visually appealing. I rate the service as equal on both lines. The service in the DR was more formal on Celebrity but I actually enjoyed the less formal style on RCI.
As respects food Celebrity wins this category hands down.
I suspect you might enjoy the more upbeat casual style on RCI slightly more.
You can't go wrong with either.

Regards,
Ben
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Having cruised on both ships, I would recommend Millennium, if for no other reason, too many children, which it sounds like you do not want. Celebrity can give you a lovely time for such a special occassion as your honeymoon. 24 hour room service, yes! I would also suggest to get a Consierge room, CC, little extras that will make your time in the cabin special, also if you want a large balcony try to get cabin CC in the rear (aft).
Mariner is a big ship, but easy to get around on. We enjoyed different things from the 2 ships. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.