Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Ladies I need Help!

Want to buy a very special evening dress for my cruises. Small town here so will have to do it on line. Do you have a special place you go to for this sort of thing? I typed in Evening wear and up popped a beautiful dress, but it cost 10,000 dollars. If I can't live in it with my family, that is to much money.

Thanks,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Have you thought about eBay? I've seen some fantastic things there, new with tags, for cheap! I haven't personally bought clothes from anyone on eBay but I have friends who have, and they had great luck.

Also, do you have a local consignment shop? Just this weekend I bought an absolutely gorgeous formal dress for my next cruise at a consignment shop for just $25.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 12th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Believe it or not, some 2nd hand shops have some top brand name, exclusive designer stuff. If you're lucky enough to find something you like in your size, you could get away with a $10 or $20 designer dress!

donna
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Luanne, what size range are you? That makes a difference - I'm a "fluffy" person (understatement of the year <G>) and I have lots of suggestions for plus sizes, but I have a feeling you aren't one of those!

Newport News has lots of pretty things for what seems like reasonable prices, and so does Coldwater Creek. Both have on-line sites.

I also recommend Ebay - I've bought lots of stuff, including clothes, on there. READ the auction and pay attention to feedback, and I think you'll do REALLY well on there.

Keep us posted on what you find! (Oh, and after you buy the dress, we'll talk about shoes.....<G>)
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

i also recommend EBay, got 2 dresses for cruising and shoes too! Always check out the references on the person selling first. good luck.
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Okay, I have found something. It is black, with layers of ruffles, with shiney things on it. Yuk that doesn't sound good, but it's cute. I have a total of three formal nights so I am still looking for something else, if someone has ideas. I tried all of the ideas given, thanks Ebay is something I have never dealt with, so probably need instructions

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Ebay is easy! Go to their website - www.ebay.com - and they have good instructions for newbies. Click on the HELP button at the top of the screen on the home page. And then scroll down until you see a section called "New to eBay". Read those sections, and you'll be a pro in no time!
If you have questions, I've been on eBay forever, and I'd be happy to help.

Now...we need a pic of the black with ruffles and sparkly things!

Have FUN shopping!
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Passenger

Luanne try bloomingdales.com
I have bought things there great quality and bordeline pricing. They have a large selectionof different clothing and I think you will find something to yourtaste. Good Luck let me know how you make out.
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Luanne - to heck with ordering a dress - you have to go shopping!!! Get the kids a sitter and take off for the day (or even overnight) to the big city - it would be a holiday before the holiday. Or you could take the kiddies with you for some Christmas window shopping

Barring that - the thrift stores are a great idea. Good luck with whatever you decide - YOU GO GIRL!!! We will, however, need to see photos so we can be sure you've made the right choices

ttfn Jennifer
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Admiral

good for you Luanne. Just one thought from a man's perspective: Don't do a pants suit for formal night. Women are much more attractive in a gown.

Regards,
Thomas (ducking rolling pins now)
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Luanne, Chadwicks.com has some very pretty evening wear at reasonable prices.
If you want a classic look check out Talbots.com
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with Jennifer. GO SHOPPING. Too many times I've ordered clothes online, only to have to send them back for many reasons. Sizes cut wrong, not as cute as picture, cute in picture/ugly on. You get the idea. Nothing is more fun than shopping for beautiful clothes. Then again, nothing is more fun than shopping. Oh no, I'm beginning to sound like Trip.