Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Admiral

Default How many people have emergency food supplies?

Do you have an emergency food and water supply?

I live in an active earthquake area and have recently set up my emergency supply,
which cost me approx. $50 to $80 NZ.
This does not include some batteries, torches and a portable radio but does include 10 to 15 litres of water (which is quite frankly, not enough).

I am concerned it is not, at this time complete.
Especially after what I have seen after Wilma etc .

Do you have or not have set up this supply?

(I encourage everyone who even takes the time to click on this topic to do so!!!!!!!!!)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Admiral

I have to admit that we don't have an emergency supply kit in either of our homes. We aren't in Florida for the hurricane season, and we have never felt the need for one in WI. I do think they are important, I just haven't felt the need to have one. I'm glad you are putting one together Liam. Hope you you never have to use it.

Phyll
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Liam--Great post to discuss. Thanks for starting this and caring.

I used to be a Girl Scout (many, many years ago), we were taught to BE PREPARED. Yes I have an emergency kit. I have batteries & replacement bulbs for 3 different types of flashlights/lanterns, emergency blankets, small portable radio, "women" items, small first aid kit, personal care toiletries, small towels, hand can/bottle opener, camping utensils, sharp knife and other items of this nature. I also have a food/water kit. It consists of peanut butter, crackers, canned tuna & chicken, plenty of water for 3 days, canned fruit, granola bars, etc. I keep the supplies in a 2 large plastic bins in my basement. I have a date marked on my calendar so I remember to check the expiration dates of some of the foods & medicines. When it gets close to the date, I use the food in the bins and replace it with new stuff. We eat everything in the bins regularly, so I don't feel I'm wasting money.

Everyone should have some type of kit set and ready to go. Nowadays you just don't know. I may be over reacting but better safe than sorry.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Liam, you are right to be prepared. We don't necessarily have emergency food supplies, but one thing we are always stocked up on are emergency candles and flashlights with batteries. After the Ice Storm of 98, with no power for 8 days (longer in some areas), we will never be without them again!

donna
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Admiral

As a matter of fact we do. It is kind of left over from the Y2K thing. It is a good idea though. It is mostly can goods. As far as the water goes, we have an open running spring coming from the Mtn that is less than a mile away. It was discovered in the late 1800's and has NEVER stopped giving that very cold stream of water out of the side of the Mtn. So, we have our water supply and a way to get to it. You just never do know when that emergency supply might come in handy. With hurricanes(we do not have), tornados, or any other catastrophe, you just can not be too prepared. Good Thread Liam. Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Captain

That is a good idea and has caused me to think. At this point, I have three cans of peas. Yuck!
Karen
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

No, in reality, I don't. We don't normally have any natural disasters here in the Arizona desert. I do, however, always have several gallons of water on hand.
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

For all you that say you live in an area that you don't need to worry, your wrong. First of all I know I don't need to remind you of the times we live in.

But does anybody remember that big blackout a few years ago, that effected the east coast to Michigan? Can't remember the year... Well, we were in that! The scariest part was that everybody went into survivor mode. It became a rush for the quickest, strongest and fastest to grab up supplies as fast as everybody could. Only most the stores closed their doors. It was a feeling I never want to experience again, and never thought it would happen here.

Liam, thankyou for posting this because I do need to get out and get some stuff. We are coming into winter and lose power often. It's a good reminder to get out and get the stuff I need.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We do have everything, only because of my husbands job. It is always good to be prepared no matter where you live.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Well because we live in Florida it is pretty much a no-brainer but even if we lived elsewhere....you really should. We have enough food for 2 weeks, a deep well for water and septic with a generator to run these things along with refridgeration and lights and other necessities. Plenty of gas to run the generator full time for a week. If push can to shove these supplies could easily be made into a month's supply. I am a firm believer that people need to look out for themselves and be able to survive easily on their own for extended periods of time without help from any outside sources. We even have a tent and other bedding stored in the shed outside. One also should help their nieghbors in times of need as well.
Jim
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Living in Florida we do. When the powers that be tell you to have some much of this and that to be prepared, I recommend do it! If we all did we wouldn't have so many long lines of people for the basic needs to get us thru until power is restored etc. Of course if everything you owned blew away thats a whole different story, but some people never learn. leaving it up to the governmant to take care of them and then complain when it isn't done fast enough.
OK! I will now get off my soap box.
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

After going thru a hurricane a few years back here on the east coast of Va. I also have my backup supplies ready. Live and learn. One thing I also found that was needed during that time is CASH MONEY,,,with no power the banks were closed as well as the atm's. So if you get any "warnings" of inclement weather or such,,,it might be a good idea to head to the bank b/4.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In our area we are not in a earthquake, flood or hurricane zone. The greatest threat is severe weather (tornadoes, thunderstorms and blizzards). These storms can knock power and access to the outside for days.

I do have candles, lanterns, propane heaters, battery radios, television, spare batteries and a portable generator that will run the furnace, pump, stove and some lights for about three days. More if I siphon the gas out of the cars.

I learned this lesson the hard way in 1991 when we were basically trapped in the house for five days after we had 37 inches of snow on October 31st through November 2nd. We never had our road plowed for five days and no power for three and it was well below freezing. We made it through just fine but it was a bit uncomfortable.

Foodwise: There is always enough in the pantry and freezer to survive on for months. If you're hungry you're not picky.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Emergency food supply? I'm lucky if I have 2 nights worth of dinner in my cupboard.

We have lots of other emergency supplies because of our monthly camping. Everything we need except food. Dh drinks bottled water, so there's always plenty.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Admiral

Living in Florida of course we have emergency supplies. I keep a case of beer in the trunk of the car and a generator to keep the fridge running. I can use the pool water to flush the used beer down the toilet ! !

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Thank you all for your replies and I am taking the time to reply to all.

With that said, I see I am woefully under supplied in this category, especially the medical alcohol department .

Phyll, I hope you get yourself organized as I am trying to do as we can't get buy without you. lol

nolou, you are so well organized it is scary, especially that you have opened my eyes as to how badly I am not. grrrrr lol.

RD Grrr lol next sunday's shopping list will include candles and "matches" to lite/light (darn english language) them.

big john I am jealous of your water supply!!!!

Karen if they are mushy peas then there's nothing wrong with that, apart from it only lasting a couple of days????

dezertcruzer Expect the unexpected. tee hee Do meeeee a favor and double that water supply.

TBug, here here (SP?) Better safe than sorry. Everyone needs to be prepared. What happens if a bird flue pandemic strikes this world?
You didn't expect that did you????

Luanne, do you have everything? I know now, I don't have everything but plan to add to my supply on a weekly basis, including getting some plastic bins to store them as nolou suggested.

Jim you are my hero and I hope that I can be as prepared as you are?
Have you passed this info onto your neighbors?

fllady, I hope you have stores in that soap box of yours?
Lets hope that this message thread helps make our cruisemates lives more comfortable during an emergency?

Travelnut I had never thought of the cash thingy and will make sure I have at least some cash on hand as credit/debit cards are no good during a power cut.

Mike, that is a scary story. Thank goodness we don't get heavy snow over here, but you never know do you?

Dorothy, spend a few dollars for piece of mind??

And finally "Thomas" LMAO!! It is good to see your humour has returned. Your message provoked me to write this reply. Thank you!!!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Since I work as a cook I barely even shop any more. I eat at work and rarely cook or eat at home. All that will have to change later when Patty moves in but for now no groceries or emergency supplies on hand.

Laura
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

i have a pretty well stocked pantry - canned veggies, soups, tunafish, canned pasta things like that. Have the batteries, flashlights, candles, portable generator, sleeping bags and the camper for a small place that warms up in a hurry.
I do need to stockup on the bottled water
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM
First Mate

After the blackout a couple years ago, and watching people walk out of NYC, I decided to do some self-evaluating.

I spend 11 hours a day away from home, which includes my workday and commuting. That means there is almost a 50/50 chance something bad could happen when I’m away from home during the week. Even more if you take into account that the workday is prime target for the disgruntled sub population of the world that hates us.

I came to the conclusion I needed to be prepared and decided I needed a “Get Me Home Bag?. In it I have the basic stuff….small first aid kit, change of clothes, flashlight, some glow sticks, a couple bottles of water, map of town, a small button compass, rain poncho, some cash, etc. A pair of comfortable hiking/walking shoes to change into also.

All is stored in an old book bag leftover from college and it rides mundanely on the back seat of my truck. Worst comes to worst I can walk home or hang out at work if I absolutely have to.

At home I have enough canned food and normal stuff to last a few days.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90