Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default My Dad sometimes amazes me

My Dad and I don't see eye to eye on many things these days. He has become this crotchety old mountain man living alone in the Adirondaks in our family's vacation home. He is 80 years old and has been fighting bladder cancer (and apparently winning) for the last few years. He has a few other ailments, not unusual for 80.
He is suprisingly good physical condition from walking and rowing and even carrying wood into the house to heat it. He still swims in the summer
and a couple of times a year will put on his skiis and take a few runs over at Gore Mountain. Over 70 you ski for free.
He had pretty bad arthritus in his left knee and a lot of chronic pain so he checked himself into the Veterans hospital in Albany last Thursday and had a knee replacement done. They checked him out of the hospital this morning and he drove himself (80 miles) home. It seems since Thursday evening he has been walking without a walker or cane. I'm positive by the new year he will go skiing (at least one run).
Don't tell him I'm still bragging about him because he won't speak to you either.
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It amazes me just reading it!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Wow, that is great PapaBill!! I can only hope my father is still that lively when he gets to that point. He had a knee replacement about a year and a half ago, it amazed me that he was walking on it the next day!!
It just goes to show you, stay young in the heart and mind, and you can be young forever!!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Admiral

That is amazing PapaBill. I have a friend up in WI who is a lot like him only he hasn't gotten to that crotchety solitary part yet. :-) I hope your dad continues to enjoy life and do the things he loves for as long as he can.

Phyll
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Admiral

What is amazing is you! Yes, I agree that your Dad is special but what I got out of that story was how honorable of you to write such a sweet, loving story of your father. Sometimes we all get so busy that we don't stop and smile at the amazing people around us, even with all their quirks. I'm impressed that you noticed and took the time to tell us. It shows the person you are as well!!

Thanks for sharing.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Yeoman

Hi Bill:
What a story. Do you know if your Dad had what is known as " minimally invasive knee replacement " surgery ?
My brother is scheduled to have this procedure next week and it involves a smaller cut and less cut into the muscle and supposedly he can walk the next day and go home. I had my dad and other brother that had knee replacement and it was not any thing as rapid as that.
Hope he continues to do well !

Regards,
Ben
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Admiral

PapaBill, sounds to me like you are as proud of your father as you are of your grandchildren, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, even if he doesn't talk to you!

donna