Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Seasons

There was a man who had four sons. He wanted his sons to learn not to judge things too quickly. So he sent them each on a quest, in turn, to go and look at a pear tree that was a great distance away.

The first son went in the winter, the second in the spring, the third in summer, and the youngest son in the fall.

When they had all gone and come back, he called them together to describe what they had seen.

The first son said that the tree was ugly, bent, and twisted.

The second son said no it was covered with green buds and full of promise.
The third son disagreed; he said it was laden with blossoms that smelled so sweet and looked so beautiful, it was the most graceful thing he had ever seen.
The last son disagreed with all of them; he said it was ripe and drooping with fruit, full of life and fulfillment.
The man then explained to his sons that they were all right, because they had each seen but only one season in the tree's life.
He told them that you cannot judge a tree, or a person, by only one season, and that the essence of who they are and the pleasure, joy, and love that come from that life can only be measured at the end, when all the seasons are up.
If you give up when it's winter,! you will miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, fulfillment of your fall.
Moral:
Don't let the pain of one season destroy the joy of all the rest.
Don't judge life by one difficult season.
Persevere through the difficult patches and better times are sure to come some time or later.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Captain

luanne i liked the story but when your winter is six months long and you
have bitter wind chills and snow up to your knee caps you would be sick of winter too and would last favoirte season i forget about the cabin fever
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Admiral

Wow Luanne,

I really needed that post.

I have been really feeling poorly lately, I have thought perhaps I am depressed. I've been depressed before, but have always been able to pull myself out of it. But this one is just so different, the harder I try to do the right things, eat better, exercise, help others, think of good things, keep busy, it seems the less I can do. I have pretty much reduced my life to going to work, staying the least time I absolutely have to, doing the barest of errands, doing the least I can around the house, then retreat to my chair. I'm tired all the time, and my body is shutting down.

This morning when I woke up I realized that I really am depressed, then when I read your post I realized that I'm caught in between two seasons. Late fall/early winter - the leaves are all gone the grass is all dead, there is mud on the ground and no pure white snow to cover up the mud, and the sky is grey. But I do know that even in this dry period that on days when the sun does shine it casts a golden sheen on to those dry brown colors. Because I can still find some beauty in the season, it tells me I still have hope.

Your post has given me cause for thought. I guess now I have to decide what to do with what I've learned.

I know this is long and my make no sense to you, but just wanted to thank you. I believe that you posted it this morning for a reason, and that it was something I needed to read. Thank you Luanne. I appreciate your faithfulness to everyone on the Board.
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Wow. I'm glad Luanne's post helped Jen. But I too have been feeling "Bleah" lately, mostly due I believe, to the long drawn out change of season here and the fact I don't look forward to the winter coming. However, I am still able to appreciate the beauty of golden fallen leaves on a sunny day, or like last night, a dark sky, a full moon, and the starkness of the bare branches outlined by that full moon. I guess what I'm trying to say, is if you're feeling a little blue, stop and "Smell the roses" (or the woodsmoke in this case!)
Thanks for the post Luanne.

donna
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Depression strikes everyone at one time or the other. It is important to speak to someone about it, but probably the hardest thing to do. When your mind tells you that life is no good, it is hard to change that mind. We have to look for the enter peace that we all hold, and you have to not only believe in yourself, but something better than you.
I understand depression, need someone. PM me. Let;'s talk

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Yeoman

Default Seasons

I describe the feeling as melancholy; getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark. Today was rainy all day and started getting dark around 3:00 p.m. New Englanders start to hibernate like bears. I will never understand why they don't leave daylight savings time alone. In the Spring every part of me feels alive; no struggle there. Oh well, we have Fla. to look forward to and the Carribean. If we didn't cruise in December or January I'd just shrivel up and fade away.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07