Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Default Kidney stones UGH!!!!!

Just got a phone call from my son that he is having ANOTHER kidney stone attack. This makes number 8. Hopefully this one will be like 6 of the others and pass without problems, just lots of pain. He had to have one zapped back in March. He did fine with the surgery and I got a trip to Florida. I would rather though that he stopped getting them. Oh well, I was the same way when I was his age.
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Yikes.

I had a teacher in high school, a very large, imposing man about six foot four and 300 or so pounds, who thought he was "Mr. Tough Guy". They picked him up off the classroom floor one day, writhing in pain in the fetal position. Kidney stones, the "Mouse that Roared".

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

CC--you are right about the "mouse that roared". I have passed over 30 stones since I was 18 (I'm 47 now). I have also had 2 kids. The pain from kidney stones is so bad, I would rather have had 2 stones and 30 kids.

I can't imagine pain any worse than kidney stones. I will say that after passing all those stones, my intolerance to other pain is amazing.
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

CC, which teacher was that? I probably knew him too, but I must've missed the kidney stone incident!

donna
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Admiral

RD> That would be "Big John" Allen. Taught chemistry.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Cheryl, one of my brothers body porduces lots of kidney stones. He went to the Mayo clinic this year, and they have put him on a diet that seems to be helping. One thing they told him was no sodas, and to drink tons of strong fresh squeezed lemonade.
Hope your brother doesn't have to continue to battle this problem.

Phyll
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Thanks Phyll. It's actually my son who has the stones. I will tell him about the no soda, drink lemonade thing.
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Cheryl.......Larry use to get kidney stones alot.....his doctor put him oh Urocit-K. He hasn't had any since......knock wood.....& he's been on the pills for probably 10 years....never could pass the stones, had to have them removed.......you might want to ask his doc........

Sharon
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Cheryl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's stones. I have also been "blessed" by the kidney stone fairy about 8 times (I'm 28.). The last time was last April, and I had that one trying to move out for 3 months!!!! Thankfully, I have always been able to pass them on my own. I have gotten to the point were Vicodin dosen't help. I usually end up in the ER with Morphine being injected into my IV. I hate those little boogers, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy!! DH wants to start having kids, from what I hear after having stones, it should be a piece of cake!

I wish your son luck, and sending him some prayers!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Cheryl: Sorry to hear of you son's "passing".

Ok but seriously, why do some people get these and others don't? What causes them?

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Captain

i hope your son is feeling better soon
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I didn't have my first kidney stone attacks until I was 45. This was before the advent of ESWL (Extra Corporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy), the procedure that pulverizes big stones for easy passage. I passed the first one that time, but the second one a few weeks later was too big and had to be removed surgically.

I didn't have another episode for the next 20 years or so, and then they started up again big-time. Since 1998 (when I was 67) I've had about 40 stones of varying sizes. In 1998 alone I had 20 stones, half of which required me to undergo a total of five ESWL treatments. I had my most recent "blasting" about 2 months ago, when I had a 15mm stone broken up. But only about of the fragments were passed, so I'll probably have to do it again right after our upcoming cruise. It will be my 11th ESWL! The story of my life, it seems.

As to what causes them, it's "different strokes for different folks". In my case, a prime cause has been a lack of citrate (which helps in stone prevention). I also have been taking Urocit-K for the past 6 years or so, and it has definitely helped to slow down my stone formation. But nothing seems able to stop them completely.

Cheryl, I really feel for your son and hope that his doctors can find the root cause of his stone production and stop it dead in its tracks. I'd hate to think of him having to go through life with these monsters, as you yourself have. I'll be sure to say a prayer for him (and you). We stone-sufferers have gotta stick together.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Admiral

So sorry to hear he is suffering again. My niece has problems with kidney stones. It is just horrific. Praying it will be an easy passing.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Default Kidney Stones Ugh!!

So sorry to hear about your son's problem. Kidney stones sound awful. I've never known anyone who had them. I hope your son feels better soon.

Judy
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Sorry to hear that and give him my sympathy. Like Jack and some others I make stones fast enough to pave my driveway. Have passed many and had the lipsotripsy four times, maybe five don't remember. It is just not a fun thing. I might point out that presently I have four in the left and six in the right. Usually it it no big deal but when they move around like the last two days not much can ease the pain. I am taking five pain meds right now including Vicodin and Morphine and guess what, it still hurts! The only good thing is that like everything in this life, all things pass.
Jim
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Admiral

His like mine are made up of calcium. He watches what he eats but he seems to still make them. I was the same way when I was younger. After an IVP when I was about 25, the doctor told me both kidneys were like a rock garden. I, knock on wood, haven't had a stone for about a year. He has percocet for the pain, which he hates to take. He tries to control the pain with heavy doses of Advil. He doesn't like taking drugs at all. I have to treat mine with Demerol, since I am highly allergic to Percocet.
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Captain

Cheryl, Has he tried B-6? That is what my Doc has me on. I cannot count how many I have had in the last 10 years. Have blown out my knee twice, screwed up my back (jumping out of Helicopters) Air Assault! 5 knee surgeries and shoulder all of it combined does not even come close to the pain. I really feel for your son and hope and pray he passes them with out too much pain

John...."Go Irish" 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

I had my first kidney stons (and please, my last!) 2 years ago around Thanksgiving. I was unable to attend the dinner because of the pain, but at dinner my hsuband passed around the cell phone so at least I got to say hello to everyone!

That evening, the stone passed and the pain was instantly gone! You can be sure I was at the toy store at 5 a.m. the next morning for the after Thanksgiving sales!!! hahaha

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

The nurse I go to for acupuncture gave me some information on a Orential 'drug' that is supposed to dissolve stones and prevent them from coming back. There is a 'Doctor' here that I need to go see to get this stuff. <G> I am thinking about it! It's called "Stone Formula" "Jie Shi Ling"
Jim
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Admiral

A sad thread indeed, I will add my two cents.

Before I met Judy, I was awakened one night by the most horrific pain imaginable. I remember thinking, "Let me die quickly and end this."

The doctor gave me pain killer and called it "gravel" which later passed easily. That was over 30 years ago and thank God it never happened again.

I have the upmost sympathy for anyone who goes through this even once.

Keith