Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Patty and I are ging to the school where I work and help cook a traditional dinner. Some of the kids do not get to go home for the holiday and are left at the school. My boss has been volunteering to cook them a dinner. He brings his family and all help out. I thought this might be a fun way to spend the holiday.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

What a nice thing to do for the students.
My son will be here for a few days, but not over the Thanksgiving holiday
We will go out to eat with friends. Looking for a good restrauant that doesn't charge a lot for the weight watchers here.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Tony and I are going to my mom and dad's. My aunt & uncle from Connecticut will be there, along with two of my three brothers and their families. Tony and I will only stay until around 7:00 pm or so. I have to be at WalMart at 4:00 am to get ready for the crowds of people who will start their shopping at 5:00 am when we open.

My kids aren't coming home for Thanksgiving. Instead they are going to Universal Studios in Orlando with about 12 other kids not going home. It's okay though since they will be home for their winter break on December 16th.

Laura--that is a very nice thing you and Patty are doing.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Yeoman

we are going to Las vegas to celebrate with my husbands family. My son will stay with his new Grandma-in-law while we stay in a hotel

I think it is great to help with the kids who have no place to go either. When i lived in germany, I used to have a huge thanksgiving feast for all the soldiers who had no one. They really thanked me for that. my turn out was normally 15-18 GI's, and I was 19 years old, cooking for all these guys.

I know that people appreciate gestures like that and am so happy to see others show kindness like you and yours are doing.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Captain

i'm going to my mom and dad for dinner not much going on
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Not much going on for Marj and me except we are leaving on our cruise that afternoon

Cheryl do you need to borrow my stun gun and electric cattle prod for Black Friday??

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Doug--luckily I work in the cash office, so the only time I have to deal with the hourdes of shoppers is when I go to pull money from the registers. But I may take you up on that offer. Last year, shoppers wouldn't move out of the way so I could get through with my "war wagon". (This is what we call our large lock box bolted to a shopping carriage.) It amazes me at the crowd of people that come out to shop. I'll start pulling thousands of dollars from the registers about 30 minutes after we open.

I go out on the floor to watch the people come in when we open. They are just like a herd of cattle, pushing and shoving each other to get to the "bargains". We've even had old ladies fighting with people over the last of an item and others stealing things from other shoppers carriages. It's just plain madness but really fun to be a part of.
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

We are going to friends for dinner, I'll be making a cake to bring. We were going to eat out alone, until they heard of it.
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This year it will be a bit different: Our son is in Birmingham working on a contract and with the new baby we are going to be cooking dinner at my daughter's and SIL's.

We will be doing most of the preparations at home and taking it over . It is a bit of a task cooking among the menagerie, (Kramer will have to be on his best behavior around the birds) , but it will be nice not to have to do the clean up at our house. It will also help them in not having to bring the baby over and have to rush home to take care of any hospitalized animals.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I seem to be the designated Thanksgiving hostess in our family. This will be the 19th year! Holy cow! Holy turkey! I think we're going to be a crowd of 13 or so.
Will set up tables pool side since the dining room won't hold that many. This is our 3rd year in this house and this has worked out well but makes me crazy watching the weather the couple of days before hand. It still beats the drill at the old house which was moving furniture around to accomodate tables.
Angela Z.
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanksgiving is my holiday to cook, but I have to work til noon that day, and George will have to put the bird in the oven around 11:00, the rest I'll have to do, but can usually have things organized the day before, so its not too bad and I love cooking for thanksgiving anyway, love those leftovers too! My son and his wife will be in the process of moving, so not sure how that will effect things, hope they can stop in for something to eat.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Going to my parents' house in the Florida panhandle. I'm supposed to be up there the following week for a test anyway, so I'll end up staying about a week, which is nice.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Default What is Everyone Doing for Thanksgiving?

Darned if I know Haven't heard from SIL's family. We'll either cook in or go out, I guess. Now that Keith is "back," it would be nice to stay in and not have to drive for an hour.

We leave for Phoenix the day after Thanksgiving to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of Keith's brother, Wendell, and his wife. SIL, wife, daughter, and son are going, too. Keith's niece planned it all. She must have invited a crowd, because the party will be held at a restaurant.

Judy
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'll be working - not time to cook a big dinner.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Shall be on the Caribbean Princess during Thanksgiving. Have Lobster tails that evening and filet. 3 more days!
Shall eat turkey when I come home.
Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Dar4960 Send a message via Yahoo to Dar4960

I'll be spending Thanksgiving alone..my daughter will not be able to be home as she works doing the same job as I have in the pharmacy. She and I will be cruising together Dec. 10th on the GLORY so that will be our time for Thanksgiving, I am thankful for her as it's just she and I. May each of you have a blessed Thanksgiving, I am very blessed for the friends here at Cruisemates.
Darlene
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Spending it with the in-laws as usual.
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We will be sharing dinner with one of my sons, and my grandaughter. Once again, the hunt begins for the largest turkey, east of the Mississippi..
The most wanted dish is the stuffing, so the bigger the better is their thinking. I wish you all the best day, whatever your plans, and keep the pepto pismal handy, for all us overeaters

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Admiral

While there will be a turkey in the oven, I'll be decorating for Christmas, albeit a trimmed down holiday this year.

Think there is only going to be about 15 trees this year
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

We are having Turkey day dinner with Mickey, Donald, Minnie and a cast of other Disney characters at Disney in Orlando,,,my Daughter, SIL,,3 grandson's, and my bro. Should be interesting Certainly different from our normal dinner. I know the grandsons will have a ball. My Mom passed on last spring and we all could not stand the thought of spending it without her,,,so,,,decided to do something "really" different and fun.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Sorry you will be alone on Thanksgiving, Darlene, but I'm sure you will make up for it on your cruise!!!

We're going to my SILs for dinner....this is will be first year without my Mom who passed away earlier this year, so that will be hard, but there is still a lot to be thankful for. We were by her side when she passed, and it was a very peaceful passing (we should all be so lucky!) so we were very fortunate for that! I'll be briniging my festive deviled eggs and some wine...

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving, and remember the spirit of the holiday, not just the eating and the shopping.

Of course, you dont' have to IGNORE that either!!! yum yum

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

We are having my DH's newly found biological mother, brother and his family. Along with a Aunt and Uncle from Canadan. 16 in all. First time this people have been to our home as we just found them. Very long but truely inspiring Thanksgiving story. I would post it but I think most might find it boring.

Tina

(Just under a little pressure for this dinner. Huh?)

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Hopefully Larry will still be home from the hospital then so we will be able to stay home & enjoy each other.........that would be a big thanks for us!!!!

Sharon & Larry
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sharon, Larry, please G-d!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I usually do all the cooking, but this year we are going to some friends house. This will be the first Thanksgiving in 3 years, that both of our husbands are in this country. We have so much to be thankful for.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Since my father is still in the skilled nursing unit at the Peaks in Flagstaff and their apartment has only a kitchenette, not conducive to real cooking, I'll probably make a family favorite casserole here in Mesa and take it up and reheat it in the microwave. I know they'll enjoy it because it's something they can't fix for themeselves any more since they don't have an oven. With my parents both having medical problems, just being able to be togehter for another holiday is enough for all of us. The meal isn't nearly as important as being together. December 2 is the 6th anniversary of my mother's stroke, and we celebrate each year, at Thanksgiving, the bonus time that we have been granted to spend with her.
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Passenger

cruising of course my first cruise laves sunday 11 days and we will be on a ship during thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Thanksgiving? We celebrated that over a month ago, why are you people so slow??

I really do wish we had another Thanksgiving because I LOVE turkey! Now I have to wait till Christmas.....

donna
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Lots of moving stories, which just seems appropriate at Thanksgiving. It is hands down my favorite holiday.

As usual, I cook for whatever family and "thanksgiving orphans" are around. I know my Mom and her twin sister are coming, pretty sure about my stepson and you never know who he'll bring!

I start cooking on Tuesday!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

So many wonderful answers. I sure wish that those that are alone could all come here and eat at the school with us. TBug, as a reunited birth mother I hope your DH's reunion is all that he hoped for. Sharon and Larry, I hope that Larry will be home and well for the holiday. I think a lot about both of you. I remember the fun we had on Glory, especially the chocolate buffett!!!! Whereever any of you are please have a wonderful and safe holiday.

Laura and Patty