Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Default Recommended Reading

On our eastbound Atlantic crossing aboard the Grand Princess, we had a wonderful speaker named John Maxtone-Graham. He has written several books about cruising, ocean liners, and the Titanic.

I have his "The Only Way to Cross", (Barnes and Noble, pub.), and his "Titanic Survivor", (Sheridan House, pub.). I highly recommend both.

The reason for this post, though, is to recommend his book, "Cruise Savvy",(Sheridan House, pub.), a primer for first time cruisers. Newcomers will learn everything they need to know, but were afraid to ask.

Has anyone else heard or read John?

Keith
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

We were on a 30 + cruise with John Maxtone-Graham once in the Pacific awhile back. Interesting stuff he has and an interesting person.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Yeoman

Default Recommended Reading

Thank you for the recommended book. Devils on the Deep Blue Sea by Kristoffer Garin is also a good read. About the inner workings of different cruise lines.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Captain

thank you for the nameof the book on the titanic
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

If I might add to this list, Happy Sailing by Pam Kane is a good one for first time cruisers. I ordered " an emberisment of the mangos" to read on the cruise.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Pam Kane's book is actually entitled "Happy Sails: The Carefree Cruiser's Handbook". It's available at www.alibris.com for $11.46 plus S&H. I still skim through my copy just before every cruise. In fact, I'm perusing it now as we pack for our cruise (in 9 days) on the NCL Jewel.

If you don't have it, I highly recommend that you get it while it's still in print. Terrific reading, well written (by a super lady) with useful information!

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I think it is still available on Amazon.com as well Jack and yes it is a very good book about the high seas and modern pirates. I have my signed copy in a special place. Another great action book that I highly recommend is "The Mucky Ducks" by Hendrick Van Der Zee as told by his friend Harry Drake. It is pretty hard to come by and not published in the USA but you might be able to find it on Amazon.com or some other type place that sells books. It is published by Zeus Publications in Australia. Maybe you can go directly to the publisher for a copy which is www.zeus-publications.com I have my signed copy and it is one of the best books about the high seas in the far east that I have ever read. I know Donna and MaryLou can attest that they also loved it. We are waiting for "someone' to do the sequel! (Hint Hint)
Jim
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Passenger

Day Jim,

I have it on direct authority from the author that ‘The Mucky Ducks’ sequel, to be called ‘Here There Be Dragons a Mucky Ducks Book’ is in the pipeline and will be ready for publication, hopefully, in March (It depends how long it takes the author to recover from Christmas and New Year Celebrations). The best way to get the book is still to go to the website www.themuckyducks.com and click the ‘Order Your Copy’ link. Donna has the provisional chapter headings for the second book.

North America is the last hold out; it’s just about everywhere else. The publisher thinks the humor might be too different but it had the Swedes laughing and that’s hard to do especially after what was said about their country in the book... sorry Sweden.

Have a ripper day

FAB/Harry (whoever I am today)
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

I want my autographed copy mate. <BU>
Jim
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Never fear - it shall be done

FAB
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Hi Harry,

If I order your book from www.themuckyducks.com can I get an autographed copy, too? Or is it just available to Jim ?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Fern,

I have to see the publisher on Monday so I will see how it can be done. Probably you order it and have them send it to me - then I do the signing bit and send it to you. I think that's how I did it last time - I will get back to you via PM on Monday or Tuesday.

FAB/Harry
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Thanks Harry,

I'm looking forward to reading your book, signed or unsigned (and the next one, too) ! I love to read and anything that has to do with the sea I especially LOVE!

If you ever come to Arkansas, let us know! No seas here, but we do have lakes, the Arkansas River, the "Hoga" submarine, and Southern hospitality!

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Passenger

Fern,
I always worry when people say they love books about the sea. TMD is set mainly in ships but I would like to think that it's also about the people.
Plus this was written looking from the side of those who, under certain circumstances, could be classified as 'the bay guys'. I wish it were otherwise but sometimes you have to fave facts.
One strange fact is that although this book was written with men in mind 70+% of emails have been from women.
That has me confused, but there again many things do that.

FAB
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Default Long winded.

Gidday all.

I am personally not a big fan of reading as I think I am slightly lysdeict, ooops sorry dyslectic (sp?) .

I remembered 2 hours or so ago that my father is a writer of sorts as discussed with Luanne in chat.

My father John Edward Brown has written a few books which are fiction based and usually involve the "South Pacific".

Two of the books I know the titles of are "Luck of The Islands" (circa 1963), which is about a family that wins a lottery then moves to New Zealand, which I have not read.
The second (Chatham Islands Spy Ship, circa 1976) is a book written for younger readers (teenage boys mainly), which I have read, which is about a school boy on a summer trip (I think) to the Chatham Islands who finds a Russian submarine hidden in one of the bays on the island and the adventure continues from there.
I have a copy of this soft cover book somewhere signed by my father and me saying "Thanks Dad". LMAO
My farther received a letter from a boy in 1980 saying how much he enjoyed the book. It was quite amazing to read the letter.

I remember listening to one of my fathers "short stories" on the radio in the early 70's which basically involved a Russian probe sent to "MARS" which failed and ended up landing back on earth into a sand trap of the local golf course on NIUE Island (my place of birth) and the probe still thinking it was on Mars.

FAB my father has spent a lot of time on island freighters over the years as a part time/relief radio operator. Is there a possibility that you know him?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Lombard,
I can't say that name rings a bell but we may have tripped over each other along the way. Who knows, a bar in Hong Kong or Suva, Nukualofa, Noumea, Pt Vila, Singapore, Shanghai, Canton (as it was then) Dalien, Manilla, Phuckett, even, perhaps, Auckland.
There were so many nameless people over the years. It was the way with lesser known ships, tramping to survive, that you seldom got to know many people well. Some stayed around for a while but as the years passed the ranks thinned.
Now - well it's all press button driving, real seamen are virtually a thing of the past.
It's surprising how many mariners actually write books - probably because they have more stories to tell than most people. Problem is that, unlike airheads calling themselves film stars with absolutely nothing to say, their books seldom get any promotional support.

FAB
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Harry,

Don't worry about my saying I love books about the sea! I want to read books with some "meat" to them. I have to say, after looking at the website, I'm very interested in reading about you, the "bad guys", your mates, and "Red". I'll be ordering your book soon, so expect a royalty check!

I wouldn't read a book written by a "film star"!

Hi Liam,

Are your Father's books still available?

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Morning fern

did you get my email or PM - computer seems a bit doolallytap today or perhaps it's me that's out of kilter

FAB
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Hi FAB,

Got your mail! I'll be ordering your book tomorrow! Hope I can get it before we cruise.

I think we're both "out of kilter" !

Sometimes life is easier that way,