Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default Tropical Storm Gamma

Can you believe it??? It's forming off the coast of Honduras. The long term track from the National Hurricane Center predicts it may take a path similar to Wilma and head towards the Florida Peninsula. Here we go again.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051118/...opical_weather
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Admiral

UGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Guess I better get going on that emergency kit down here in Florida. I don't think this one is going to have the same strength as Wilma, but I will get ready for it anyway. Looks like gamma is coming for a visit. :-)

Phyll
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Shouldn't be more than a tropical storm but still.... My guess is that it will not get to hurricane strenght but if it does it will barely do so. I also think that it will take a very hard right and travel just offshore Cozumel, miss Cuba and hit the Keys before it goes out into the Atlantic sometime late Monday or Tuesday. I really think it will be south of Naples by a good bit and travel up the Keys and maybe Miami will get some. The jet stream is too strong to allow it to come farther north.
Jim
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I have a co-worker who is scheduled to fly to Jamaica some time in the next week. Just her luck! She thought she was late enough in the season. I told her it was her turn. We had to contend with Wilma during our cruise week of Oct. 23-30, which was really late for us! We usually cruise from mid-September to the first week in October.
Our Assistant Podiatrist at work is a ham operator. The Hams were tracking Wilma, and it was destined to come right across our county again (Highlands) at Lake Placid. Just as it was moving towards land, it "sneezed" (Ham and EOC terminology) and went 30 miles south. Like a hiccup! That's why Wilma went further south and across to Ft.Lauderdale.
As of Wednesday, there were no alerts put up for Gamma, and this morning I saw that it wasn't supposed to be much. Evidently, it still has some potential. Geez!! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM
First Mate

I know I've just about had enough.

I live in South Miami and I still haven't cleaned up all the downed trees in my yard from Wilma. Every large tree in my yard either came down or has broken branches.....but I'm thankful my house is fine.

I have airline tix to fly to Charleston SC on Tuesday to spend Thanksgiving there. And I thought I was safe to plan a trip in late November...oh well.

December 3rd I'm on the Jewel of the Seas on my back-to-back Eastern/Western Caribbean cruise and nothing will stop me from getting on that ship.

Hurricane-worn Cathy from South Miami
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When Omega forms then I know something is really screwed up.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Great, just when I thought we are safe for now. There are no school closings yet....what a mess
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Turkey on the grill anyone?
Angela Z.
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I have lived in FL almost 30 years, and only saw 2 hurricanes in our area, very mild ones at that. Now we seem to be a magnet for them, gimme a break!!!!
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Cruz Crazy,
Cathy, I feel for you. We saw the mess in Ft. Lauderdale when we came back from our cruise Oct. 30. My husband's family lives in Ft. Lauderdale,West side--Davie, Cooper City, etc. If Wilma hadn't gotten a twitch at the last minute, then you might have been spared the last time around. We're supposed to get some wind and rain out of it.

AngelaZ-- grilled turkey actually sounds good for a change!! Trevor picked up my Thanksgiving turkey from work yesterday. We employees get a free one every year donated by some turkey farmer. Sounds like the 2 of us will have a good dinner on Thursday.
That said-may you ALL have a good dinner on Thursday.

Gamma isn't supposed to have much strength and may fizzle out before reaching us. I think I can believe it this time. Sue, we'll keep our fingers crossed that there are no school closings this week. That also comes under the category of "enough is enough". If they close our schools this time-we hope the Employees' kids go to the affiliated church across the street. Our residents have their whole routine thrown off when we have the extra "guests".

Lynne

Ruby Princess