Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Default Do you shop the day after Thanksgiving????

I said we would never go again but...we found out through a friend a certain store has a huge sale on IPODS. Our kids are asking for them<only request can you believe it?> and since they are so expensive we will be going out at 4am<maybe I send my dh >
We are giving them the present not until we are in germany..have to find a good hiding place.
Do you shop the day after Thanksgiving?
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

NO WAY... I do it all on line or gift certificates. to many problems with sizes, likes & dislikes.. I hate to shop for gifts. Maybe for me...
I would like a nice big diamond for Christmas.
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Admiral

I typically do not shop the day after Thanksgiving, but my hubby and daughter have done so for years. It is their little tradition. They always say it isn't bad. It really surprises me because Gary has absolutely no patience, but he doesn't mind shopping the day after Thanksgiving, go figure?
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

No, I've never done the up and out at 4am but have friends that swear by it. They actually make it sound like fun.
Angela Z.
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

The day after Thanksgiving is our day to decorate the house. It takes all day, put on the Xmas music, and warm up left overs. Too tired to go Shopping.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Marylou God Bless Gary, it would take a team of wild horses to get 'da Coot' in the stores the day after Thanksgiving. He gives me one day of shopping where he comes along and sits outside the stores on the 'husband benches' while I shop. He then carries the bundles. Anything more than that I'm on my own.

Carnival Glory
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

No, never!!! Up until I got Patty in my life I had no one to shop for anyway. She has given me many hints as to what she wants for Christmas this year. I will probably pick that item up real soon. She also keeps telling me "I miss that boat" so I guess we all know what she is hinting at!! We will be filling up the cruise money bank and working on another one.

Laura
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Not since I sold my handguns.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

When the kids were small, andthey had special wants which usually were on sale tthat day, now they are all grown up and we send $$$. They know exactly what they want and it saves us from being mobbed.
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Default Do You Shop the Day after Thanksgiving?

I shopped only once the day after Thanksgiving, and I had no problem. This year, we will both be on a plane to Phoenix on Friday.

Judy
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

I usually don't get to ANY sales, including the day after Thanksgiving, because I'm at work. All these flyers arrive in the mail for a Thursday and Friday sale but, I can't get there. In the evening, I'm either too tired, or I have other commitments.
Trevor got a gift when he married me-----I don't like to shop!!! He has to force me to shop for myself if we go to a store. He'll insist on buying me something, even if I don't need it.
I mentioned on the other thread that I purchased some nice little things at the Auxiliary Bazaar at work yesterday. We just received a debit card from our TA as a cruise perk, so that will be handy.
Last year, we just gave the kids a check--even the close ones--and told them to shop for themselves. It's a chore because of sizes, likes, dislikes, etc. as stated before by someone.
Happy Holidays, Everybody!!! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't usually go out on the day after Thanksgiving. I have to only buy a few things this year, so I am going to do them on line, to get it over with. I also am one who does not like to shop. Hubby not only doesn't like it, he hates it. He gets that look in his eye, and he grips the handle on the cart, like he's going to run over someone.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I've done it for years... I stood in line when Nintendo 64 was new... stood in line when Gamecube was new... stood in line when FURBYS were hot... and last year stood in line to get mom some new tvs for her new house at GREAT prices... yeah it was a generic brand... but a 31 inch for $199... its a steal !!! (Now we will have to upgrade once HDTV is the norm)

I wont be doing it this year as we will be somewhere between Vegas & Texas... although when people ask me... I say yeah Im gonna shop in Albuquerque... you shouldve seen dh's face.... it was one of those OVER MY DEAD BODY looks !

Ok, this is my official last post - got to do last minute packing then we're "ON THE ROAD AGAIN... I CANT WAIT TO GET ON THE ROAD AGAIN... la la la....

Happy Turkey Day everyone ! Will miss ya !

Steph
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I will be working at WalMart at 4:00 am the day after Thanksgiving. Like Sue, I am on the hunt for IPODs. My daughter wants one although she wants the Creative Zen brand. I normally get 10% off plus I will receive an additional 10% off one item with my employee coupon. Not sure yet what WalMart is having that day for bargains but I do know that we are having an HP laptop for $378.00 and a flat screen TV for $90.00. The store opens at 5:00 am and employees can shop at 4:00 am. So I guess, yes I'll be shopping the day after Thanksgiving.
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Not a snowball's chance in "you know where"! I don't like to shop anytime, and I sure wouldn't get out in that mess the day after Thanksgiving!

nolou,

There was an article in our paper about a website that has "found" (leaked from either the printer's or someone at the stores) the sale ads for different stores, including WalMart, K-Mart and Sears. Since I have no intention of shopping that day I didn't look at the site, but found the article interesting. Apparently WalMart is saying that the ads are incorrect!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

My sisters, sister-in-laws, and nieces all gather for Thanksgiving at one sister's lake house. They cook all day and plan for Friday's shopping spree. Thanksgiving is spent gathered around the coffee table, maps spread out with red push pins all over marking the stores, yellow push pins mark the alternate stores if the main stores are blocked. Men are not allowed in the room and football is relegated to a back bedroom. Snacks and drinks are brought in and placed strategically around the coffee table. They plan. They plot. They list. They take no prisoners. If the phone rings it is ripped off the wall and thrown in the lake.

Assistants bring them updates on sales. One is on the computer watching the latest in gadgetry, hot items, cool shoes and what-nots. This is not a day for headaches, PMS, or bad hair days.

On Friday, they pick up the rented van at 6:04 a.m. One is designated as the driver, one is designated as the map reader, one is designated as the coordinator, one is designated as the financial advisor, one is designated as the fuel gauge watcher. They are each cross trained in the other areas so if one goes down the mission continues seamlessly.

There are timelines to meet. Must be out of the outlet mall by 10:24 a.m. to get to the next mall by 11:00 a.m. to catch the one-half hour manager's sale before lunch. It will take 13 minutes to find the correct size, red and white, wool sweater for Aunt Mable.

This is war! Every soldier on this team must perform their duties flawlessly for the battalion to succeed. And it will succeed. If a soldier goes down with injury, the battallion just drags the body out of the way and the fight goes on. Injuries will be dealt with later.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Thomas! That is the funniest thing I ever saw. I know you are not kidding either. Too funny! Love your humor!

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Great stuff Thomas. I still have my handguns, however will NEVER shop on the day after Thanksgiving. (or any other day for that matter). The lovely Mrs. Jones does, however, risk life and limb and head to the mall on that day, occasionally.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Captain

I did last year for the first time and it was actually fun for us. Not too many people but I did not go to the big toy store sale. I hear that draws long lines.
Karen
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Captain

When I'm with my family for Thanksgiving, one has to shop the day after, no excuses. I'm going to Iowa to my nephew's and of course, my sister and brother-in-law will be there, too!

She is the queen of shopping and her sons both love to shop! I think my nephew enjoys shopping more than his wife does! It's always a good time, we split up and meet somewhere for lunch then head back for turkey leftovers!

Mmmmm, I can't wait!
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Captain

Thomas.
That sounds like such fun. The gals day out and so well planned. I love it. My sister would fit right in.

Kaaren
Old November 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Fern--not sure what the website said but the items I mentioned are definitely available for Friday. I work in the accounting office in the back of the store and there are laptops, computers and digital cameras everywhere. The TV's are in a trailer in the receiving area. The instore announcements also talk about some of the items available on Friday.
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I do it every year! The kids make up their lists and I go out the day after and finish off the shopping. I usually save all the bigger ticket electronic items for the day as most are on sale. I'm up and out of the house by about 5 am and usually done by 8-9 am. I then have the rest of the day to wrap presents and start putting up the Christmas decorations.
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I try not to. The crowds are not worth the hassle to me.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:11 AM
Admiral

DougR I totally agree. You wont get me out there the WEEK after Thanksgiving without a gun! People are idiots at that time. I have seen fistfights over toys and by ADULTS!

I typically start shopping in about August/September and am done by the first part of November. Then I have don't have to step into the stores until after the holidays. Anything electronic, I buy last so the warranties are good for longer.
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

DougR I totally agree. You wont get me out there the WEEK after Thanksgiving without a gun! People are idiots at that time. I have seen fistfights over toys and by ADULTS!

I typically start shopping in about August/September and am done by the first part of November. Then I have don't have to step into the stores until after the holidays. Anything electronic, I buy last so the warranties are good for longer.
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Admiral

There's NO WAY I would shop on the day after Thanksgiving and fight the crowds and look for a parking space, etc. There are 364 other days in the year to go shopping. 8)
Cindy