Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Default I say let Pete Rose be in the hall of fame

I mean really you far worse off people in the hall of fame.
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I too say let Pete in. After all, from what he has done is a way lot tamer than what some of the others have done since him and they have gotten away with just about everything. "Mr Hustle" was one of my heroes growing up. LET him in.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Admiral

I'd let him in too. I really like Pete (when we lived in Plant City Florida, he lived right down the street) and think his ability to play ball far exceeds anything else he's done. Give him a break!
Ken
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Pete Rose was my hero too. I could sit and watch him all day, and loved it when he was a coach. My problem with it is, I have always told my kids, that if you have rules to go by, and you break those rules, you must pay for your decision. How do I explain to them that it is true, unless you are Pete Rose? I am always glad when a coach stands up for what is right, and gets rid of players that think they are above the law. For every bad player, there are 10 waiting in the wings to play, and can't because there is no room. Does it not bring down those in the Hall of Fame, who did good, and were law abiding? Maybe we could build a special wing for those players. His statue could say, "He loved the sport, and did a heck of a job, but he loved money more."
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

I too like Pete Rose very much. I agree with you on most of your post except "he loved money more". Gambling is an addiction. I know some gamblers who would make a lot more money working their trades than gambling. Gamblers love the thrill gambling gives them.

I feel gambling is akin to alcoholics and drug addicts. Would you ban an alcoholic from the Hall of Fame?

Should he banned from the Hall of Fame? I think not. In my humble opinion, he should have been sent to gambling anonymous to rid himself of this affliction.

What do you tell your kids? Sometimes the rules are not right and rules that are not right should be changed.

Bill
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Bill, I agree that it is an addiction, and people do have to get help, but If I am not mistaken, he had been in treatment, and he bet against his own team. If he is or isn't inducted, will not change the world, but trying to always go by the rules, is getting boring. I just want to go out and run a stop light or something. It is difficult to teach my kids right from wrong. I wish the rest of the world made it easier.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

Was it ever proven he bet against his own team? If so, I owe you an apology.

Bill
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

You owe me nothing but your friendship. And you don't owe me that, I want it. I would have to do my research, but if I remember right, that was the problem, and his reply was that he did not alter the game, because of a bet. Sadly his son is now in the news because of bad judgements. I guess Pete Rose had a hard time explaining right from wrong too. I guess I had better not run that light after all.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Luanne: If you do run that red light, make sure there's no Texas Rangers or whatever police force you have lurking around.

Bill
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Admiral

In our house, Pete Rose was my son's idol. We lived in Dayton, and we went down to see the Reds play in Cincinnati. There is or was, a street named "Pete Rose Way".
I believe he should be in the Hall of Fame because of the statistics not because of his behavior. There are good men who behave badly. I would venture to say that not all Hall of Famers in any sport are 100% righteous. Pete Rose just happened to get caught.

I believe he has "served his time" and should be considered for the Hall of Fame.
Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Absolutely let him in the Hall of Fame. If alcoholics were banned, there would be a few missing players - Mickey Mantle for one. Pete Rose gave such pleasure to so many people - let him in!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If Pete Rose had just limited his gambling to sports other than baseball, I would have NO problem with letting him in the Hall of Fame. However, he bet on his own sport, and to top it off HE BET ON HIS OWN TEAM!!!! That is unforgivable! I don't care what he says......he does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, statistics be darned!

If Barry Bonds breaks Henry Aaron's home run record and then it is found out that he used steroids (a banned performance-enhancing substance) - should Barry get into the hall of fame? How about Sammy Sosa or Mark McGuire? Betting on your own team is illegal. Using steroids is illegal. Same punishment should be doled out for both actions. Personally, I wish Pete Rose had never did what he did with his gambling.....he dug his own grave, he must live with the results of that. Last I heard, being an alcoholic or a jerk is not illegal. JMHO.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Admiral

WOW Lisa. I won't mark you down as un-decided on how you stand.

I did a bit of research and when Pete Rose bet on his team, he was a manager. By betting on his own team it would be an added impetus to win. Where is the harm? As the famous football coach, Vince Lombardi, once said something to the effect "winning is not only important, it's the only thing".

In my very humble opinion, what he did a player shouldn't have any bearing as to what he did as a manager. If they have a rule against betting, enforce it for what he is and not for what he was.

Some rules and laws need to be changed. In the old days, they hung horse thieves, they burn witches, at the turn of the century the speed limit was like 10 mph.

Bill
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Admiral

My wheels are turning and I'm thinking--if he bet on (or against, no one really knows the truth) his team as a manager, and is/was addicted to gambling, why couldn't he have bet on/against his team when he was a player? Just curious if someone knows the answer. The answer could change minds of people who are for him. If it comes out that he bet on/against his team as a player or that he bet against his team as a manager, then definitely NO he should not be allowed in. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me. JMHO
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with Lisa on this.......these people are supposed to be role models for today's youth......doing something that you KNOW is illegal goes against the good image....period.

This is what is wrong with today's society.....all of this 'forgiveness' for bad actions/stupid decisions. There is no accountability for ones actions these days.

Pete Rose should have thought about putting his H of F status in jeopardy when HE made a STUPID decision......no whine about it now.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Here is my arguement, the ones that use steroids will be able to get into the hall of fame. So what you will tell others is you can cheat and still get into the hall of fame just don't gamble.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

In my opinion, the ones who use steroids should not be allowed in the hall of fame. I think the difference will come down to 100% absolute proof. As far as I know and I could be wrong, only a handful have been actually been proven to have used steroids. I feel that any records they have or will have, should be eliminated from the record books. I can't sing the praises for a job well done, a homerun record, etc. from someone who needs to cheat to win.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
Admiral

If he is allowed to be in the Hall of Fame, then the door is wide open to anybody. It use to be that players were above wrong doing. It is probably true that some just kept it very quiet, but players were some one to look up to. It is a sign of the times, that we accept behaviors that once was so wrong. When it all comes down to it, he will probably be accepted, but that means someone, who lead a good life, and did what he was suppose to do, won't get in.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

whqt is the player's union stance on this issue ?