Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cuba, yay, nay?

Many years ago now, I subscribed to a magazine called South Florida. One issue was totally devoted to Cuba, and the impact to SoFla. It was amazing to learn just how many were prepared, in so very many different ways, to pounce when Castro, departed Cuba, one way or the other.

One statement I remember,was that Carnival was ready to sail in first, leaving others in it's wake. Now, so many years later,almost every ship is a Carnival brand

In todays paper,there is an article from an investment banker, stating just how many companies he has invested it, in preperation of Castro's demise,who according to reports last week,they suggest he has Parkinsons disease. Two companies he has invested in are Carnival & Royal Caribbean, who, he states," are in the best position."

I have always loved the idea of visiting Cuba, without going through a country that allows it. The flight from Boston, would be 4 hours, and it mentions that business class will be filled, with prospective investors, chomping at the bit, ready for the gold rush to come.

Cruising in, at first would be the most viable I think, due to lack of infrastructure, and using the ship as a hotel makes sense.

So.......would you like to go too? If you could, would you invest in post Cuba? It sure sounds like billions will be made for those willing to to invest in this dynamic country.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

Good Question. Asked the hubby, and got a Man answer, so I'll just state, right now, it would be interesting, but Leary on how the Cubans may hold grudges with the Americans.

What I would like though, is to get my hands on some of the Bel Aires that are all over there and bring one home to restore!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Default Cuba, Yay or Nay

I don't know about investing, but I' surely like to visit. I think a cruise ship would make the most sense at this point. I would wait, though, until those investors get to work and develope things to see, do, eat, and stay in.

Judy
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We recently watched a show on Cuba, in high def.....The BEST part of the show, was seeing the old cars. Boy, it brought back memories..And just how they care for them was amazing too..but the high def, really brought them out to the very best advantage!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Why not? I have a friend in Toronto who vacations in Cuba every year despite my best efforts to sell him on a cruise!!! He just loves it there.

Laura
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

I'd love to go and plan to as soon as the restrictions are lifted. I have a friend who went and said that the Cuban people were some of the friendliest he has ever met.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

I would love to go to Cuba... I wish we did not have to wait until Castro is gone. Our almost 50 year Cuban policy has been an utter failure. It has caused misery for the Cuban people, deprived our businesses of a market for our goods and services and has not caused Castro to depart.
Look forward to cruising there one day.

Regards,
Ben
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately we still have his brother standing right there to take control when he croaks so we will have to see what happens. Cuba has some great attractions and I would love to see some of the history there before it is allowed to decay completely. Carnival has had ships there that they had quite a bit of ownership in. Remember AirTours? They had a few ships that called there all the time. CCL has at least one person in shore excursions that knows all the great tours and tour operators and can get it up and running very quickly. I hope that they do lift this silly embargo that has not worked and open up a number of new ports in the Caribbean.
Jim
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

yep, would love to go if we could bring back some cigars
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would go. I have friends that have been and love it.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Admiral

I was stationed at GitMo for a time, and would really enjoy going back. As stated, I think most of the people in Cuba are great, and even as long ago as I was there, I remember thinking that I'd love to get my hands on some of the cars that are still running around there.
Would I go back? You bet!
Ken
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would like to go too. I can't believe that Castro is still in power. It is funny that this question should be asked on the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. I also read that his brother is ready to take over.
Cuba, at one times was the playground of the rich, and I am sure it could be again.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Admiral

As a Canadian, we have no restrictions visitng Cuba. I've been there twice, in 1986 for a week and in 1997 for two weeks.

The people are as friendly as you'll find anywheres. I don't think the common people would hold any grudges against Americans or anybody from a democratic nation. The common people don't like their situation and would rather be free.

Visitng towns and villages is like going into a twilight zone with cars from the 50's still running. The houses and buildings were all built before the revolution and no visible repairs have been made. After visiting a few towns, we didn't enjoy visiting anymore. It was depressing seeing these wonderful people living in such dilapidated homes. Building materials was just not available to them.

The tourist resorts are, for the most part, very new and modern. The beaches are just awesome. As a tourist, we felt very safe. As a cuban, that I got friendly with, said if a native did any harm to a tourist and was caught, he would be severly punished.

Would I go back? Yes, in a New York minute. Would my wife want to go back? No way!!! We're not about to go back anytime soon.

As Jim Bragg mentioned Fidele Castro's "brother is standing right there to his place". I honestly think Cubans fear Raoul more than Fidele. So, don't hold your breath waiting for a big change when Fidele meets his just reward.

Bill
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

Absolutely My father was career Navy and we were stationed at Gitmo for over three years. One of the most beautiful places I have every been and the best bananas in the world! Granted, we were not allowed out of the confines of the base but the beaches on the base were superb and unparalleled to any I have seen. All the movie theaters were outdoor type and you brought lawn chairs and sat by the ocean watching the movie with the balmy breezes blowing, pure heaven Once the restrictions are lifted, if ever, I'm on my way!

Linda
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Yay! I've been to Cuba and plan on going back.In October 2003 15 0f us,including our daughter and her fiance and his family, flew to Veradero for their wedding (3 1/2 hrs from Toronto). We stayed at a Sadals resort called Beaches Veradero,an all inclusive resort right on the beach. We took a trip to Havana and bought lots of cigars and excellent rum. They have modern European cars and of course those wonderful 1950's American cars. Sorry,didn't mean to turn this into a Cuba travelogue but if you ever get the chance,go for it.
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I'd go in a heartbeat. I'll be first in line.
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Captain

can some one tell my what can you see in cuba and what does cuba look like does it have a rain forest
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Paddletoe:

It's been about 8 years since I was last there. I don't think they had rain forests like you would have in Jamaica. The big attraction I found was the beautiful resorts & fabulous beaches. The resorts are, for the most part, owned by foreigners such as Spaniards and Canadians.

The villages, town and cities are quite dilapidited for the lack of building materials which is not available to the people. Outside of the resorts, we didn't find any tourist attractions to speak off.

You will find a very safe place to be in and an incredible friendly populous.

I enjoyed both visits there.

Bill