Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default The legendary George Best

Hi thfrem,

I am not sure if you have ehard of him voer there - I would ahve thought so. He is the most famous English Footballer and is a footbhall legend over here.

He is dying and it so sad, even if he ahs brought alot of it on himslf with excessive heavy drinking over the eyars.

Back in the 60/70's he was top of the heap and like stars nowadays didn;t earn the 'big bucks' in those days - however gthe stardom went straight to his head and he has basically spent most of his life drinking, womanising and fighting.

He had a liver transplant 2 years ago but is now fighting for his life and the Doctors beleive he has less than 24 hours left.

So sad and in his heyday, he had to have been one of the most handsome men alive.

I wish him well and for those of you who know who I am referring to, I hope you can wish him well on his journey too.

Thankyou

KG
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

I can remember George Best when he led Manchester United to the European title back in the late 60s. He was really something! I read earlier this week that he was on life support and needed a liver transplant. That lifetime of heavy drinking finally caught up with poor George. He will certainly be missed by the British football community. I'm sorry that such a great star has to come to the end his life this way, Maureen.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

It really is a loss, he's a contemporary Pele, I heard on the BBC this morning that he started drinking again after the transplant, and elsewhere that it was rejection drug complications.

Regardless, he will be missed, I vaguely remember him playing when I was very young (I started playing when I was 6) and later seeing his old matches. He brought his own style to the game.

banker
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:45 PM
First Mate

God bless number 7. That was his Manchester United number all those years ago. What a total waste of talent, good looks and genuine Northern Ireland charm.

I am praying hard for him at this time.

Jenn
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:45 AM
First Mate

yes it is a big shame and loss and I hope people will remember him for being the greatest star that he was in his time - certainly the best British Footballer ever, so far superior to our current Football Superstar David Beckham!!!!

He has been an idiot, no doubt about that but I think in his heyday, with the looks and the fame, he just couldn't handle it all and just wanted to party, party, party.

After his liver transplat he seemed to rally round but then went through marital problems with his second wife Alex, who subsequently divorced him, and I think he has just completely given up on life. Some people over here have been very hard on him but I do beleive that alcoholism is actually a disease and an ilness rather than just a weakness.

I will always remember him as the gorgeous hunk that he was and the twinkle in his eye and not the drunken slob he became.

God bless you George and I hope you finally find the peace in your soul that you have been searching for for so long.

Kimmiegirl.
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM
First Mate

Update: Sadly he passed away at 12.55 GMT.

God bless you George and for all the magic you gave to so many.

RIP

Maureen