Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Survey> How did you discover CruiseMates?

I'll post the fluff topic for the day.

So did a friend put you up to it or on to it? Google search?
Got dissed on another BB?
Dumb luck?

Lurkers> How long have you been lurking?

As for me.... I came here because of a serious dissing at another cruise Bulletin Board.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had just booked my cruise in mid-Oct and all I knew about the ship was from Holland America's glowing brochure. I decided to do a google search for unbiased reviews of the ship and that is how I ended up here.

I didn't lurk for long and posted the next day in the first time cruisers forum.

I know of one other site similar to cruisemates but its clique-y and not as user-friendly. I do feel a little like a green bean compared to all of you, but I'm sure you've all been there too.

-Steve
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Captain

was doing some google search when i was doing some research for our last cruise i meet some nice poeple and i stayed
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Admiral

I found CruiseMates shortly after I first got a computer (welcome to the 20th century!)
I was researching an upcoming cruise, looking for reviews, and found this site interesting. In addition to answer my cruising questions, CruiseMates also helped me learn my way around a computer, with special thanks to Mike M. and Michelle P. who did everything for me in the early days. Some days, even now, Mike still has to help me out!

donna
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Saw it mentioned on another cruise board when it was in it's infancy.
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I got on the bandwagon before we opened. This site is different, thankfully, and happily we keep growing !

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Admiral

I read about it and other cruise sites from a magazine article. After checking out the others, this one seemed the most "friendly".

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Found Cruisemates when I did a search on information about cruising. Lurked for abit, enjoyed what I read and decided to join. Glad I did!
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Ditto seattleguy37.

Bill
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Internet search.
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Passenger

I discover Cruisemates by accident through google search while searching for photos of cruise ships. I fell on the Cruisemates photo gallery however I discovered the cruisemates chat section much later.

The time difference is huge like when most cruisemates especially those from the US are greeting good morning for me its good evening.

This is a superb site and I thank you all responsible at Cruisemates.com for giving us the chance to interact with other cruise and cruise ships lovers from around the world.

Julien
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I booked a cruise last May. I got home and realized I didn't have a clue as to what to expect. I came home and found this site. I read from about 4:30 in the afternoon until way into the night. I was scared to post because I had never been in a site like this. I posted one small question, and went to get something to drink, came back in a few minutes, and 7 people had posted. I was shocked. I learned so much in the week and a half I had before my cruise. We sat at a table of 10 on the Ecstasy, and I was able to answer their questions, and they were all seasoned cruisers. One lady said that I sure did have a lot of friends who were experienced cruisers and I realize then, that yes I do, and glad of it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I came over from another board when things got wierd there.....this has felt like home ever since.
Angela Z.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Admiral

I was doing research for an upcoming cruise and stumbled on cruisemates,,,it was mentioned at another BB so I thought I would check it out. Wow was I suprised,,,,I asked one little question and received several responses,,,,very impressed,,,everyone was soooo friendly so here I am still hanging around. <bg>

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was looking for reviews on Carnival Spirit. I did a google search and found CruiseMates.....................Lucky Me!! Good advice, good people, good times and good friends all right here. Thanks for being here.

Laura
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Our TA gave me the addy for Cruisemates.........lucky us huh??? Is that a good TA or what?!?!?!?!?! She said to just check it out & see what we thought. We've been here ever since.......

Sharon
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Admiral

It had to be through a Yahoo Search because that is all I use. It was just after we booked our first cruise. Found it, liked it, no, LOVED it, so I stayed. Never have used another board. And, being the bashful, shy type of person I am. I lurked for about 3 minutes before I made my first post. THERE I said it. I admit it. Thanks CC for bringing it out of me. I am so ashamed that I lurked for 3 minutes without posting. It has bothered me now for ever. Thanks again. I think I am cured now.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I was "invited" to CruiseMates when all it was was a domain name

It's been SO MUCH fun being involved from the beginning, offering ideas, and watching it grow and evolve. And even more fun watching all you great folks find us, talk to them, and meet so many of you in person.

Your posts and antics are generally where I get my "inspiration" for topics for my articles. And all the positive feedback I get from those of you reading them is awesome! And keeps me striving to make them better, more interesting, and more fun!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I always read the Travel section in the Sunday newspaper, a couple years ago there was an article about a few cruise boards, been here ever since.
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I followed Kuki over from the other site. Glad I did.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I was doing research for my first cruise and came across this site right after the doors were opened. I asked all the newbie questions and received all the answers in a concise and friendly manner. I then became addicted to cruising and the site.

I then hung around so much that they put me to work and won't let me leave. Not that I'd ever want to.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Captain

I was doing a search to find where John Heald(Carnival Cruise Director) was sailing. My search brought up this message board. I started reading and here I still am. Got hooked. Jim Bragg was really freindly and someone else originally, I forgot who. One of the guy moderators. I was really surprised at how thoughtful they were to respond.
Never read any other board.

Jim Clued me in to the group cruises and now I stick around to get to know everyone and wait for the right one to come along for my schedule.
Karen
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi:

After my first cruise in 1989, I knew I was addicted to cruising....much to my husbands' dismay, as he enjoys it, but doesn't love it like I do.

When I got a computer, I started researching everything about cruises and that's how I found this site. I've been posting here for four years, even though my profile says just this year. I didn't get all the posts transferred over when the change was made.

I looked at other sites and they didn't seem very friendly, so I just stayed here.

Happy cruising...Buddy
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I think I found this web address from the Cruising for Dummies book I got out from the library. I joined up a day or two before I booked our cruise.
I wish I would have found it before I booked that cruise, but feel I did not do too bad for a newbie cruise booker!
People are more friendly here than the other site. I have also learned a lot of good cruise info here!
Brenda in Vancouver
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I was looking for Pamela Anderson's tape with Tommie Lee and I stumbled on to Cruise Mates (VBG)

Actually, this website was listed in the travel section of our Sunday paper as being the best to gather information on cruises so I checked it out and actually like this forum

vb
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Wow, what a great question and the results have really been fascinating! As another person who has been here basically from the beginning I have had the chance to watch this website grow from a simple dream to one that it known Internationally as one of, if not the best cruise website in the world and I am so proud to be part of it as is everyone one posts here. It is truly a family that is growing in leaps and bounds and ever-changing to accomodate new people and technology. Like a family we even have spats but the folks that come here are the best folks around and great to know and be such a vital and important part of the website.
Jim
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Jim,Kuki et al:

Imagine what this place would be like if CM HAD actually acquired the rights to "that other site".

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Passenger

I found Cruisemates through a google search. I had already booked our first cruise (Dec 4, 05) and decided I'd better do a little research. I lurked for quite awhile; I'd never posted ANYWHERE and was kind of nervous. Other sites I'd lurked at (I'm out of the closet now so I can admit I was a prior lurker) I saw some um... harsh... responses to people who posted so I was kind of chicken to write anything. But after reading here, I liked the atmosphere and decided to take the plunge.

Glad I did because I've learned alot of info about cruising and even though I'm a newbie I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts.

Angela
Old November 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

We took a cruise up to Canada and went on a moose watching excursion. Don't you know we were peering off into the woods and what did we see?
A moose, dressed in a nun's habit , wearing a Calgary stampede t shirt. Oh no wait, that was the bad dream I had last night.
In fact like many I was doing a little cruise research and came across the sight on google. Lurked for a while and then found it a fun and informative place to hang out.
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Sounds silly, but just fell into it. Had no idea there was anything out there like this site. Starting thinking about a cruise, never had before, so must of poked around and found it. Glad I found this site before the others, or I probably wouldn't have cruised. I remember thinking that if people on a cruise are half as nice as this site and what they tell me, I'm in!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**