Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
Admiral

Default Need help in finding a Christmas gift.

We are in the process of downsizing now for our RV'ing life in a year. So we have stopped giving each other "things". But I am having a hard time coming up with something to give Mrs. Thomas for Christmas.

She has a fistful of gift certificates for spa treatments, dinners, etc. but she rarely has time to use those. Jewelry is out, since we won't be going to many venues where jewelry will be needed. It's really hard to come up with something when it's the "something" we're trying to get rid of.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Thomas,

By RV'ing life do you mean retiring?

If so, would a good book/magazine subscription be good? We ahve some speciality shops over here called 'COOK' who make the most wonderful gourmet meals (ideal for dinner parties etc). I know alot of 'retired' people here love to get their gift vouchers so that they can treat themselves to some extra speciality meals like Pork Dijon etc that tastes exquisite but does not need the hassle of making yourself. the go down a WOW here in the South East of England.

Another good pressie here is memberhsip to something like the National Trust which allows people to use their land to go on wonderful walks, attend musical picnic events etc (can be opera, classical etc ). I am sure you must have something similar over there where it is protected buildings and beautiful countryside where you can ramble and while away lazy summer days.

Hope this helps because as you say, maybe an outside interest would be good or a fine dining experience in house as we all have to eat!!!

Kind regards,
KG
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Duh, Thomas........A CRUISE!!! It's the perfect give.....you don't have to find some place to put it, or clean it and you get lasting memories from it.......it's a gift that just keeps on giving.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Captain

Hi Thomas,
Does she like to spend an afternoon with you? I take my Mom to see one of the historical sites in the area and then go to eat. It is nice to see a mansion decorated in the period. Very festive.
If she has one of those dinner gift certificates then get her to use that when you take her out. Sometimes the greatest gift one can give is their time.

Karen
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Write her a poem with feelings from your heart, make a photo collage of special events from your years together. Give her a "homemade" gift certificate which states you will be her SLAVE FOR A DAY. To me , if my husband gave me a gift from his heart, that would be the best gift ever.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Tickets to something special.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

To add to my post above---although Mrs. Thomas is fine the thought is the same.

The Christmas my FIL was sick, we couldn't decide what to get him. I started to write him a letter telling him what he met to me. At first I didn't know what to write, but once I started the words poured from my pen. It ended up being three pages. When he opened it and read it, he cried and stated that it was the greatest gift anyone had ever given him.

Write her a letter from your heart, telling her what she means to you.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I agree with Mgram - A cruise or some type of trip. A weekend away in an upscale hotel/spa, a weekend river cruise, or just somewhere you both like to go.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I love the replies above - it would mean a lot for hubby to give me a "slave for the day" coupon and make sure he puts a red ribbon on his head too!!

For my birthday it is now a tradition that the day is mine to do whatever I want even if it is something he don't like he will be "happy" and not complain and go with me - like to the movies or the museum or the zoo.

Another thing is (we love to RV and have one on property that we live in 2 nights a week now) to take her to the "container store" if they have one near you or check the net and go through all the stuff they have for organizing small spaces - lots of great ideas for RVing. Are you on the "trailerlife" message board?

The one thing that came to mind was things to eat because they are great gifts but they don't last long.. Like rum cake, coffee, tea, wine, jelly, or salsas etc.... Debbie
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

My in-laws are in the same boat. they have everything. What they do is go to a store, a dollar store or some such, and have a set price, usually $20. They go in together and the fun is trying to shop without seeing what the other is getting. They buy small little things, for the fun of it. I think one year my mother-in-law got a tin of ham. They laugh about it, and it means the world to them. It isn't so much what they get, but the fun of opening it Christmas morning and laughing with love.

One such present, was a simple glass vase with a note written that once a week, he would put fresh flowers in the vase, and he did. This meant the world to her.

I am in the same boat. my better half has everything. So, what I have started, for 8 years now, is I buy him an ornament for the tree. Not just any ornament mind you, but a red-headed Angel. This tends to get very hard and there just isn't many out there, and no matter what, it touches him. He collects angels, so I also buy him a figurine as well. I hunt high and low for these two items, and he knows it, so it means more to him then anything else.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Admiral

My wife has a fetish for toy teddy bears. Not the ones from Wal-Mart but, from an up-scale boutique.

For the last 10 years, I get her one and it's allways well appreciated.

Bill
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Need Help Fining a Christmas Gift

I agree that a cruise would be a perfect gift (unless she's not a cruise fan?). Also, you said that she had a lot of coupons and certificates for dinners and spas, etc., but that she doesn't use them. I suggest you see that she does take the time to use them. Spa treatments are wonderfully relaxing and sol would be a weekend away.

Judy
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Thank you all for the ideas. As I mentioned before though, "things" are out of the question. In a year from now we'll be moving into a 360 sq. ft. Recreational Vehicle and space is restricted and limited to "must have" items.

However, anything which can be used up before then is a viable choice.

I'm really liking the idea of a cruise, but then I think to make it "for her" I would have to buy her and her sister a cruise while I stay at home with the puppies.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Thomas, since I assume you'll be doing a bit of travelling, why not pick a few cities you know SHE would love to visit and buy some tickets to local museums, aquariums, etc.

How about a ticket to the new World's Largest Georgia Aquarium here in Atlanta? Stn Mtn Park is a wonderful place to plant your RV by the lake, see the sites in Atlanta, and, of course, HAVE DINNER WITH ME!!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

How about getting a couple or three banks, to add the $$$ for each celebration, your could personalize them, (example: cruise fund, new clothes, her favorite vacation) this way she can get whatever she wants or needs, and it won't take up much space.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Admiral

You might consider making a donation to your church in your wife's honor and ask that the church contact their counterpart in New Olreans to have them adapt a family for AFTER Christmas support.

The reason why I say after Christmas is that it will be a hot buzz button thing to do during by the rest of America during Christmas, but families will need support after the holidays
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Familiar Face

Hi,

My parents are full time RV'rs and shortly after they made that transition, a cell phone with all over long distance became important.

So, unless she already has a new cell phone........you could probably get her a new one and make sure the coverage you get will allow for use all over the US and/or Canada and/or Mexico (depending on where your travels take you).

You could also purchase the cell phone charger and extra battery. You may be able to get the phone in her favorite color as well.

Happy Holidays!
Michelle
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Thomas - I like your idea. My Christmas present this year is a cruise with my mother and sister!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Lottery tickets - they don't add to that spreading waistline, they are perfectly legal and they could make retirement come years earlier! Hey someone has to win

ttfn Jennifer
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Thomas,

Just some thoughts, I don't know if Mrs. Thomas would like these things.

Does she plan on writing letters and sending cards to family and friends? A gift certificate to Hallmark stores (they're everywhere!) and some interesting stamps.

I'm guessing you already have a laptop computer. How about a new one or an upgrade, if she uses it?

A personalized spare wheel cover if you don't already have one.

A coupon from you saying that YOU will empty the black water tank for a year! (I would have loved this when we had a RV!)

A gift certificate from a RV store.

Let us know if you're coming through Arkansas

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013