Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Default A Good Clashing of Communications (Grandparent Pride)

My son is in the Air Force and is stationed in California finishing his masters and learning how to become a test pilot. He and his wife also blessed us with a grandson that will be 2 on 12/12. I will be visiting them next week to celebrate his birthday, Christmas and my son's birthday (12/28).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would become a grandparent and after my heart attack two years ago, really thankful that God allowed me to live to see my son turn out so well and to see my grandson. Last month I wrote my grandson his first letter and asked him what he wanted for his birthday, Christmas etc. (I should note at this point that both sets of grandparents are divorced, only have one child each and this was all four of ours first grandchild, so you can guess that the first Christmas/birthday our grandson got almost too much stuff). I reflected on how my grandfather who lived far away when I was growing up use to write me letters.

Well my son has made it his mission in life to bring me and his mother into the 21st century in terms of communications. He prefers e-mail to "snail mail". He purchased his mom and I our first home computer 2 years ago not because we needed one, but because it was easier to send stuff and pictures.

So I am waiting and waiting for the mailman everyday to get my first letter from my grandson. Well today the UPS man came with a package from my grandson. Enclosed was a DVD that my son had made (that he sent to all the grandparents) with a "letter" (actually a scribble drawing, grandparents understand the significance of that) showing highlights of the our grandson's progress (including his first steps) and a request from the parents to have the grandparents equally contribute to a major item and also "limited us to a small gift under $25) and a deposit slip for an educational fund that our children has set up for him. Pretty smart heh !!!
The end of the DVD we were treated to a "song" from our grandson. And because my son is just like his Dad..the DVD was put to 60's Motown song by Steve Wonder"Nothing's To Good For My Baby" (got to love my son) (VBG)

Technology is wonderful. I am on my way to the framers to have Marcus's letter framed. My ex and I have decided that we will take him on a Disney Cruise for his 4th birthday and have invited the other set of grandparents to come with us. That should be really interesting (VBG)

So I guess this is a good segway for other grandparents to share their holiday stories about their grandchildren and how blessed we really are. For those of you that live close to your children and grandchildren you are doubly blessed
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeoman

wow. That brings tears to my eyes. You are very blessed in deed. I wish I was a real grandparent to share with you my stories, so instead I will share with you what my Step-father did for his grand kids.

When he was visiting them this year, he video taped the kids answering questions about mundane things. He then set the tape to fast forward and took out the talking, and inserted a song to be played as the kids were talking. I can't remember the song, I'll have to ask, but it was hilarious. the kids mouths moved right along with it, and the movements of the kids (5,7,10) were as if they were dancing.

Step-dad then set it all to a disc and mailed one each to the kids so they could have it. They loved it.

So a bit of a twist, but basically a grandfathers pride.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Admiral

What a great story......your Son really went to a lot of trouble to keep all of you in the loop. Great communication skills.

May you have MANY MANY more years of sharing in the blessings of this wonderful family unit.

I already told one story about my grandson today...in the good morning thread, so I won't overdue it.

Thanks for sharing your UPS surprise!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As I sit here reading this as my granddaughter eats her lunch, I feel very lucky, that I get to participate in her life. I also know I will be a part of my grandson's.

Venice your son is a very good one and I know you will also enjoy your grandson and every moment of his life.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Your son is very wise. He must have been raised by terrific parents.