Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Default Court TV's Travel Safe Show (Wild Statistic)

I watched a show on Court TV about travel safety tips, and they gave a very alarming statistic:

They said about 90% of those who cruise do not have health/medical/interruption coverage that would cover the cost of a helicopter evacuation at sea. They said the source of this data was the cruise lines themselves. What seems to be implied, but not said, is that Americans feel secure travelling on their corporate health benefits, not knowing that such an eventuality is not covered.

Not my problem, but a lot of folks have to pocket out, it appears.

Comments?

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Obviously the cruise lines have no idea that their customers do have insurance.
Either that or they are scare mongering!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The cruise lines wouldn't know if the passenger was carrying insurance unless they purchased the insurance through the cruise line, however I do believe that the majority of cruisers do not purchase it.

Even though we advocate that everyone purchase it and I believe you are taking an unreasonable gamble if you don't many people who want to assume the risk, aren't aware of it or have other insurance and choose not purchase the insurance.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We always purchase insurance. You wouldn't think of driving your car with out it.
Your health and saftey are very inportant so why not insure your self too?
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Admiral

Trekker you would be suprised how many people think of driving without insurance.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Admiral

think..no, they do drive without insurance and count on the odds of never getting stopped or be in an acident..Louisiana has one of the highest rates of car insurance because of unisured or under insured motorist

Of cousr Louisiana also has drive thru bars
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Yeoman

The one thing i have learned in life, especially from my 21 year old sister, is dinna drive without insurance! That kid has gone through 2 cars before she was 18!

My son and I will also have insurance for the cruise, and our health will cover emergency evacuation if need be.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Never cruise without it anymore. In our younger days, we did....foolishly so!

I agree that the statistics have to be flawed and represent only what the cruiselines themselves sell. They have no way of knowing if passengers purchase 3rd party insurance......which is the wisest way to go.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Admiral

On our first cruise I was dumb about the insurance. Well they say lack of knowledge is no excuse. I did not know about it untill I read it here when we got back. It scared me into doing the Diddy wa diddy. YOU BET it was one of the first things I ckd into on our second cruise and will be purchasing it from now on.

IT IS A NO BRAINER.....Like Nike...JUST DO IT
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Admiral

As Mike said, there is no way the cruise line knows unless they purchase it through them. I would guess that, and it is only a guess BTW, that maybe 35% have insurance. Very few first timers have insurance simply because they fully believe that their insurance covers them, which it does not. Other simply don't think of it or think the price is high enough and they are healthy enough to take a chance. We here at CM highly recommend that you do get insurance and we can cite examples of how and why you should. Some of them personal experiances that had they not had the proper insurance they would have paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars out of pocket. I dearly hate insurance companies and think it is a rip off but unfortunately they are a necessary evil.
Jim
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yeoman

Default Cruise insurance

We have witnessed three evacuations on different cruises. One was a turn back to San Juan. They took someone by tender and we watched as the ambulance took her/him away. The other two were evacuated by the U.S. Coast Guard helicopters. That was an awesome sight as they circled three times scoping out all the guide wires, then lowering the basket for a nurse and then the patient. I really never looked at documents to see if we were insured in case of evacuation.
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Mike M said
Quote:
The cruise lines wouldn't know if the passenger was carrying insurance unless they purchased the insurance through the cruise line, however I do believe that the majority of cruisers do not purchase it.
I am sure the cruise lines are aware of, among those who are evacuated, who can actually afford it, and who tries to put it on their Sail & Sign Card. I don't think the Navy bills the ill persons directly.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Another great travel tip is this:

80% of all hotel burglaries happen within 45 minutes of checking into the room. Why? Because most travelers, weary from flying or driving, head to the shower, leaving their passports, cash, purses, jewelry, thrown on the bed nearest to the door.

Robbers simply hear the shower running and have free access to your room. So, if you shower immediately, take your valuables into the bathroom with you.

And - get insurance!