Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Default Pricing on cruises

Hi, All. I'm new to the "cruise research". We're toying with a transatlantic crossing to make our move from England back to America. It looks like the QM2 is the only way to go (are there other ships making this crossing? Would I want to be on them?)

Our family is large, 5 kids ranging from 11 yrs-18mos. I received the following information in response to a query from one of the cruisemates.com links:

Firstly as you are probably aware there aren't any cabins that will take 7 of you. The best option would be two interconnecting cabins. The starting grade with these types of cabin is a D5 grade, inside cabin.
This would then mean booking 4 in one cabin and 3 in the other, Cunard however do calculate this as two bookings rather than one, this means that the first two in each cabin will be charged as adults then any children sharing with them will pay the child rate, the 18 month year old is free.
Working on the 29th May cruise as an example you would pay £935 for 4 people, £719 for 2 children and 7th is free.

Are these numbers per person? The way it is written looks like we would only pay a total of 1654 GBP (around $3000). Even after the exchange rate, it's incredibly cheap. Of course, if it's per person, then it's closer to $10,000, which seems more likely.

In the D5 grade, would we be required to spend some of the trip in the bottom, rowing the ship? Or in the kitchen, peeling potatoes and washing dishes? If we're going to take this trip of a lifetime, I want to enjoy it. We could probably afford to pay for a better grade if it was worth it. Is it worth it?

I should add that several of us are prone to motion sickness...would D5 put us toward the dreaded front of the ship? Or does the grading have more to do with the ship's innards?

Aaahh...there is so much to learn. Am I better to ask a ton of questions in one post or pester you all with them in twosies and threesies? (I realize you all like to talk about cruising, but I don't want to wear out my welcome!

Thanks for your consideration!
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, I'm sure its per person. Every cruise we've booked has always been that way, then figure in the tips for 7 people, does get expensive.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Admiral

You will never wear out your welcome. Ask as many questions as you want. As I'll just stand back and watch them all answer.

Welcome fellow newbie!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Pricing on Cruises

Man cruiselines do crossings. We've done one on Princess (Grand Princess
) and one on the QE2. You should also check with Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival, as well. You might get better prices. Happy sailing

Judy
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

i would contact a local travel agent in your area, find one who specializes in cruises. Most major cruise lines do TransAtlantic crossings, you aren't limited to Cunard. Princess has family staterooms on their Grand Class ships that can accomodate 7.
Did you post your request on this boards "Cruise Shopping" forum? You usually get 2-3 quotes from reputable travel agencies.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Captain

For a cruise like that I would be inside and near sea level. Your thinking of the QE2? I think they have separate dining areas according to ship level. That might make a difference for you.
A guy I work with went on the QE2 and had an interesting tale about windows getting broken out. That makes me think perhaps the chance for rough seas. I would definately stick to the sea level, mid-ship inside. Can't wait to hear of your planning. Sounds very interesting.

Karen
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sandy:

Looking at the deck plans, none of the inside cabins are at the extreme front of the ship and most are toward the stern or more amidships so that isn't a big problem for motion. It is actually a positive. Low and amidships is the most stable. The QM2 is currently the largest ship afloat and is extremely stable and waters in the North Atlantic are "usually" quite calm in late May and early June.

In regard to your dining room you will dine in the same restaurant, The Britannia, as the vast majority of passengers. Only the Princess and Queens class (mini and full suite) passengers eat in different restaurants. The QM2 has balconies all the way down to deck 4 and is so large that I don't think window breakage will be an issue.

The prices that you are looking at are per person. Make sure that you are not being quoted return flight air in that price. You probably aren't but many times that is included in Cunard pricing.

The standard tipping is $10/day per/person. Some people reduce that amount for small children but that is up to you. Many times they can be more work than big kids for cabin stewards and waitstaff.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. We'll do the best we can to ask questions.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Yeoman

Default Pricing on cruises

You won't be a pest, all of us would be glad to help you with any questions you have. Many ships now make the crossing. Good luck on your search and let us know if you choose to cruise.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07