Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default The return to reality-how do you cope?

Just so I can get some advance preparation-how do you experienced cruisers deal with the return to normal life off the ship? Does depression set in? Do you immediately book another cruise? Does the first few days back on land seem "off" in some way?
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Firstly, if you can, book another onboard, that's a good start..you will be whining and sobbing as you walk off the ship so be prepared...you will find yourself calling for the waiter, when you sit down to dinner. make your kids, put a mint on the pillow.....and if you listen real hard..you might hear someone yelling BINGO in the distance Come to chat and cruise vicariously through all of us who have just come back from a cruise..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 6th, 2005, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Seattleguy - you MUST book a cruise while ON your upcomming cruise! Not only will you get a cabin credit (at least on RCI and Celebrity) for your next cruise, you will have something to look forward to!

Just think of your time off the ship as a l-o-n-g excursion.

Practice folding towels into animal shapes.

Visit all of the different cruise boards you can find. (I use 3 of them.)

Talk friends into going on your next cruise with you.

Organize the pictures you took into a great album. (p.s. very few people will understand how excited you are to look at them.)

Good luck with cruise withdrawal!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

I can't find it online at cruisemates, but there is a threat about the cruise blues, I thought it was from Ann Campbell. I have it at home, saved as a document. It makes you smile when you read it.

Here at work the search does not work properly. [/u]

Read and post cruise reviews

Old December 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I agree with all that have posted the post cruise blues. I have my cruises in scrapbooking albums, since this is my profession. then I can take the book down and look thru all the great times. also, collect videos or cd of various cruis destionations you want to visit. AAA has a library just for that, your local travel agent has posters to hang on the wall.
when you can ($$) book another. Then you will have something to look forward to.
Keep up with the cruise board here and chat with us. We meet at 9:00 EST every night. drop in and say hi.
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Default The Return to Reality: How Do You Cope?

Sometimes, if I'm gone long enough, I look forward to getting home. That will probably be the case after our back-to-back next year. Two or three weeks away from home is enough for me. Then once I'm home, I get involved in getting back to my normal routine; i.e., unpacking, picking up accumulated mail at the P.O., etc.

Judy
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Admiral

drink alot in your cruiseline drink of the day glass that you spent $6.95 for (VBG)

There is no such thing as post cruise depression, according to Tom Cruise, who should know something about cruising with a last name like that. If you put that thought in your head, stay away from making posting on Cruise Mates, don't look at your cruise pictures and stuff, never unpack, don't tell anyone about your cruise, don't pay your credit card bill with your cruise charges, you'll be just fine
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Admiral

After my first cruise I had a bad case of PCD (post cruise depression) I just couldn't be bothered with cooking, cleaning or any of that stuff. I kept forgetting that we left our waiter and room steward back on the ship. I think that everyone is right, you must book another cruise immediately and be prepared for the inertia that follows your arrival at home. I think too that it might be a good idea to hire a full time cook and housekeeper just to help get you through until you cruise once more.
Old December 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Reality?!?!?!?! What's that?!?!?!?! I mean.....just keep thinking about that next cruise.......it will keep ya going til it finally arrives.......

Steve.......in our case from May to Sept go to the water front & look at the cruise ships.......it does help!!!!!

Sharon
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sharon-OMG-I used to drive a forklift near the docks that were right by the cruise terminal and I would sometimes sit and stare at those ships and wonder what it must be like to be on one. It was always like some far off dream. I think seeing the ships this time around would be absolute agony and its probably good that my cruise is in the 2nd week of the season.

Now if I can only do something about this (PreCD) Pre-cruise depression. I can always ride the ferry (whoopee!)
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Steve.......trust me.............the ferry just won't cut it!!!! Been there.........done that............

Sharon
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Captain

for me its getting back to my normal life and the i have the crusing
blues then i start to research my next cruise
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

I found it

CURES FOR THE "I NEED A CRUISE" BLUES

· Ring the front doorbell six short, one long blast and assemble the family outside for life boat drill.
· Twist your pajamas into animal shapes (Carnival passengers only).
· Sing karoke in the shower. (Cordless mike recommended).
· Take all the paintings off your wall and hold an art auction.
· Attend local "Friends of Bill W" meetings and tell them you're a cruisaholic.
· Cook up a midnight buffet.
· Watch "Love Boat" (original series) on cable, tape segments and re-watch throughout the day.
· Give family a floor plan of the house with directions to the dining room. Tell them tonight is formal.
· Stick a pink paper umbrella in your morning coffee.
· Hang a card on your bedroom door before retiring at night, wait for room service to wake you in the morning with fresh coffee.
· Make bingo at the local church a scheduled family activity.
· Flush your toilet five times to simulate sound of evac plumbing.
· If you are the person doing all this work, distribute small envelopes and tipping guidelines.

Tnx to Anne Campbell[/list]