Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default No Nursing Home

I received this from a niece and thought it was too cute not to pass on

No Nursing Home for Me

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line,but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?

Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

PS - And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

How is this a suggestion to the cruise lines?

SLPS What?

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Passenger

This is an old story but still good. I too would book FOREVER on a cruise ship vs. a retriement home. But they will not premit any long term reservations any longer. In fact on the QM2 it is the contact that you cannot stay on the ship more than 6 months.

Cunard: 6 Cruises
Carnival: 6 Cruises
NCL: 5 Cruises
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM
Passenger

After 6 months, it would be nice to have a change of scenery anyhow! And with all the places they GO, it should be easy enough to book another line if necessary and change. . .meet new crewmembers, see different shows! My mom spent 4 days in a nursing home and I think that if you are remotely healthy and cognizant it would be a living nightmare between the horrible food and the iffy care. OTOH, my mom got sick on a cruise ship, and that is a whole other nightmare story!
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:09 PM
Admiral

There have been a number of people who book cruises back to back to back etc. One lady after many years actually had to be refused passage again as she became so demanding that she was a nusance to other passengers, not to mention the crew! I was not aware that any line had put a restriction on the number of cruises one could take. So long as they pay and they are not a problem I don't see how they could really stop you. Then again, I think I would like to change ships every now and then. <G>
Jim