Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Default Man reportedly killed at Miami airport after saying he bomb

MIAMI - A passenger who claimed to have a bomb in a carry-on bag was shot to death on a jetway after an American Airlines plane arrived at Miami International Airport from Colombia, according to officials and broadcast reports.

All I can say is this show we are not screwing around with security anymore.
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

And I'm sitting here 'cussing' the news....they are saying it is tragic, he may have been distressed, 'how could they kill him'

..he claimed to have a bomb, he got what he deserved in my opinion, it is time we quit tip-toeing around.
Old December 8th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Admiral

The bleeding heart whiners are already in full chorus. Yes the man was mentally ill. However, his wife revealed that he was not taking his medication. Is it tragic? Absolutely. Did the air marshals do the right thing? Absolutely. The decision to take or not to take prescribed medication is a personal one, and if one is not competent to make such a decision, then partial responsibility falls on those who share their life. There is no room for asking detailed questions in this sort of situation. I can already envision the grieving widow on Oprah crying her eyes out, as a faux outraged Oprah asks "How can we let this happen?"

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

I agree with CA and Doug whole hearted. VERY WELL SAID!!! And yes, I can see the Oprah scenario, but thank God, it will NOT be an entire audience full of grieved family members because a Marshall hesitated and allowed an even greater tragedy. We have to act promptly and decisively to be effective.

Let me further say that our much loved Son-in-law is also Bi-polar......he DOES comply with his meds, but one of the many factors in this disorder is the resistance to take the meds......a feeling of empowerment and invincibility, which can be dangerous to the sufferer and in extreme cases, those around them.......and THIS WAS AN EXTREME CASE!
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

the Marshall's did what they had to do under the circumstances, the man was warned several times.
Of course it is sad and tragic that it had to happen this way.
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Captain

don't take this wrong i'm not a bleeding heart but i feel sorry for the mans family but i agree on what your saying about security this not something should joke about
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Fortunately very few people except the realistically challenged like Katie Coric are saying anything at all except that the Air Marshal did exactly what he should have and that yes it was a shame he didn't really didn't have a bomb and pose a danger but was mental. The guy I feel sorry for is the Air Marshal who know knows trhat the guy was delusional. There is absoulutely no way he could have known any of this and even if he did he took the proper action. I sincerely hope that no other Air Marshale ever hesitates to take the threat out because of this incident. I am also a little confused as my knowledge of this type of manic depression does not lend itself to delusions, just extreme mood swings so it is more than "Bi-Polar". (God I really hate that new 'catch phrase' for what was called manic-depressive-disorder.)
Jim
Old December 8th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Jim, here is a description of BPD.....the MANIC side of it.....see the last paragraph about psychosis. This disorder is very heartbreaking....and even someone who complies with their Rx protocol can have episodes......we know that first hand.

What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings—from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Signs and symptoms of mania (or a manic episode) include:
Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can't concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong

Sometimes, severe episodes of mania or depression include symptoms of psychosis (or psychotic symptoms). Common psychotic symptoms are hallucinations (hearing, seeing, or otherwise sensing the presence of things not actually there) and delusions (false, strongly held beliefs not influenced by logical reasoning or explained by a person's usual cultural concepts). Psychotic symptoms in bipolar disorder tend to reflect the extreme mood state at the time. For example, delusions of grandiosity, such as believing one is the President or has special powers or wealth, may occur during mania; delusions of guilt or worthlessness, such as believing that one is ruined and penniless or has committed some terrible crime, may appear during depression. People with bipolar disorder who have these symptoms are sometimes incorrectly diagnosed as having schizophrenia, another severe mental illness.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Mgram has certainly provided definitive information on bi-polar disorder. I spent several years as a U.S. Administrative Law Judge working primarily with medical disability cases, and I saw a lot of bi-polar sufferers first hand. they most certainly can have psychotic delusions. Sometimes the diagnostic lines between bipolar and paranoid schizophrenia are blurry at best. If you are psychotic because you don't take your medicine, but you don't take your medicine because you are psychotic, it leads to what in this case turned out to be a very tragic catch 22 situation. At the same time, I am sure the sky marshal's did exactly what they were supposed to do. They had no way of knowing that the man did not have a bomb as he claimed. They are not triggerhappy. They must frequently show considerable restraint, otherwise these shooting incidents would not be so extremely rare.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10