Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default Your Holiday Traditions

Share your holiday traditions! How do you celebrate Christmas/Hannukah/etc.? What do you do that's unique to your family?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Admiral

We usually have at least one Hanukkah party and invite all our non-Jewish friends. They all look forward to the party and just LOVE playing driedel and eating all the gross fried foods. They take a kind of new delight in our holiday and it's nice seeing it thru non-Jewish eyes.

We also do the same thing at other Jewish holidays. My non-Jewish friends are all well versed in Shabbat, Sukkot, Rosh Hashana.....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Captain

there is a sled ride i won't forget it was my dad sister and i went for a
sled ride my dad ws on the bottom my sister and me on the top when we were going down the hill on the sled we hit a chunk of snow and
we crack the sled that is the ride i won't forget
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For some reason this year, I have been unually active in holiday themes..I just made a fabulous centerpiece form a coffee can, candy canes and peppermint hard candies...it holds white carnations,,I also bought a gingerbread house kit, I will be making soon...It comes with candy, but I am sure I will be adding a necco wafer roof, and a hrinestone or two...

The dinner has to be the same EVERY year..I can add things, but NEVER subtract a dish....

A few years back, I gave all my ornaments to Nikki..she took dibs on them many moons ago, so I have no tree anymore..I have seen some interesting liquor advertised I think we shall try too this year....I may call a cab, even though dinner is at my house Happy holidays!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Dorothy - if your're making koogle (I have no idea how to spell it) I'm on my way, when is the party !

I'm not Jewish, but a good friend of mine is. I had koogle for the first time at his daughters bat-mitzpah...YUM YUM.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

When we were kids we had Christmas Eve dinner at Aunt Angels house every year....a big Italian feast with 7 different kinds of seafood which is supposed to represent the 7 sacraments. It was always a crowded chaotic affair with us kids running around asking "presents now?" while the adults tried to enjoy coffee and pastry after dinner. She lived in a huge house...big enough to fit 21 in the kitchen for dinner! The evening wasn't complete until a fuse would blow.... even more chaos in the dark....seems like it happened every year.

Things are quieter now. Our families tradition is to go to candlelight service on Christmas eve and come home and do a much scaled down dinner from Aunt Angels...we're down to a simple shrimp and scallop pasta (leaving out the other 5 seafoods). In past years we've had 20 or so family and friends for dinner....but things are quieter these days with my sister having moved to California and our dads having passed away
but will still invite stray friends to join us.
Also I've been making a red velvet cake every year on Christmas eve morning and each year I write Merry Christmas in a different language...goofy but fun.
Angela Z.
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Admiral

For Mrs. Cynic and I, it is beyond a full-time occupation just trying to remember, even notice, that it is Christmas time.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Admiral

being that i married into a Polish family we celebrate Villelia (sp?) on Christmas Eve, its a polish feast, put on by my mother-in-law. On Christmas morning its just the 3 of us. We open our presents, have a nice breakfast and then get ready to go to my parent's house where we do it all again. Mom makes Prime Rib dinner, its her special gift to everyone. We all bring something to eat - I am responsible for my homemade rolls, cookies and dessert.
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Admiral

We do the very Italian Christmas Eve tradition of seven fishes with all the girls and my family. Included are shrimp, scallops, clams, calamari, and whatever else looks good at the seafood counter at the time. The presents are opened on Christmas Eve so Christmas is a sleep-in day, except that this year it being Sunday we will attend church.

On that subject, I read that many churches are cancelling Sunday services because it is Christmas. Yes you heard right!!!!!!! They seem to think God is taking that day off.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Doug! What? That's crazy. We go to mid-night mass anyway and will probably not go on Christmas. I know, I'm bad. Its hard dragging teens up early once a week for church let alone a few hours apart. But I haven't heard that they are cancelling.

Our personal tradition is one of our trees. We have three, one in the foyer, one in the lower level, if we have a big party, and one in the family room. That one is the gift tree. Not a single ornament can be bought from us, they all must be gifts. Gifts to each other or from other people to us. It is full of hallmark and kid-made bulbs. The kids decorate that tree and I am not allowed to fix it when they are done. When they were little all the ornaments were on the bottom half of the tree. Now that they are tall teens, all the ornaments are on the top and on two sides because they are to lazy to walk around to the other side or bend down!! Oh the joys of teens! lol

Xmas eve we, my siblings, all take turns having it with the five of us. Xmas day is with our inlaws if possible. We go to Mid-night mass. We always have the same thing for Christmas breakfast which is a special egg dish I only make at this time. One year it started a fire in the oven. That was fun!

Nice Tread Michelle. I enjoy reading traditions, but what are yours?

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Captain

Hi Tbug,
I noticed you are MI. I was there for a year in the Brighton area. Great bunch of people in MI. I remember pop was the word to use and the cool glass bottle pop 8 packs. Do they still have then there?
I have to post again with my traditions but must get some things done.
K
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Karen: Yes they do. And we still call it pop not soda! Let me know if you are ever in MI again. I would meet you in a heart beat! Brighton is about 45 minutes away at the most. I live in Rochester if you know where that is.

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Our tradition so far, is to Praise thanks for the reason for the season and then eat and open presents and then eat, then visit with everyone, then eat again, then take a nap. You know the routine.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Since Christmas and Hannkkah are so close this year, we will be celebrating both at the same time. I'll make the kugel,Latkes,Mandelbrat,
My DD will do good with the turkey, pies, and trimmings.
WOW its' going to be a full holiday this year. DHs family does not celebrate, but they have passover, new year, and other Jewish holidays.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Admiral

My family is from Texas, and every year on Christmas eve we have my dad's homemade chili with nachos and tamales. My grandmother is coming from Texas this year so she will bring fresh tamales with her.

On Christmas morning we get up and eat breakfast, then open our stockings and then the gifts. One person acts as "Santa" and passes out the gifts one at a time. While someone is opening a gift, everyone else watches. It helps Christmas morning last a lot longer and also helps us keep track of who got what from whom for thank-you notes.

We have an ordinary lunch, maybe sandwiches, then in the afternoon everyone naps or reads their new books or plays with their new toys. In the evening we have a big Christmas dinner. There's a different main course every year, but it's always fancy. We're having homemade plum pudding for dessert, too.

With Christmas being on a Sunday next year, my mom's church has changed their service time to 10:00, right in the middle of the morning. I'm not sure if we'll go or not - depends on what everyone wants to do. DH and I might go to midnight mass the night before instead.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old December 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Michelle?..I like your Christmas set up..think you could handle a couple more? hehehe...I love tamles, chili, nachos, burritos, tacos, hamburgers.. 8)
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default Your Holiday Traditions

On Christmas morning (my birthday, incidentally), we build a toasty fire, make coffee and open gifts. Then Keith makes Huevos Rancheros. Later in the day, we go to the in-laws and do the whole thing all over again. They are all good cooks, last year was prime rib witgh all the trimmings.

Judy
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Down here in San Antonio, you can buy hog's heads at the butcher shop to make your tamales. I believe that the best tamales are made with everything that is a hog's head as well as lard.

That can't be healthy, but I guess you can get by with it if you eat them only once a year.
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

For about 3 weeks before Christmas, the "elves" come every other night or so. My dad would always get suddenly quiet, then say "did you guys hear something?" All three of us kids would go running, looking under all the drapes, by all the windows, and out the back door. There would be candy, or a small toy waiting for us that the "elves" had brought. It was always something we looked forward to around Christmas time. Good ole Dad still does it for us, and his grandchildren. It's something I am really looking forward to continue with my kids (if I ever have any!)

Happy Holidays!!!!
Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Yeoman

My Christmas tradition, at mothers. The extended family, Spouses grandkids etc., come over and open each others presents, drink heavily (start off with egg nog, and end off with potent stuff) and hope the Santa stuff is put together or prepared right. We read Twas the night before Christmas, the eldest male in the house if he is sober enough, if not, then we get a different version.

Now my family tradition is a tad bit different since my family lives in Washington. Here at the Jones house, we each open one present on Xmas eve, then the next morning I have a warm Swedish T-ring pastry ready to east while my son does his Stocking and presents thing, then we all open presents one at a time, until we have no more. I make a huge dinner, and top the night off with a shot of something.
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Beginner

HELLO EVERYONE,
WHEN MY PARENTS WERE STILL LIVING.........
AND MY THREE SISTERS AND ONE BROTHER AND THEIR FAMILIES.
WOULD COME HOME WE OPENED GIFTS CHRISTMAS EVE.............
CHRISTMAS DAY WE HAD A BIG NICE DINNER..................
NOW,MY PARENTS ARE GONE SISTER'S CHILDREN HAVE CHILDREN
OF THIER OWN NOW.........ME I AM SINGLE............
AND MY CHRISTMAS TRADITION NOW IS TO GO
ON A CHRISTMAS CRUISE.............
MERRY CRUISING TOOOOOOOOO MEEEEE...................
I AM LEAVING 12/15 CRUISE STARTS 12/17-22 AND 12/22-26.
DOING A BACK TO BACK ON THE CELEBRATION........
MERRY CRUISING TO ALL
BARBARA[/i]
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Admiral

We go to the in-laws on Christmas Eve. Eat a very early dinner (turkey, and MIL French-Canandian dressing). Then we all go to Mass (the Church is right beside there house). Then we head back to the in-laws. Out comes all kinds of homemade desserts (cookies, whoopie pies, raspberry squares, donuts,) Nuts, and candy (as if we need to eat more...) and lots of coffee. After that we start opening presents. As there are usually at least 12-16 of us (depending who can come home) it takes a long time, as we all watch each present opened. We get home around mid-night. Lots of talking and laughing. The cousins are all right around the same age, and are more like brother and sisters (these would be our kids and my SIL).

We get up 7ish the next morning. Open stockings. Then a light breakfast. We start getting ready to head to my sister's house. I usually bring a good share of the menu. It changes every year. Last year was prime rib and spiral cut ham. This year we have decided to have July at Christmas - we are going to grill steaks and chicken (yup in Vermont in the middle of winter - hope the weather doesn't act up - yeah right). Will have all the usual fare - potato salad, jello salad, green salad. I might make my baked beans ( gotta use lots of maple syrup!) Not sure what dessert will be yet.

Then we open gifts - there will be at least 14 of us. It will take hours!!! One gift at a time, and it is extreme. Everyone buys for everyone, and it is always at least 3 or 4 gifts apiece. We won't get home 'til about 9. This year we will be going to Church in the morning, so maybe we will wait and open our stockings when we get home Christmas night. Church is at 9 so we won't have much time in the morning.
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Barbara:

Sounds like a nice new tradition. When life offers you lemons you make lemonade, huh?

Welcome to the boards. Post often and get to know this fine group of people.

Tina

Old December 10th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBug
Barbara:

Sounds like a nice new tradition. When life offers you lemons you make lemonade, huh?

Welcome to the boards. Post often and get to know this fine group of people.

Tina
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME...........
I HAVE BEEN HERE READING...........
AND THOUGHT I'D POST.............
MY MOTHER WOULD WANT ME TO BE HAPPY..........
AND CRUISING MAKES ME HAPPY............
MERRY CRUISING TO MEEEEEEEEE...........
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND CRUISING TO ALL..........
THIS TIME NEXT WEEK I'LL BE ON THE CELEBRATION..........
BARBARA
Old December 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Barbara: Well good luck to you hun, and when you return be sure to let us know how it went. Have fun and remember to take it all in stride.

Old December 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Captain

Hey Tbug,
Thats neat about still having the glass coke bottles. It's been awhile but I'll let you know if I head over to MI.

My Christmas starts at the in-laws on Christmas eve. They have international friends so it gets interesting. The flaming thing(plum pudding?), french soups etc.
Christmas day continues at in-laws with big exchange and other usual things. They sing a nice grace and sounds beautiful when all are together to harmonize.
My son made his entrance into the world on the 27 so the party continues at my house with both families combined the day after Christmas. We both have 5 siblings so many to be jolly with.
I wouldn't mind seeing a Jewish celebration one day.
Karen
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Just catching up on old threads, and liked this one Michelle!
One Christmas tradition in my family has always been for my mom to make her traditional French-Canadian tortieres (meat pies) and we would eat them for breakfast Christmas morning (yes, breakfast!). With her so sick last year, we didn't get them, but maybe I will make them this year, using her old recipe. Also from her recipes, were annual shortbread cookies (still the best I've ever tasted), and date and nut loaf and Rainbow Roll.
As a kid I remember lots and lots of relatives, aunts uncles, cousins, who all lived 1 street over, and we would gather for a big family celebration.
In more recent years, it has just been immediate family at my mom's for a big turkey dinner, the last of which took place last Christmas. This year, without my mom around, everything will be much different, so I guess it's time to start some new family traditions....

donna
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We always have a set of presents that are opened on Christmas eve. That stemmed from parents giving in to kids incessant begging to open JUST ONE present. I think I was the kid who started that tradition.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 10th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Christmas traditions

since there are only three of us that can usually get together (one day the distance will be shorter) we usualy have one gift for each of us (usually something to wear to church) to open christmas eve, then Midnight mass. after mass, we like to go to IHOP, waffle house or some other 24 hour spot, have breakfast and leave a larger than normal tip. then back home till morning.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

A few years ago I made my Hubby a royal red velvet Santa Suit, and he has become Mr Claus at his place of employment. A couple of years ago I too made myself a red velvet victorian Mrs Claus Dress, and joined in on the fun. This year I made my daughter a renaisance (not sure the spelling of that one) style Christmas dress. She is our official Elf of course. We all go to Applebee's (where my Hubby works) and set up a free photo shoot for kids and adults alike. Elf is in charge of the digital camera, and photo printer. The guests get their offical free photo with Santa within a few short minutes. So that has become our most recent Christmas tradition. It is fun to bring joy to others when ever you can. So with that note, I want to wish each and every one out there, "A Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!"

The Kringles

From Arizona (North Pole South )

I Believe in Santa............. Do You????

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006