CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Mini review on Rollerdonna,s Triumph (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/305124-mini-review-rollerdonna-s-triumph.html)

elfed55 December 11th, 2005 09:58 AM

Mini review on Rollerdonna,s Triumph

Hi Folks,
R D's hubby here to post a very mini review of our recent trip on the Carnival Triumph to the Eastern Caribbean on December 3rd.
The ship itself: Attractive,not so gaudy as some of the other ships we have been on but oh, the carpets! Virtually all the high traffic areas were heavily stained and appeared very grubby. Lots of deck space and the ship never felt crowded on deck.
Food: Awful! The South Beach Lido deck lunch menu was no more than average whilst the evening menu lacked variety. But the biggest let down was in the Paris Dining Room.Rollerdonna will explain in detail about this in her review.
Entertainment: Superb-at least the shows we saw. Carnival is hard to beat for it's main lounge shows.
Cabin: Great! No. 8296 on the Veranda Deck left side. We had the best room stewardess ever. Her name was Svetlana from the C.S.S.R. and she did a fabulous job looking after everything.
Cruise Director: Matt Ross from Ohio. Great personality and did his job well despite repeating the same tired old jokes we have heard on all the other Carnival Cruises we have taken.
Embarkation/de-embarkation: A breeze. We arrived at the pier close to 1 p.m.and joined a long line up outside. But it kept moving and we were on the Triumph by 2 p.m. Getting off the ship we chose the Self Assist method and were on the bus to Miami Airprt at 8-45 a.m. You can't beat that.
Ship's staff: Very friendly and helpful at all times.
Shore Excursions: Good with the beach excursion to Mullet Bay in St. Maarten being the highlight.
Finally there were many people who were sea sick on this trip due to the strong winds and 13 foot seas. Coming back from St. Maarten was particulary bad with a the ship pitching and rolling for hours. I sat on our balcony (whilst Donna tried to keep down her supper!) and literally watched the ship ride up on these waves then down into the trough before rearing up again with the next wave. The sea was an angry mass of foam and noise. We won't forget this trip in a hurry!!!
So the cruise rates a 7 from me with the food being a huge let down.
Regards to you all
James.

LS80 December 11th, 2005 10:04 AM

James.........glad y'all had a good time.......rough seas can put a damper on things tho.......

Waiting to hear Donna's full review.......

Sharon

Tweety December 11th, 2005 10:32 AM

Boy James you are quick. Sounds like it was a rough ride. I'm sure the pictures will come with Donna's review. Good to have you all back.

rollerdonna December 11th, 2005 10:39 AM

Looks like I will have to go to Wal Mart's 1 hr. photo today, and get started on my picture review as soon as possible!

donna

Luanne Russo December 11th, 2005 10:41 AM

I am so oooo glad you are home. Our Cruisemate house felt empty.

Luanne

Kuki December 11th, 2005 12:00 PM

Hey James... thanks for the quick report. I believe Carnival is just about to roll out new menus, so that could have something to do with the dining room food situation. They may be "using up" previous ingredients.

And your comments about the CD... think all the Carnival CDs use the "tried and true" stuff, and of course add their own personalities and variations to it.

Don't know when the Triumph is scheduled for a dry dock, but sounds as though it should be soon.

Phyllbo December 11th, 2005 12:52 PM

Welcome back James and Donna! Thanks for the mini review James. I'm glad you had a great time inspite of the food and the high seas.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures now.

Phyll

TBug December 11th, 2005 02:10 PM

I'm surprized the carpets were so bad as she just went drydock. I thought they were replacing all of that. We were on her in Sept. I totally know what you are saying about the lido deck. We tried several times, never went back. Dining room food wasn't bad thou for us. Not 5 star, but I didn't expect that.

Matt ross: Didn't care for him. He always yelled into the microphone. To the point it would distort. Never saw him other than the shows.

Loved those deals in the jewerly shops too.

Glad you are back safe and sound. Look forward to those pics and reviews.