Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default A Christmas Memory

I like to reflect on my pass, so to not make the same mistakes. I also like to draw up old times, and relive them again. I have a Christmas memory I wanted to share. I don't remember the year, but it was in Germany. We were in a unit (military) that had a large group of single soldiers. It was always a tradition for me to invite all the single guys and girls to where ever we lived, but this year, even my house could not hold them all. A group of ladies and I got together, and we had bake sales, and made the money to provide the single guys with something for Christmas. We baked, and planned, and wrapped until we were about to drop. The important thing was to provide the people without family something close to home. I had some extra money left over, so I went to the German store to see if I could find something to add to what we already had. There was a little German boy playing with a toy in the floor of the store. It was a plastic fire truck, with Santa's head sticking out, and as the truck moved, the Santa head would go round and round. It was so cute, so you guessed it, I bought some. I told the German store owner what they were for, and told him I wished I had enough money to buy all of the soldiers a toy, and this little old German man with a tear in his eye, gave me his entire stock of toy trucks. Now it wasn't until I got back on post, that I realized what I had done. The angel on one shoulder said I shouldn't have planned to buy toys for grown men, but the devil on my other shoulder reminded me that those were called men, but to look in their faces, you could still see the little boy and girl in them.

I took over the day room for the night, and put together those goodies, with the toys on the very top. I think I left and went home about 6:30 the next morning, not realizing that it was Christmas morning. As I looked back at the building, with tears in my eyes, I realized that asleep, in that building, were someones baby. That by day they were defending our country, but at night, they were little boys, who could have used their mother's love.

Well, the next day I get a call to come to post. It's the big brass. They did not sound happy. Now you know when you get in trouble, that devil on your shoulder goes away, and leaves you to face the music, so here I go in to face it alone. My good angel was of course telling me she told me so. I walk in those big impressive doors and hear the most commotion I have ever heard. The soldiers were in the floor, playing cars with each other. They had races on one side, and bumper cars in the other area. What I think I forgot to mention was that I brought 200 cars that day.

As it turned out I was not in trouble, but they wanted to thank me for being Santa Claus. They were our fighting men and women, but for the day, I was mom.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Luanne.. a LOVELY memory! Thanks for painting a very vivid picture of it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Captain

Thanks! That story is great. I really enjoyed reading it.

Karen
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

I have to admit..I have a tear in both eyes..Thanks for sharing.
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing your Christmas memory with us Luanne. That was such a heartwarming story and you told it so well. I'm glad that you followed your heart on the toy trucks. You're a real sweetie!!!!

Phyll
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Yeoman

That was wonderful. I myself lived in Germany, Army, and I tried to do what I could for our soldiers. I got rooked into being the Christmas Elf. It was no where near the specialness you did, but I agree. The men and women over there deserved some fun.
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

A very moving, warm and heart moving gesture. This goes to prove that giving rather than receiving brings back the better memories.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Luanne we all knew you were a special caring person but this story just confirms it again. There's a special place in the hearts of all those fighting men and women for the moments of pleasure your thoughtfullness brought them that day.

Carnival Glory
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne, that was a story that had my attention from the beginning and it reminded me of stories I've read in Readers Digest. Have you considered a novel or website for your stories?
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Luanne............great story.......I can just see all those trucks being played with..........I'm sure they were all having a great time.........Glad you did it!

Sharon
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thank you for all your nice comments. Steve, I do have a web site. It's called Cruisemates.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Luanne- Having been the single Airman far from home on many a Christmas season I can relate to your kindness. We loved people like you who remembered we were out there far from home. It made us feel special when someone like you remembered us.

God bless you!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004