Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Going Nowhere, fast

I just watched an episode of Airline...This episode, passengers from several direct and connecting flights, headed to Manchester, were delayed because of heavy fog.

It amazed me how many people went bonkers. Sort of like cruisers, being upset because the Captain avoided a hurricane,by bypassing an island Another person was not happy when her seat was given away due, to being overbooked. Certain situations are certainly understandably aggrivating, as that must have been. For her it worked out, only for her to be stuck on the plane due to the delay.She went nowhere, anyway

What did they expect,would happen, that, they would actually fly into heavy fog, risking life and limb? And of course these people, or their companies, ALWAYS fly Southwest,and now they NEVER will again!!

What they glossed over was how they decided who gets to board the first plane able to fly in, after the delay. This I found disturbing, not the first plane to be delayed it seemed.

This show, seems to always find a passenger, who finds their way to the bar, drinks to excess, and when they refuse him boarding, he cries fowl.
Lucky for me, I have not been at any aiprort where chaos has ruled. I would probably sit in the farthest seat away from the screamer, I hate when this kind of stuff happens.

I know this show focuses on people who will make a good tv show, and 90 % of people flying take delays etc, in mostly good stride, but it amazes me what does go on sometimes.

Have you ever been witness to craziness at an airport, or been part of it?We want details please

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Trip, I have two observations. first I agree with you wholeheartedly about the fog or any weather delay. Passengers who complain about that are fools who can't think beyond the end of their noses, even without fog. I guess they'd rather be dead than wait. Three years ago we were on a 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Crown Odyssey, then owned by Orient. We had to skip Fiji because it was taking a direct hit from a huge typhoon. There were a couple dozen misguided souls who were really torqued off at Orient. We got enough really rough water just skirting the far edge of the thing. Sailing into it would have been the grossest form of stupidity.

Second, I'm with the passenger who is mad about being bumped from a flight because of overbooking. :evil: There is absolutely no excuse for an airline ever to do this. It is a form of legalized fraud and the traveling public should not tolerate it. If Congress had an ounce of courage, it would require the airlines to triple refund the ticket cost to any passenger who is bumped due to overbooking, and pay damages for the inconvenience to boot!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Rich I agree. I have never understood the concept of overbooking. If I buy a seat, or a cabin, It's sold...it's MINE...Theyare not losing money if it goes empty at the last minute,it is paid for in full, right? Of course they can sell it to someone else, after the original passengers time restrictions have passed, at the last minute and make more..Am I still right?

So why oversell? Anyone?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 13th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Yeoman

Trip....Have I got Stories for you. I have run into these people, Sat next to these people, Run AWAY from these people! It never fails. Then there are the ones who drank excessively on the plane and had to be wheeled out. Let me think on the best ones, I'll get back to you.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think much of this has developed over the years because of the way the airlines ran their industry. Public relations and communications has been non existant.

Over the years I've had more than my share of flight delays for all sorts of reasons... and the information passed to the passengers most of the time is too infrequent, often misinformation, and in many cases lies.

Guess no pilots want to announce there's something wrong with the airplane, they have no idea what, and don't know when it'll be fixed

The airlines have always acted though they felt they were simply selling people transportation, and could get them there any time they pleased. It's an industry that could have done much better with a little customer relations... as they've found out with the introductions of some carriers such as Jet Blue, that actually talk to the customers and smile occassionally.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Admiral

I have spent a lot of time in airplanes throughout my career with a global company but I only became livid once.

Last year. Our flight to New Orleans was cancelled. OK. We were leaving on a cruise the next day and we had already paid for a hotel room for the evening. Air Tran could not get us to New Orleans the next day in time for the ship. They would only provide us with a voucher for 50% off a nearby hotel room. We live over an hours drive from the airport and found a flight on Southwest leaving at 6:30 a.m. They didn't want to refund our money. I raised a bit of holy hell and a supervisor came. I said "I contracted with you to get me to New Orleans tonight. You can't do that therefore you are violating the contract and I want refunded." "But we offer you a flight tomorrow and 50% off a very nice hotel." "But you can't get me to the ship before it sails! And why should I be out the 50% of the 'nice' hotel when you failed on your end of the contract?"

I got my money back and made the ship. But they actually refused for a while to give me a refund.

REgards,
Thomas
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Good for you Thomas

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

After years of flying for business and pleasure I guess I have seen it all. At least I thought I had. When flying home from our Century cruise in early June, Gram and I started counting the number of wheel chairs lining up for the flight. There were 17 chairs, each with an "entourage".
Yes, they ALL cruised past the long lines at security, boarded first and took up all the overhead bins etc. When I asked a flight attendent about the unusual number she commented it was the new "scam". They had 29
on a previous flight. Ironically almost none are met by a wheel chair on arrival and all have miraculous recoveries in flight.
Please no advocates for the handicapped or disabled jumping on Papa. I strongly believe in the rights of the disabled. I strongly believe those taking unfair advantage of it are out of control.
I'd like to see Airline" cover that story.
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Hi PapaB,

No, you've probably not "seen it all"!

We had a similar experience on our last cruise! A very "healthy" man and his wife in their 60's (just guessing) were very active onboard and on the tours. They had their own RX snorkel masks, etc.

Now, he may have been injured the last night, but I doubt it!

When we disembarked he was in a wheelchair and they were among the first off! He had no problem moving from the wheelchair to the limo!
Another miraculous recovery!

Like you, I strongly believe in the rights of the disabled. My late Uncle was in a wheelchair most of his life. But to see AB people take advantage just makes me sick!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014