Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Default What were your Grandmother's sayings?

My grandmother would always say, "don't stare like that your eyes will get stuck."

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Yeoman

Grandmother: "Oh for gods sakes <insert name here>!"
Great Grandmother: "Don't swear! It sounds like hell!"
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Admiral

My grandmother used to sum up anyone's conversation with "That's that".

donna
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Admiral

My grandmother would insert other names when calling you before she finally got your name out. She knew who you were, it's just that everybody else would come out first.

"Hi, Jo-lo-aaa-sissy-(sigh) I mean Tinabug".

Man I miss her. She also said that if you eat the crust on the bread, your hair would be curly. Huh?

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Captain

I wasn't fortunate enough to know my grandmothers being the youngest of 6. They were around when I can't remember well. Ryan is lucky to have both still around. I'm sure he'll have some fun memories.

K
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

My granny would say," eat all your vegetables, there are starving children in China who would like to have your food." She would also say the the crust was the best part of bread, and it makes your hair curly. Guess that why I like to eat around the sandwich edge first.
She lived with us untill her death at age 99. No nursing home for her, she was spunky and very much a a part of my life till the end. I miss her and my mom very much.
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Captain

My grandmothers most quotable is "you're big enough, old enough and ugly enough to do it yourself". My husband once got himself into trouble on her first visit to our home when he said " Hon, can you get me the BBQ sauce" within seconds she was yelling her favorite phrase from the kitchen. My poor hubby didn't know what to think but 15 years later he gives it right back to her. Neither of us even want to think about her not being around.
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The one Grandmother I knew lived with us, but only spoke French...I sure did know when she was talking about me though...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Trip, you triggered a memory for me! When I was young, I had a great-grandmother and 2 great-aunts who all lived together on the next street. "Memere" would always speak French to her 2 daughters when we children were around, thinking that we wouldn't understand what she was saying. Little did she know that we were all learning French at school and we understood everything!

donna
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

My Mom's mom was kind of an crusty old gal and you could tell had little patience for anything, especially her own grandchildren... the only thing I remember her saying was, "leave it be!" Even though she was only in her 60's when she died, sadly she was a very old woman on the inside if you know what I mean. She drew very little enjoyment from life.
My Dad's mom on the other hand, lived to be 97, she was inspiring. She lived a few hours away and I didn't get to see her that often, but I learned a lot from her. She would often say "I don't know any more than an old Jackrabbit". The kettle or pot was called a kittle, and the covers or blankets were called kivers. Grandma always had time for us kids. I often think she was born a hundred years too early. She could have been a doctor or a scientist. I remember sitting at the table on snowy holiday's while she and grandpa played Rook with my parents and they would talk about the times she performed surgery on the barnyard animals and all of her plasters and folk remedies, I wish I had the presence of mind to pay more attention and had written her sayings down.
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

Donna...that just triggered a memory for me. I had to spell out what Boris was getting for Christmas so he wouldn't get excited. I do so hope he hasn't learned how to spell yet.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admiral

I and my children were quite blessed. My grandmothers only died within the last 9 years. As a result my children were lucky enough to know their great grandmothers into their adult years. In addition they still have three living grandparents. As aresult, my grandchildren know their great grandparents and have relationships with them that will make indelible impressions.
Things they said. Well with one, the kids that were starving were not in China but in India. She hated when we told her to wrap up the food and we'd send it to them . (insensitive little rats weren't we?).
My other grandmother was the living embodiment of Auntie Mame in every respect. She was flamboyant, outgoing and spoiled us beyond belief. Hair was sometimes flaming red, blond, black and brunette.
Both offered one thing no words were needed for. You knew you had their unconditional love. My grandchildren (and children of course) can always expect the same from me because of them.
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I can remember Dear ol' Grandma like it was yesterday, saying "You kids get your butts outside and leave me to my Jack Daniels"...jk
and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Captain

My grandmothers most quotable is "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all

Grand Ma's "You gotta Love Them" for their wisdom.

John 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

when she was often giving me whippings she would say "the more you cry, the less you pee"...I got smart after a while and no matter how much it would hurt, I would never cry...the whippings got shorter when I learned that
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We were lucky enough to spend every summer with my mom's mother who also had a bit of Auntie Mame in her....we took many trips to the New York Worlds Fair (64-65), Boston to see my mom's sister and anywhere else the spirit moved her. After such an adventure, Grandma would proclaim "we did it and we're glad". Not sure why she said that but my sister and I say it to this day.
Angela Z.
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:17 PM
First Mate

My grandma would also say, eat the crust it will make your hair curly, also when she would babysit and we'd say where did mommy go, she always replied: She went up to Mike's to see the sunrise! Never did get it! Really miss that!!! I am now a grandma and I hope I'm just like her!!!!
Old December 16th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The two quotes that I remember most about my grandmother are:

"When you have a cold, if you go to the doctor it will take 2 weeks to go away. If you don't go to the doctor, it will take 14 days". Makes sense, no?

Being a devout Belgian Catholic, every time she misplaced her glasses, her knitting, her coffee cup, she'd blame "either the Protestants or the Communists took it".
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Admiral

I could write a book on this one. Let's see - some of thre highlights!

"Ne're leave a clout til May is out" - loosley translated - keep your winter woolies on until June lol.

"Sing at the table - end up in the workhouse"

"Laugh before breakfast - cry before dinner"

The funniest time we ever had was when she was in her 90's. We were all ready to have thanksgiving dinner and my very relligious cousin was saying a rather long grace when Granny piped up "Why the he** doesn't that idiot shut up so we can eat!" Needless to say dinner was postponed for a good ten minites to give everyone time to stop laughing - Another Crusty old gal - just eh way I want to be when I'm 90

ttfn Jennifer
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I remembered one my grandma would say:

"This kitchen is so small I couldn't cook a bird without getting feathers in my mouth."

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

My Grandmother was famous for offering up a nice refreshing beverage after I would come over and do a chore for her such as mow the lawn. Then she would sit out on the porch with me and say, "Now you don't want this lemonade it has dynamite in it. Here's yours."

WTH, why would you put dynamite in your lemonade? That's when I was a little more naive than I am today.

Now I spend several hours just reading message boards to figure out how to "smuggle" dynamite on board a cruise ship.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the smiles.

Grandma used to say "I want to go to heaven,,,,but not necessarily in the next load!"

See you aboard,
Ken