Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Why San Diego is a great point of departure

OK, I may be biased since I am a native, but San Diego has to be one of the most beautiful ports from which to depart. Just look at this photo from a couple weeks ago when a member was leaving on the Rhyndam:

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM
Admiral

San Diego is a beautiful port to sail from The city is great, views as you sail away of the harbor, military ships, the city skyline, passing under the bridge etc are all great. A pre or post stay is a must. Spent 3 days there at the end of our Alaska cruise in 2004. Can't wait to get back in August 2005 (family visit for my granddaughter's karate tournament). So much to see and do.
Harry wrote a great article a while back that I'm sure someone more technically oriented than I can post a link to.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Admiral

I agree totally and the big plus is the $7 cab ride between the airport and the cruise terminal. Talk about convenient! On our recent Oosterdam cruise we had a morning flight from Portland and were on board the ship by 11:00 A.M. Now that's got to be some kind of a record.

P.S. Happy Ho;idays Harry!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:50 AM
Admiral

Have never sailed out of San Diego, but will find out on January 2!

Fly into San Diego on the 1st, staying at the Sheraton and boarding the Mercury on the 2nd!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi:

We're going on the Dawn Princess out of San Francisco next week for a New Years Eve cruise, and San Diego is a port of call on our way back. My DH was there when he was in the Navy many years ago, and I've only been there for one day quite a few years ago, when we had a stop on our Radiance of the Seas cruise. I must say, it is one place I would definitely like to live. We're at the age where retirement isn't too far away and my DH and myself, we're really tired of the snow in the midwest. I hear it is very expensive to live there and to find a nice place to live when you're not a millionaire. I would love to move to San Diego, if it were at all possible. Our one day in San Diego this time, we're going Sea World. I hope we have time also to see some ships at the port. My husband was in the Navy and he likes to look at the Navy ships, but I don't know if we'll have enough time.

The only thing I feel really bad about when I cruise, is leaving Buddy (who looks exactly like Andy); and then I have Rascal, who looks like Benji. I miss my two dogs so much, it's really hard for me to leave them home. I tried a kennel only once and found out later they did not get the care that I was told they would get; so now, I leave them home and my grown son and daughter take care of them.

Happy Cruising.....Buddy
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I agree. San Diego is a perfect spot to cruise from. Just returned from the Spirit. Port a little small but it was pretty easy to get around. Even if you have just a few hours between cruise ending and flights there are quick things to do and see. Airport is easy and cheep to get to and hotels around the waterfront are very helpful. Even a Rite Aid a couple blocks from the pier to pick up last minute items. I bought some D. Pepsi for the trip and a couple bottles of wine... which I put in my carry on and no one even asked about. Its nice you can bring wine on board these days.
I wish there were more cruises from San Diego!!!!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Thanks Chuck for the definitive cost of the taxi ... I get asked that question a lot.

And so happy everyone else agrees about SD as a port.

:-)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!