Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Captain

Default teacher gifts

Hi,
I just posted this in the gripes area by mistake. Deleted it right away. Thats what happens before my coffee.

My DH just left for his last day of teaching until after New Years. He brings home goodies from the kids. Do any of you send a teacher gift and what do you send? DH has gotten banana breads, gift certificates and of course cookies and candies. I look forward to it every year. He lets me open them with him. Just wanted to let you know that the whole family of the teacher enjoys.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Admiral

I always used to send gifts until the kids got into High School. The teachers there always ask the students to give to the needy families instead. Each year the High School students are responsible for bringing Christmas to several area families. They bring in food and toys and clothes (all new, either bought with money they have donated, or donated by area businesses). The kids really get into it and it brings a nice community feeling to the school - the teachers and students working together for a good cause.

I used to work at school, in the Office. We often got overlooked by the students, but a few of them always included the office staff. I still use many of the lovely decorations/ornaments the children brought in. I used to get lovely baked goods, plants. The teachers were always very generous to us in the office. I especially miss the rum balls and rum cakes that one teacher used to make. They were delish. Maybe I will go visit at school today (last day in session), just to get some samples!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Funny you should mention this topic - I am right in the middle of the week where we teachers are receiving lots of gifts, and unfortunately, most of mine are unusable because they are all scented things, and I am allergic! Parents love to give teachers lovely gift-wrapped soaps, bath oil, perfumes, hand lotion, etc. but I cannot use the stuff. I have recently begun donating all this stuff to a homeless shelter for street kids. They often need toiletries for showers, and for when they get established in their own apartments.
On the other hand, I have received some very nice gifts too. Chocolate tops my list, as do homemade baking and homemade ornaments, and gift certificates are always welcome! I bought myself some nice treats last year with those!
As for me, I always tried to give my kids' teachers somethig personal, homemade, or thoughtful. I wanted them to know they were truly appreciated.

Funny story. Yesterday I recieved a beautiful calendar from a little boy. Hid mother told me that she picked it, because when she asked him, he told her to buy me a shovel!

donna
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Admiral

I always remembered the kids teachers. High school, not so much because there are so many. This year we gave cards with a lotto ticket in it. Sounds cheap but together my kids have 12 teachers. When they were younger we did a lot more. I was usually the one that got a few parents together and did a gift cert. like a nice dinner and movies.

Have fun Karen with all the gifts today.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Captain

When my tree fell over, I lost some beautiful glass ornaments from the students. Andy averages about 8 presents and many are small gift bags with an assortment of chocolates and home made cookies. I tend to not buy sweets (eat them up like no tomorrow) so I wait like a vulture for the "yum yum" bags. Hubby doesn't eat sweets.

Oh well, I am home cleaning so his return with the goodies is one of the small pleasures in life for me.
I think when I was in school we used to bring food for needy families.

Can you tell I am stalling from doing my cleaning?

Karen