Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Default A TRIUMPHant Cruise, Part 10

Part 10
Day 6, Thurs. Dec. 8 At Sea

The sad thing about leaving St. Maarten was knowing that we were now on our way home. However, we were going to take advantage of every minute of the next two sea days, so this Thursday morning we were out on deck before 9 a.m. With the exception of Trivia at 10 a.m. (I didn't win again ), we spent the entire day on the aft upper deck, soaking up the 81 degree sun, reading, listening to music, and sipping a drink of the day. In addition to toasting CruiseMates, I also had to toast my co-workers back home, and posed with our staff photo in front of the ship's wake, so they could spend a day "at sea" too!

Sometime late in the afternoon, Tyler found us in the hot tub and told me I had to come down to security with him. My first reaction of course was, "What did you do?!!"
It seems there had been an incident earlier, as well as the night before, in which Tyler was a witness. Apparently 2 youths had punched his friend for accidentally bumping into him in the promenade. Following this, there was increased intimidation and verbal abuse, as well as threats with a corkscrew. The 2 youths in question also stole Tyler's friend's younger brother's room card (sign & sail card) right off the lanyard around his neck! The boy's parents, brother, and Tyler were in the security office filing a complaint against these youths, as the younger boy (13) was afraid to go back out alone for fear of being attacked with a corkscrew. Tyler, having been a witness, gave names and descriptions, and in turn, security gave all of us numbers to call in case of further incident. Not a very pleasant incident to have to deal with, but security took it very seriously, and as far as I know, there were no further incidents.

After this little intermission, we got ourselves ready for the second formal night. I wanted another formal portrait taken, but as with everything on the Triumph, the lines were too long, and I didn't get one. Instead, at dinner, we took our own, one of us toasting CruiseMates once again, and one of Tyler, looking so good all spiffed up!

Formal Night dinner again was a dud. It took almost 10 minutes for our waiter to even notice we had arrived and had been seated. Attendance around us was poor; there were alot of empty tables, and even so, service was poor and slow. I hate to nit-pick, but I was missing cutlery and a napkin, and had to take it from the 4th unoccupied place at our table, instead of the waiter adjusting the oversight. The dinner menu was essentially the same as earlier in the week, and not much appealing choice for myself.
Tyler chose Prime Rib again, and it was good, but my Penne Pasta was drowning in zuccini, and James' jumbo shrimp were not very good. When we asked for the dessert menu, our waiter seemed reluctant, and he told us there would be Baked Alaska served soon (when everyone else was finished). We assured him we didn't want Baked Alaska, nor did we want to wait, so he resignedly took our orders for Amaretto cake and a bowl of orange sherbet. When it arrived, the cake was not only stale, but of an incredible rubbery consistency, and didn't taste anything like Amaretto. Disgusted, we got up and left, vowing not to return to the dining room again. We had had better food and service in the Lido buffet!

Talk about going from one extreme to the other. After our dining fiasco, we attended the second big production show in the Rome Lounge, entitled "Century Cafe", an extravagent, colourful, musical romp through the decades of our century, featuring gorgeous costumes, sets, and amazingly talented dancers and singers. This visually stunning, and most entertaining production more than made up for our disappointing dinner!
Following the show, we decided to try and stay up for the Gala Buffet, that was feautured in the South Beach Restaurant. The 11:15 photo-taking session was so crowded, we didn't bother to line up, but managed to take some pictures from a distance.

At 12:15, we lined up in a l-o-n-g line to sample the buffet. Unfortunately, the ship had been rocking steadily all evening and was getting worse, making it more and more difficult to stand upright in line without holding onto a wall or railing for support. About 45 minutes into our 1 hour wait in line, I started to feel nauseous, despite having taken a Gravol about a half hour before! By the time we finally reached the food, most of which was way too exotic, spicy, unappealing or unidentifiable for me to sample, I was feeling quite ill, and although we had chosen a few items to sample (mostly desserts), I couldn't stomach even looking at it by then! Instead, we left our food, and returned to the cabin, rolling from side to side all the down the hallway, where I took another Gravol and thankfully, fell asleep.

to be continued....

donna
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Wow, Donna! I can't believe that you had such bad wait service in the dining room. Did you ever go and talk to the maitre'd and tell him about it? If you said in a previous installment that you did, I'm sorry, but I forgot. But, I'm glad you found the Lido buffet a good substitute!
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

RD:
Your dining room experience on this cruise is the pits !
I can almost guarantee you that you will be pleasantly surprised on the Century next year. I was very much impressed with the food quality, presentation, and service on my Celebrity cruise this past April.

Regards,
Ben
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Passenger

RD
Thanks very much for the story, it's been very interesting. I do hope, however, that our experience on the Triumph (leaving in 4 days) is a much better one. Your trip sounded awful, it sounded like you didn't have fun, or enjoy it at all. It would make me never want to go, if I hadn't already booked and paid.
I hope New Years cruise is much better.
Good luck with your future cruises.
Old December 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

PhilandMike, I hope I didn't give you the impression that the whole cruise was bad! It really was only lacklustre dining room service and not-so-great food, and I'm sure that could vary depending on your dining room, your seating arrangements and your waiters. As for the rest of the cruise, the ship was nice and clean, the service was good everywhere, especially our room steward, and we thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing sea days and 2 shore excursions. Oh, and top-notch theatre entertainment - don't miss the 2 big shows or the New Age Magic show!
Bon Voyage, and let me know what you thought when you get back!

donna