CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Can you believe it? ANOTHER Tropical Storm!!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/305913-can-you-believe-another-tropical-storm.html)

Lisa December 30th, 2005 02:39 PM

Can you believe it? ANOTHER Tropical Storm!!!!

I'm not kidding! Just found this on the NHC website!

Tropical Storm ZETA Public Advisory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Strike Probs Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTNT35 KNHC 301710
TCPAT5
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM ZETA SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1 PM AST FRI DEC 30 2005

...LATE SEASON TROPICAL STORM...THE 27TH OF THE YEAR...FORMS IN THE
EASTERN ATLANTIC...

AT 1 PM AST...1700Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ZETA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 25.0 NORTH... LONGITUDE 36.9 WEST OR ABOUT 1070
MILES...1720 KM... SOUTHWEST OF THE AZORES.

ZETA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH ...13 KM/HR. A TURN
TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH... 85 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. ALTHOUGH SOME STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE LATER TODAY...A
WEAKENING TREND IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TOMORROW.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES
...140 KM FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 1 PM AST POSITION...25.0 N... 36.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 50 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 5 PM AST.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Mike M December 30th, 2005 02:40 PM

Will we make Omega :?: :?: :?: :?:

Take care,
Mike

Jim Bragg December 30th, 2005 03:09 PM

I wounder when they will start counting them against 2006? Will it be Jan 1st or do they wait until the 'official' start of the season in June? While this is of course very unusual and rare, it is not a first. There have been tropical storms/hurricanes in every month of the year I read somewhere. This has certainly been a historic year as this is #27 that reached enough strenght to be named and that has never happened before that we know of. Will be interesting to see how next year turns out. I think they need to use every letter and have a second list of names to follow just in case. Maybe they can cvall the second ones "Jr." or something. <G>
Jim

Lynne&Trevor December 30th, 2005 04:24 PM

We have friends leaving Port Everglades on the Sea Princess this coming Sunday, for the Southern Caribbean. Since a weakening trend is predicted, I imagine that they won't have too many worries about this one. Zeta. Well, the next one can be Katherine, and the one after, Jones, and we'll have a star quality storm!!
Lynne

Jst1jst January 9th, 2006 01:26 AM

Another Tropical Storm LOL!!!

I can really believe it. In fact I predicted it! May have even caused it!LOL

We sailed in October 2004 - Port Canaveral, FL to Bahamas - for weeks prior to sailing one hurricane after another hit Florida - we were first ship to arrive in Freeport in about 8 weeks. But we made it!

We sailed in April 2005 - Embarkation day - Huge record setting thunderstorm and flooding in Mobile - 80 MPH winds and huge seas - waves from pool over the top of the sliding board!!! But we made it!

We sailed in August, 2005 - Left New Orleans one day before Katrina hit. Lost our car there! Missed ports of call to skirt storm! Emergency at home - had to leave ship at Cozumel to fly home - no flights to Mobile - flew to Houston - no flights to Mobile - flew to Atlanta - no flights to Mobile!
Rented a car and drove home to Mobile. But we made it!

We sailed from Galveston October 2005 - Missed Grand Caymans, Montego Bay due to Hurricane Wilma. Could not spend night before in Lake Charles due to Hurricane Wilma. Made it to Cozumel (again for the 4th time). But we made it!

Decided not to sail during hurricane season.

Booked the Conquest again from Galveston for January 22. Predicted to friends and family the first Hurricane to hit the Carribean in late January and/or Tsunami! One day after we booked this cruise the headlines proclaimed "RARE TROPICAL STORM FORMING IN ATLANTIC. Oh well, here we go again. Just hope our continued cruising doesn't put the Carribean and the cruise lines out of business. But we will make it!

We will never get anyone to book a cruise with us again!
LOL.

venice January 9th, 2006 08:03 AM

Jst1jst....do you have a fetish about cruising during a tropical storm ? (VBG)...with your track record, I for one will be sure to check with you just prior to booking my next cruise no matter what time of year it it (VBG)

Jst1jst January 9th, 2006 05:03 PM

tropical storm fetish

Venice
I guess you can just say I am like the guy in the funny papers with a black cloud over my head sometimes LOL.

Buy I absolutely love cruising. We waited for 35 years of marriage before our first cruise and fell in love with it.

I usually don't schedule more than 3 months in advance, because I drive everyone crazy counting the days. That's why I love this website. It is full of cruise lovers just like me.

Happy Cruisin