Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Default Taking an infant? Please read!

I've posted this in the Gripes board, Infants on Cruises, but thougt it should be posted here, too!

We just got home from our cruise and I'm too tired to post much, but this needs to be reported.

We were on a tender waiting to go back on the ship. We were about the sixth people in line. The gangway was very short, only about 4 feet from the tender to the ship with two feet or less between the two. It was one person wide. There were handrails, but the area between them and the gangway was open.

A father had a baby in a stroller. He took the front end and one of NCL's employee's took the back. About halfway across the stroller tipped to one side and the baby (about 3 or 4 months old) fell out, just inches from the edge of the gangway. If the baby had rolled just a couple of inches it would have fallen into the ocean between the tender and the ship!

Thankfully, the NCL employee scooped the baby up while the mother who was behind him was screaming "The baby fell out!"

This was one of the most frightening things I've ever seen in my life! I'm sure if the baby had rolled off between the tender and the ship all of the crew members would have gone in after it, but even the smallest crew member probably wouldn't have fit or would have been crushed between the ship and the tender.

Please, oh please, if you are taking a tender either carry your baby or make absolutely sure that it is firmly strapped into the stroller.

I would hate to see this happen to anyone else.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002
Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004
NCL Sun 2005

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

YIKES! How terrifying for the parents, but how STUPID as well! I hope your post will alert parents so this will never happen again!

donna
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am cringing as I am reading this..How horriffic for everyone..A lesson learned for those parents, sadly...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Please, oh please, if you are taking a tender either carry your baby or make absolutely sure that it is firmly strapped into the stroller.
Actually carrying the baby could present a problem as well. As there's motion when climbing on or off a tender, it could cause the adult to drop the baby they're carrying.

If carrying a baby on or off a tender they really should be in a front loading baby harness, strapped to their parents chest.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Doesn't the crew have "procedure" for things like this? It sounds like they kinda winged it.... and found out the kid didn't have wings. An angel, maybe, but no wings.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Doesn't the crew have "procedure" for things like this?
Think it's important to place responsibility where it belongs.. THE PARENTS.

Parents should have the "procedures" in place for the safety of their children. Funny when some parents will make sure their jewelry and money is more secure than their children.
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM
Admiral

OMG.......that gives me chills!!! How terrifying! I can't believe they didn't strap the child in!!!

Kuki.......you are exactly right! It's the PARENTS who are idiots! And the idea of the harness is right on target.
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Admiral

It was the fault of the parents for not making sure that the baby was securly strapped in the stroller instead of just sitting in it. Of course the crew would have been blamed has it turned out tragic. Parents, make sure your kids are safely trapped in or carried in a baby carrier. I think that is what Fern meant BTW as we have talked about this.
Jim
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Once Again...... I would think the crew, since they embark and debark thousands of people a year, would have a very secure way of dealing with such a situation.

Me, as a parent, and never having debarked my kid from a rolling tender, would ASK THE CREW what is the SAFEST way to go about doing this (before actually getting into the situation), and ultimately before doing it. These guys clearly just winged it.

Kuki & Fern> Do you know for certain that the guy didn't ask the crew's advice before doing this? Sometimes things seem ill-advised to the novice when actually they are the best option to the crew, who do this sort of thing daily. We have to trust people sometimes. In this case, bad crew and bad idea.

Parents fault? Perhaps. Crew's fault... definitely.

Actually, the more I think about this, I believe the child had no place being in a stroller in such a situation. He should have been handed to a crew member, or members, for safe transition. The crew should not have allowed such a boarding to take place under any circumstances.

Old December 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Captain

thats territying i hope the parents learn something from this like responsible
Old December 31st, 2005, 05:57 PM
Admiral

CC..
It's easy to lay the responsibility for just about every situation at the feet of someone else. No one is responsible for their own actions anymore!

Seems we've turned into such a brainless society we need to be told everything, and warned about every eventuallity or we sue "those responsible".

Here's a list of ACTUAL warning labels that have come about as a result of our "I didn't know" society.
Funny... but SAD, because it actually costs money to put this stuff on, and those costs are passed on to us.

-A flushable toilet brush that warns users, “Do not use for personal hygiene?
-A label on a popular scooter for children that warns: “This product moves when used.?
-A label on a baby stroller warns: “Remove child before folding
-A label on digital thermometer that can be used to take a person’s temperature several different ways: “Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally.?
-A brass fishing lure with a three-pronged hook on the end warns: “Harmful if swallowed
-A household iron warns users: “Never iron clothes while they are being worn?
-A label on a hair dryer reads, “Never use hair dryer while sleeping?
-A warning on an electric drill made for carpenters cautions: “This product not intended for use as a dental drill.?
-The label on a bottle of drain cleaner warns: “If you do not understand, or cannot read, all directions, cautions and warnings, do not use this product.?
-A smoke detector warns: “Do not use the Silence Feature in emergency situations. It will not extinguish a fire.?
-A massage chair warns: “DO NOT use massage chair without clothing... and, Never force any body part into the backrest area while the rollers are moving.?
-A cardboard car sunshield that keeps sun off the dashboard warns, “Do not drive with sunshield in place?
-An “Aim-n-Flame? fireplace lighter cautions, “Do not use near fire, flame or sparks?
-A label on a hand-held massager advises consumers not to use “while sleeping or unconscious?
-A 12-inch rack for storing compact disks warns: “Do not use as a ladder.?
-A cartridge for a laser printer warns, “Do not eat toner?
-A 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow warns: “Not intended for highway use?
-A can of self-defense pepper spray warns users: “May irritate eyes?
-A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists says: “Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.?
-A snowblower warns: “Do not use snowthrower on roof.?
-A dishwasher carries this warning: “Do not allow children to play in the dishwasher.?
-A popular manufactured fireplace log warns: “Caution - Risk of Fire?
-A box of birthday cake candles says: “DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.
-A label on an electric hand blender promoted for use in “blending, whipping, chopping and dicing,? that warns: “Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating.
-A label on a nine- by three-inch bag of air used as packing material. It carries this warning: “Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:32 PM
Admiral

And you have to ask yourself 'WHY' this label is on there? Someone had to try and do these very same things and then complained about it when something bad happened. Here's your sign.
Jim
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Admiral

CC asked:

Quote:
Kuki & Fern> Do you know for certain that the guy didn't ask the crew's advice before doing this? Sometimes things seem ill-advised to the novice when actually they are the best option to the crew, who do this sort of thing daily. We have to trust people sometimes. In this case, bad crew and bad idea.
No, I don't know that the father asked the crew's advice about carrying the baby in the stroller. I presume that it was carried onto the tender in the same way. (We were getting back onto the ship.) There was also a lot of "stuff" in the stroller with the baby (packages, baby things, etc.) which also fell out. Maybe the crew member couldn't tell if the baby was strapped in? He certainly should have checked, but with people pushing and shoving to get back onboard (why the big hurry, I've never understood!) he just didn't look.

I'd guess the crew have done this hundreds if not thousands of times before. This just happened to be a time something bad happened.

And yes, as Jim said, I did mean the baby should have been carried by a parent in a baby sling.

Sea Princess 2014
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It's easy to lay the responsibility for just about every situation at the feet of someone else. No one is responsible for their own actions anymore!
Kuki> You mean we parents should all become experts in boarding ships from a rocking tender with kids in a stroller? What a neat skill to learn. Where do I sign up? Where is that course offered?
and point #2- Whose fault would it have been if the whole stroller had gone off the side??? The parent for just being there? Or the so-called expert seamen? (I guess there's a microscopic disclaimer in the cruise contract absolving the cruise line of any responsibility, in any case) As soon as that crewman put his hands on the stroller, he no longer became a bystander.

Fern> Thanks for the reply. It clears things up a bit. Daddy should have ensured that his little one was buckled, even though it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Old January 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Kuki> You mean we parents should all become experts in boarding ships from a rocking tender with kids in a stroller? What a neat skill to learn. Where do I sign up? Where is that course offered?
Part of the problem is not many parents taking ANY parenting classes, even those that are offered.... and the kids don't come with owner's manuals.

My point has been that parents utilizing good sense wouldn't have their child in ANY stroller. The baby should have been carried on in a body carrier, and the stroller brought onboard seperately.

Should the crew have had a better "eye" on the situation? U BET! But people need to rely on their own good sense, especially when it comes to their kids.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Admiral

If the parents had good sense, they wouldn't have even taken a child that young on a cruise. The child will never remember it, and the parents would enjoy it a lot more without needing to to care of a baby.

We would never have taken our children on a cruise when thy were infants, but I guess things have changed a lot since then.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

CC,

You don't have to take parenting classes, just use common sense! If my post keeps this from happening again, I'll be happy.

It would scare me to take an infant, even in a sling, onto or off of a tender, but it's going to happen. (I have a hard enough time getting myself and my "stuff" across!)

Quote:
(I guess there's a microscopic disclaimer in the cruise contract absolving the cruise line of any responsibility, in any case)
You can bet there is!

PaulB,

While I happen to agree with you ( ), people are still going to take infants on cruises. We saw quite a few on our last cruise. Once again, as Kuki said, common sense should prevail!

Personally, I don't get it either. Why not leave the baby with "Grandma" or another sitter? The only thing I can think of is the "guilt" since parents don't spend as much time with their children as they used to.

Oh, my! I've apparently turned into my dear Mother!

Sea Princess 2014
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Admiral

how terrible! I totally agree that the baby should have been in a baby backpack or front carrier. I would almost make a wager that we will see a new rule - strollers must be folded and infant must be carried on and off the tender.