Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

you had me until this line..

He never pretended to be someone he wasn't.

Sorry! I will let it go now! Dot
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Admiral

BW, I don't know. I think DC just thinks that the New Years thing is almost his right and duty. I just do not know how much ego fits in to it, maybe not any. I just don't really know. If this was the goal that DC was going for and that is why he has recovered so well, then more power to him and I am glad. I have a differant feeling towards Reeves who I felt played the pity card on occasions. Not saying he really did, it was just my perception.
Jim
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Remember the saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes before commenting on someone else's actions?

I certainly hope this never happens to anyone on here, but you certainly might feel differently if you or someone you love suffers a stroke. It would be the greatest thing in the world for them to go back to doing things they did previously. And personally, I think a lot of people were happen to see Dick back.

But then again, some people don't want to see the unpleasantness in life, and that certainly is your choice.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Admiral

right on Jean !!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I edited what offended Dot. Sorry Dot.

My perception of Christopher Reeves was that he did what he could to help find a cure and I admire him for that. I never saw the pity card and I saw many interviews.

Different people, different perception I guess.

Bill
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM
First Mate

Bill that was so sweet of you to be concerned! We can agree to disagree! If I got upset every time someone disagreed with me,Id stay upset! Wouldnt we all?? Especially on a computer.You know its hard to know how someone meant something when we are only able to read their type! I know Im a real kidder,but I have to be careful and remember that "these" ppl dont know me! They dont know that half the time Im kidding when I say something that sounds like Im being a smart mouth!

But I appreciate your concern,but dont give it another thought! Thanks for your email too! Dot
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Admiral

Christopher Reeve was also ushered to the "front of the line" for every treatment that became available, while others waited. This I cannot condone, even if he was a medical poster boy.

It is Dick Clark's show.... dare I say his only and last show. I'm sure he'd be there if he had to pull himself there by his fingernails.... If he offends your sensibilities then click to another station. I say way to go DC. I don't give a flying frack if it IS sad. I could be in the same boat tomorrow, and he sure gave it his best shot.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

"A FLYING FRACK"

Never heard that expression. I searched my Webster and nothing on FRACK. Maybe a word used in the big city that hasn't reached the boon docks yet, I ask myself?

Certainly not a common expression used in Atlantic Canada.

I went on Google to start a search and typed in: "FLYING FRACK". I eventually got http://www.imao.us/archives/004486.html which led me to: "What the frick-n-frack was that?"

Seems the writer was talking about a UFO. Interesting choice of word.

I guess we learn something new everyday.

Bill
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

BW, That was a good one. ... Needed a good laugh today. Such a diplomat you are.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
First Mate

Ive heard that expression,but I never knew where it came from..but..I knew exactly what she meant! Dot
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I've been off the board all week so I've missed most of this continuing discussion. My last word on the subject is that I compare Dick Clark to Kirk Douglas in a way. Both of them are in the entertainment business and have suffered strokes. Kirk is an actor and struggled back to speak, as an actor recovering from a stroke at one of the Awards Shows. He was applauded for his effort, and has gone on to do some movies since--his profession. Dick Clark is in the Music and TV industry, suffered a stroke and then came back and appeared on the show that he developed in his field. Both of these fellows have come back to professions that they already have.
Now, if it turns out that Dick Clark can't make a complete recovery for his on screen performances and backstage conversations, I would venture a guess that he will continue to produce and promote the programs in which he has a vested interest, and groom a protege. Ryan Seacrest???

I did see some replays of the end of the New Year's Eve program and Dick Clark did get a kiss from his blonde wife, something that has happened every year, from what I gathered.

I really enjoyed Christopher Reeve, as well. He was on my Top 10 list of people I'd like to meet-since -Superman 1-but more after "Somewhere in Time". I was pulling for him, too. He still acted,directed, appeared on TV shows and wrote a book or two after his injury, so he stayed in his profession along with promoting spinal injury research. And, perhaps that was his greatest role of all.
Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Well said Lynne!

I like your post. At the time, I didn't quite see it as you do but, after reading your post, it made more sense than mine.

Thanks,

Bill
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

As I learned as an alter boy in the catholic church

"flying frack" is Latin for "not enough money in the collection plate (VBG)
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Thanks, BW. I really felt as if I wanted to express my view in that framework.
Venice-I was brought up Anglican and have had Episcopalian exposure for several years since, so I "get your drift" about the collection plate! Not too far off from the Catholic influence! Lynne

Ruby Princess