Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Default Did you see Dick Clark last night?

I was watching the countdown in Times Square and couldn't believe the condition of Dick Clark. He sounded drunk, which I thought he was until Mrs. Thomas informed me he had a stroke. Still, it was pretty pitiful to put him on a global broadcast like that. He couldn't even do the countdown correctly.

Now, I plan on appearing that way shortly. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Admiral

My wife and I watched. It was pretty depressing really. The reports of his complete recovery were highly exagerated. The "host" or our generation is no longer the oldest teenager among us.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Admiral

I have to admit I was saddened to see Dick Clark's condition, but you have to give the man credit for making a herculean effort to do his job. I have alot more respect for him than I do for Mariah Carey who was doing her best to fall out of her dress and stick her tongue down Ryan Seacrest's throat on national tv!

donna
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It was sad, but we must remember that he was in such bad shape, they were not sure he would live. He has come a long way and i am so proud of him. He, to me is still the oldest teenager. But, now he represents another group as well. He is an example of those who have been very sick and can come back. He said he was not perfect, but had worked hard to be where he is. God has blessed you Dick Clark, you go boy!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Yes it was a shock, but in the end I have nothing but admiration for the man.

Trust me, after the Janet Jackson Superbowl incident the network made sure that Mariah was so securly glued into that somewhat of a dress that Hurricane Katrina could not have ripped it off of her.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

After hosting New Years Rockin Eve for over 30 years and suffering such a severe stroke, my hat is off to him for working so hard to make a comeback. New Years eve just isn't the same with out Dick Clark and I was glad to see him.
I was also relieved that ABC did not cast him aside just because he was not 100% and honored the fact that he made New Years Rockin Eve a part of Americana and he is just as big a part of New Years Eve as the ball dropping on Time Square.
Happy New Year everyone.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

I never saw him as I was lying in bed but, I did hear him and, after hearing him, I am glad I did not see the greatest teenager on earth. I am like you DOUG...I have nothing but admiration for him and have always respected the man. Go Mr Clark. !!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Admiral

not to show you how old I am, but during the 50's I was really more of an Alan Freed & Murray the K and Cousin Brucie fan then Dick Clark

ABC probably knows that Dick's on his last leg and wanted to honor him, but I suspect it was more about the ratings war (they got you to watch didn't they ?)..I actually saw Mariah Carey in St Barts and trust me she is not what I would call sexy at all...guess I always remember what my Dad taught me..."sexy is what the woman does not show you but leaves to your imigination"

I don't think we will see Dick Clark for next new year's eve..hopefully he will retire and be in bed by 0730 pm
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

It made me really sad and also reminded me that my parents are close to the same age and that they could be facing the same type of medical problems. I just hope if they ever do that they can be as courageous as Dick Clark. God Bless you Dick Clark and the best of health in 2006.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Dick did sound very bad and if you know any stroke victims you can immediately tell that he was one of them. We watched and never did actually see DC. Admittedly we flashed back an forth to FOX because my buddy Arron Tippin was performing. I had to laugh as we are getting so old. When Tip and I were running around he had dark brown hair that fell to almost his waist and a long scraggly beard and was fairly thin. I guess so was I except for the long hair and beard. Now we are both old and grayheaded.
Anyway, did anyone actually 'see' Dick Clark? We only saw the back of a head that looked like DC ar the stroke of midnight kissing his wife. I am starting to wonder if that was a stand-in for him. DC is pretty vain and I am sure he is upset at his condition. I am glad that they honored him in this manner but I am afraid that DC is now gone from the New Years celebration scene. So sad.
Jim
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

He looked fine and you could really only tell about the stoke when he spoke. The times that they showed him were very short. He also did his tradedmark salute with his left hand instead of his right.
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Passenger

There were several reports in the NY papers that he flew in several days ago and was using a walker- wheelchair and his hair was totally white.
ABC did get him looking pretty good before going on the air. He came on the air at 11:36, just as advertised. That was shock to see him and hear him. I was very sad to see having trouble sitting straight up and by having a stoke he did fairly well on his speech. He has alot of rehab. I am sure he had rehearsed his lines a ton of times.
Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I thought it was great that he was there and did the countdown. I think almost everyone who has watched the ABC countdown knows that he did not do it last year because of the stroke and as soon as you heard him you knew that he had one.

He sounded like many stroke survivors in that his timing was a bit off but his mental faculties are probably fine but speech and motor skills are still heavily affected. I have seen first hand the long road it is to recover mobility, speech and function from a stroke. My mother had a severe stroke and lived with us for five years and through physical rehabilitation and a lot of work by my wife she was able to function at an almost normal level.

I applaud Dick Clark for going on with the show and national television and ABC for allowing him to do so.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Admiral

My wife taped the show and we saw Dick Clark when he first came on. My teen years were in the 50's and yes that makes me old. I enjoyed seeing him healthy and in his prime.

Yes, he did show courage for coming out last night. Having said that, I'm reminded of a sport figure, way past his prime, who makes a spectacle of himself thinking he can still compete. I would rather remember a vibrant Dick Clark.

I'm inclined to be with Venice on this one, I also believe TV ratings had something to do with Dick Clark on TV last night.

There is a time for everything and now is not the time for DC to make a comeback.

My comments are not meant to start an arguement just my humble opinion.

Bill
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yeoman

I am from the American Bandstand generation and I would have loved being on that show. We have always looked at Dick Clark through the years and said that's just not possible (forever young). Last night he pulled off quite a feat after suffering such a debilitating stroke. It's a long road back, but he performed admirably. Hats off to this icon of the 50's generation. God bless, Happy New Year to all.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old January 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM
Admiral

don't forget, DC owns a piece of the New Years eve show, so I'm sure he was looking at his bills from his stroke when he was thinking about his comeback for one night
Old January 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

I am also of the American Bandstand generation and have watched him both in front of, and behind the scenes ever since. Many years ago I put him about first on my list of people I'd like to visit me in the hospital if I got that wish. He has always reminded me of my dad in Toronto. Both have hadstrokes now but have fought back.
I did see Dick Clark at least once last night between 11:40 and 11:50PM. I remarked to Trevor that his hair was still brown. His speech reminded me of that of Kirk Douglas when he was on stage for the Oscars after his stroke. Both have worked very hard to rehab and remain in society. And, at the end, when they were commenting on the crowd, a sound of the "old" Dick Clark did come through. Although his speech was a bit thick, his personality and almost speech rhythm were evident. Inside, he was still with us!

At this point, I don't want to think about ratings and ownerships. I was just so glad to see him on HIS show last night. With the stroke, he is now more "human" and can come down from the pedestal many put him on.
I believe he is a great person and has done much to promote the music industry. I guess he's one of my American Idols.

Lynne (Ryan Seacrest and Mariah Carey had a smooch at the end of the show. Perhaps that's what one of you saw. But, I did see Dick who had a blonde next to him who kissed him, but then it switched to Ryan and Mariah who had theirs. I must admit I did do a doubletake to see what I thought I was seeing. I didn't think Mariah dressed in good taste).

Ruby Princess
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
don't forget, DC owns a piece of the New Years eve show, so I'm sure he was looking at his bills from his stroke when he was thinking about his comeback for one night
Please, I think DC has enough money at this point that one appearance is not going to make a difference.

His choice. His decision. His life now. Sad to see because of the reality of it, but when life throws you a curve, you gotta just go with it. Good for him.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM
Admiral

or maybe he wanted to script his last New Year's eve show the way he wanted it as opposed to not coming back due to the stroke
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Also, I think what Dick Clark will aways be most remember for was using the platform on AB to promote intergration in TV during the 1950's..He took alot of heat from the network and sponsors for having teenagers of all races dance on his local (Philadelphia) show that went network and was not aired in a lot of local affilates in the south which cost him big bucks
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Well, I admire Dick Clark immensely for appearing on the show. I imagine that he must have been a bit nervous about his appearance and his speech, so to appear on this show was great!!! We should all be so brave and have such great support. His mind is not affected, just his body has it's limitations.

Reminds me of a reporter who was in a terrible car accident and was paralyzed from the neck down. He ended up being a helicopter traffic reporter for a local news station. Now THAT is making the best of a bad situation!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Rollerdonna> In a recent candid interview, Shania Twain said she is getting tired of playing the "Shania Character" whenever the cameras are on. I guess Mariah is not, just yet. Remember, just like on Survivor, these people are oh-so-aware that the cameras are rolling. There are "meetings" with publicists and agents before EVERY appearance.

Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" my big fat a@@.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Yeoman

Now, now, cruise cynic, any way you cut it Mariah Carey is very talented with a great voice and a great chest. So she was preening...a little. Mariah, Celine Dion, Carly Simon; those gals can sing. So many others couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Cruisinforever> tru dat. However, I'll bet my butt that Mariah is nowhere near as stupid or vacuous as the "persona" she shows us common folk.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Admiral

cruise cynic...I bet you are right about Mariah.I think she was burned pretty badly career wise a few years ago and she has learned to look out for herself and manage her image to what she wants..sort of like Brittany's career (VBG)
Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I will also have to give DC credit. But I have to wonder if it was selfish of me to want to see him do the show. Secrest is okay for AI, but Times Square?!!!! It had to have been a tremendous strain for Mr. Clark. Rehabilitation from a stroke that massive is a full time job. But I think he has shown that he is stronger than most of us, and probably stronger than most teenagers I know.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Im totally amazed at the people that think Dick Clark should NOT have appeard on the New Years Eve show last night!! I grew up with DC on American Bandstand,and once his time with that was over,he moved on to hosting the NYE show in NYC.This was HIS gig!! I applaud him for doing it.It made me sad,but it also made me very proud for him that he worked so hard to get where he is after his stroke. I could not believe all the programs today asking should he or shouldnt he have done the show last night.He had every right to do it! I think he just might have given a little bit of hope to the many stroke victims in this world! Way to go Dick!! Dot
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Admiral

DalTX:

One of nice thing about this board is that we can expressed our various opinions. In my opinion, Dick Clark made his living as an entertainer and a good one at that. He looked nothing like what he could do in his prime. I, for one, would rather remember for what made him famous.

If you enjoyed seeing him on New Year's Eve, I say good for you and I'm happy to hear he made someone happy.

I, on the other hand, saw this like an aging former heavyweight boxing champion who want to cash in on his former fame. Whether this is what happen or not, I certainly am not in a position to say. However, it's what I perceived it to be and as CruiseMate member, I'm allowed to expressed my opinion.

On this board, we can "Agree to disagree" without any bad feelings.

Bill
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Actually,I should have been more clear..I was referring to all of the polls on tv about should he or shouldnt he...but,to each his own opinion either way.I will say this..I NEVER heard negative things when Christopher Reeves made all of his tv appearances,now that was sad! This is LIFE,and sometimes we are dealt blows.For me,its how you handle those blows! Thus,I think DC showed great courage and hope to other stroke victims.I would probably be still having my pity party!

But,by all means,I didnt mean to slam anyone here ...just voicing my disbelief that anyone would feel he made a mistake! Sorry if I upset you! Dot
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Dot:

You didn't upset me, I voiced an opinion and you voiced yours. Hopefully we can "agree to disagree" without up-setting anyone.

Dick Clark appeared in prime time and didn't give a prime time performance.

I saw Christopher Reeves being interviewed several times. I cannot recall Christopher Reeves try to play the role of superman after his terrible accident. The interviews were concerning his life after the accident.

I would certainly enjoy seeing Dick Clark interviewed by Barbara Walters, Larry King or any other interviewer of that status and talk about his life after a stroke. Seeing him on primed time trying to do what he used to do on prime time didn't seem right to me.

I completely agree with you that we're all dealt blows in life and it's how we handle those blows that's important. I guess we cannot agree on how
Dick Clark handled his on New Year's Eve.

That you would have an opinion different than mine doesn't upset me at all.

If ever we're on the same cruise, I'd be more than happy to meet you.

Bill