Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Default A shocking and happy ending!

While they found one of the 13 miners dead near the opening of the area of the explosion and nothing had been heard from any of the 12 missing men or any indications of any possibility of anything but death, all 12 were found alive! Everyone had resigned themselves to hear how they were all dead and I don't think anyone thought they had a chance but they are well and there is jubilation in WV tonigh for 12 families!.
Jim
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Passenger

Day Jim,

Good to hear some good news for a change - perhaps it portends a good 2006 - let's hope anyway.

FAB
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Sorry Jim but those reports were wrong . 12 dead and 1 alive is the final and horribly trajic final result. Let us say a whole bunch of prayers for the families and friends of these good working people taken from us all too soon.
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

I was just watching the report on the Today Show. It is very discouraging. I feel so sad for these people. They were lead to believe that 12 were alive, then to have the number switched around must be quite a shock. Plus the anger that they feel knowing all the violations that this mine had. I couldn't help but cry, I just feel so horribly awful for these people.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just heard the sad news on the radio. Bless their hearts.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Yeoman

wow...so upsetting.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Admiral

I really hope they figure out who or how this, "miscommunication" happened and hold that person(s) accountable.

Something tells me that the media, whom is so eagar to be the "first out" with the story has something to do with it. I get so tired of watching the news and they start a story with, "We were the first to report"!

I also think this mining company had not done a good job of supporting and pretecting these families. There is more to this whole story that will come out yet.

Can you say, "Movie of the week"

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

When I woke up this morning I too heard the news that all but one was actually dead and he was in critical condition. Man what a horrible thing to happen to these poor families! I think everyone just knew that they were dead and were just coming to grips with that and then they were told that they were all alive and were so jubulant and just as suddenly it was all snatched away again. I cannot imagine the rollercoster ride of emotions those poor folks were put through. My heart and prayers really go out to them.
Jim
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yeoman

Amen Jim:
Like you I went to bed thinking that there was a good outcome to this tragedy. Our morning paper had headlines that " Twelve Are Saved ".
I then turn on the TV to learn the horrible truth.
I feel like throwing up. It feels like all of the good spirit of the holidays has been blown up in this explosion.
God bless these men and their families.

Regards,
Ben
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yeoman

It is one of those things that the reported was in such a rush, he got the numbers screwed up. That is so....wrong.

My heart goes out to those families.
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Admiral

I just heard that the Mining company knew 20 minutes after the wrong info leaked to the families. They knew wrong info was out there but still sat on the info for three hours before telling the families the real info. WHY? I don't get this!

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Absolutely pathetic. I feel such sorrow for these families and miners.

I now appreciate more the emergency preparedness training we went through at our corporation and the procedures around establishing a command center and establishing one, and only one, spokesperson.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Thomas: Wouldn't you think that they had the same kind of training in these times?

One spokesperson is a great idea!

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Admiral

I grew up in southeastern Ky. My father was a coal miner. I can identify with these people and can understand what they were going through all during the rescue efforts, all the rumors, hopes, etc. I can imagine how they must have felt to get the word that 12 out of 13 were alive-- the joy , relief, etc. But I don't think anyone can understand how it must have felt to have that joy and relief suddenly dashed into a thousand pieces when they were told it was a mistake.

Mining is a dangerous occupation to say the least and there was a fatality or injury from time to time during my dad's career but luckily he was never hurt other than the damage done to his lungs from breathing the rock and coal dust over the years.
My heart really goes out to these people and I wish there was something I could do for them. As I said, I grew up in a coal mining community so I know exactly how it is.

Bless all of them.
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

After the initial false information was spread, and spread so quickly I am certain the officials wanted to make darn sure they knew positively and without any doubt exactly what was going on, the conditions of all individuals, etc. etc. It apparently was not them that announced they were alive, it was a misunderstanding from people in the area that overheard one side of the conversation and like wildfire it grew so quickly into what everyone, including those mine owners, were praying desperately for it took on a life of it's own. Tragic but I do not believe that the 'officials' ever tried to purposely decieve the families. To what end would that be? No, it was simply a horrible misunderstanding
Jim
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Jim, I agree with you completely. The man who relayed the info was on a walkie talkie. My prayers go out to the families, but also to this poor man, who will have to live with this the rest of his life.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link