Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Default Rapist's Prison Sentence Triggers Outrage this is sick stuff

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

"The state recognizes that the court may not agree or subscribe to that method of sentencing but the state does. The state thinks that it is a very important factor for the court to consider," Andreson added.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

The sentence outraged the victim's family who asked not to be identified.

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

Hulett -- who had been out on bail-- was taken away to start his sentence immediately.

****Criminal activity expressed and asked for deleted****
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Cashman should be cashiered!!

The man has to be a total idiot!
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Admiral

That is fine... when the rapist re-enters society after his brief 60 day incarceration I hope that he goes to live with the Judge and his family so he can find out first hand how futile it is to rehablilitate a sex offender. He is probably correct that punishment does nothing to rehab these offenders, but truth is that in most cases there is little hope of rehabilitation regardless of therapy or punishment. It wasn't punishment that corroded these predators souls. I don't think anyone who could do these things to our children even have a soul, and if they do, I could care less what happens to it! This judge should be thrown off the bench!
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Captain

It seems that more and more judges are worried about the criminal and not the victim. I love the ideal of this lowlife moving in with the Judge and his families. I wonder if this so called judge would worry about his wife or daughters, or would he even care. The Judge has got to go.

John 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Poor child got life, and he got 60 days! Sad world we live in.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Admiral

While I firmly believe this is criminal in nature itself and the Judge should be tossed off the bench I did delete part of the original post that advocates committing a criminal act. That is also wrong and will not be allowed here.
Jim
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Admiral

That is so disgusting, I cannot believe it. How can any idiot, let alone a JUDGE, even imagine that such a sick person can even THINK of raping a little girl repeatedly, think that they can be rehabiliated??? Does he think this is normal behavior?? And even *I* know that it is next to impossible for these sick people to stop this type of disgusting behavior!!!!

Judges have WAYYYY too much power! It's ridiculous what they get away with, and there should be some sort of board that overlooks their actions.

I would love to see the Judge's daughter being babysat by this "rehabilated" man....PLUS I wonder he would still have been so lenient in his sentencing if it had been HIS daughter who had been raped repeatedly for so many years...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Welcome to my state. Once again the government here has proved how defective it is. It is a beautiful place to live, but the "powers that be" make it hard to stomach much of the time. Ashamed of my State at the moment,
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

I know in our society today that it seems punishment for crimes has become a run-of-the mill slap on the wrist.
However, sometimes old fashioned justice is served up by people who are fed up with the " system ".

A few days ago at a local inter-state gas station / mini store, there was a fellow who came in to rob the place. There was an elderly lady working the register. The thug was a very large man, described as being around 6'5" or so. He had a gun but reached over and grabbed the old lady by the hair, pulled a handful out and then hit her on the head. What he apparently did not know was that there were three good sized farmers who lunched there regularly and knew this old lady. They laid into him and when they were through, no one had to hold him for the police, as he was still lying on the floor beaten halfway to a pulp when the police got there. It showed his face if you could call it that, on t.v. and the three farmers advised that if there was anyone else out there who wished to rob and beat up this old lady to please feel free to come on down.
Doubtful that they will have any takers. Hats off to the farmers.
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Apparently the full story is that when someone is incarcerated in VT they are not eligable for psyco treatment and this judge thinks this person needed treatment and not punishment so to get at the Dept. of Corrections in Vt made this stupid sentence! The problem is judges attempting to 'legislate from the bench' again. Judges need to enforce the law and not try to remake the laws into what his personal views are. This needs to stop and this judge needs to have an example made of him by removing him from office for cause and also having him lose his State Pension!
Jim
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Admiral

I've always claimed that if you want to rehabilitate criminals make prison so terribly miserable that they will never want to go back. It's amazing how "rational" they will become.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

If they are incarcerated in Vermont then they will never want to be rehabilitated. Prison in Vermont is pretty cushy. Most of the guards are would be prisoners, making it hard for the few guards that are really serious about thier jobs. I have two neighbors that are/were guards. One is a hard worker, military background. He is a good guard and a good neighbor. The other, well lets just say he got caught selling his drugs at the prison to the inmates. Was depressed that he lost his job, sat home and drank all summer while on depression meds, lost control one day, threatened his family, one son escaped to the neighbors to call the cops. They came, hauled out over 40 firearms (loaded in to two squad cars), he stabbed his beautiful dog. Then spent a week in the physciatric ward. Come to find out that he was paid for 6 months tho' not working at the prison because his case hadn't come up yet. Pretty sweet life. Sit home 6 months, get paid, I imagine still making money from drugs, then when the free money stops coming in after the hearing go back to the job you had before prison guard - in a local mill. And that is how it goes. This is the norm.
The prisons here are pretty nice, the one they built two miles from my house is pretty nice. On a quiet road, near an international lake and railroad tracks that run north and south, also about a mile from the interstate. You could be in Canada in minutes or headed just about anywhere. It is so heavily wooded that when some inmates escaped a couple of years ago they were not found for months, tho seems they found out later once they were captured in Florida or someplace that they were pretty much in the woods right behind my house for about 3 days, watching the cops and dogs look for them. It is a really dumb place for a prison. We were the only community stupid enough to allow it. It hasn't been a real benefit to the community. People really believed it would be.

Vermont's laws are all about the criminal and very little about the victim.
Most of those in control are "bleeding heart activists" and flatlanders from other states who want to have a little vacation paradise and keep any sort of progress from entering into the state. They have made it unaffordable and uncomfortable to live here.
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Admiral

that is just horrible.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Yeoman

Prison isn't JUST punishment though! It's about getting these rotten eggs off the streets and away from society and our kids. He should have been put in prison for 30+ years . . THEN put into some type of mandatory treatment. Maybe a surgical removal of the 'thing' that causes him to do these things. Seriously, not a revenge type of 'removal'. It's more like part of the treatment. I don't beleive child molesters can be treated in the A-typical counseling sessions.

I also agree that prisons are too cushy. Cable TV? It's like a vacation to some of them.

Why aren't we building prisons that are self sufficient? If they want bread, they can make it themselves. If they need money for the ingredients, they can make something to sell. We shouldn't have to pay so much for these peoples crimes.
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

As a mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, I found this miscarriage of justice sickening but also typical. Any judge that would sentence that sick pup with a slap on the wrist like that is probably a closet pedophile himself, otherwise, how could he have sympathy for him and not that poor child? Treatment really doesn't help those people, they just need to be kept away from the innocents that they destroy.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Passenger

The judge should know that now matter how much treament the sick pieceof dirt has, you will never change his sexual preference, which happens to be children. Young girls, it's a power and control issue with this thing(I will never call him a man). Treatment is a joke, anyone who has ever worked with the sexual dangerous knows this.
Mothers, always be aware of whos around or wants to be around your child.. How did the scum bag have access to her? If and adult doesn't mean to cause your child harm they won't be offended when you won't leave them alone with that person. Coach, Uncle, Grandfather, boyfriends, anyone and everyone except YOU! ALways be on guard..