CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Back from germany..torn between 2 countries:( (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/306256-back-germany-torn-between-2-countries.html)

sue January 5th, 2006 05:18 PM

Back from germany..torn between 2 countries:(

Hello Mates, we have been back since sunday late night but I have not been able to function too well. I miss my home :cry: :cry: :cry: and I have always felt that way ever since I moved into the USA 22+ years ago.We could move there but job wise it wouldnot make any sense. I feel like I left my heart there

Anyway, today i finally managed to get out and shop for groceries plus I went to the German store.Right now I am cooking a German dish :wink: The trip was nice <except the trouble with my family> and we are trying to go back perhaps in the summer. Which means I will not go on any cruises to save the money. But I don't mind it.

Customs at the German airport took a full 1 1/2 hours and after 3 checks, taking shoes off, body searched etc we almost missed our plane to Ft Myers. It was very stressful. We had 9 bags plus carry on plus stuff.It is a miracle we did not get charged for over the weight limit. We made lots of pictures and I will try to post them this weekend. We had lots of snow and it was very pretty but cold :wink: Time flew by and we did not do a lot of things we had planned on doing. But my mother in law had a great time and she wants to go there in the summer of 2007.We will try to fly into Amsterdam then. But first I will try to go back summer of 2006 just the 4 of us.

Things are expensive , food is cheap. The food was wonderful and the christmas goose very nice.

I hope everybody is doing well here...missed you mates

Luanne Russo January 5th, 2006 05:21 PM

Welcome Home Sue!! I truely missed you.

Luanne

Trip January 5th, 2006 06:22 PM

Nice to see you back.

Angela Z. January 5th, 2006 07:47 PM

Welcome back Sue! We missed you!
Angela Z.

dezertcruzer January 5th, 2006 08:01 PM

Welcome back, sue, and I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling "homesick" even though you're back home! As my husband is also an immigrant, I know exactly what you are feeling. He loves it here, but misses his homeland so much. But you have all of us here to help cheer you up!

VTJen January 5th, 2006 08:11 PM

So glad to have you back! Sorry to hear you are homesick. Hopefully if you get to go back more often it will lessen the pain.

Welcome Home!

rollerdonna January 5th, 2006 11:13 PM

Hi Sue, sure have missed you around here, it's not the same without you!
Will be looking forward to seeing your pics posted (like I need to see more snow!)
Hope the family is all well and life is back to normal now.

donna

Jacqueline January 6th, 2006 02:47 AM

Welcome back, Sue.
Sorry you did not have the time to come to Amsterdam.

kimmiegirl January 6th, 2006 06:41 AM

Hi Sue,

Happy new Year and I like you, also thoguht my short trip to Germany (Berlin) was absolutely wonderful. If Berlin is a taster of what tehr est of Germany is like, then I well understand how you are feeling.

Wea re going back to Berlin March as it was well just so wonderful - forget cruising this year, still so far more to do and see and Germany is now very much on the top of the list (as is Hong Kong, Venice, Rome etc).

For us the only thing we personally found much cheaper than the UK was the food and drink. Clothing, especially designer, was the same price as we pay here in the UK so we did not 'shop until you drop for clothes' like we do when we visit the US, as the clothing in the US compared to our pricing is so very cheap! We will wait until June weh we are coming voer the pond to Minnesotta and Chicago.

If only we all had more time and 'dosh' so that we could travel, travel, travel.

Happy 2006

Regards,

Kimmiegirl

Sailing gal January 6th, 2006 06:47 AM

Hi Sue,
It is nice to see you back. I hope things get back to normal for you soon. At least you have next year to look forward to.

Karen

Phyllbo January 6th, 2006 08:20 AM

Welcome back Sue. It's really good to have you posting with us again. We missed you. I'm sorry to hear about your homesickness, but I sure can understand it.

Phyll

TBug January 6th, 2006 09:32 AM

Welcome back...

Hope things stay normal for awhile.

Travelnut January 6th, 2006 09:42 AM

Welcome "home" Sue,,,can't wait for the photos,,,

sue January 6th, 2006 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the kind words.

MichelleP January 6th, 2006 10:14 AM

Welcome home, Sue. It must be hard to be so far from the place you consider home. Have you and Rick considered moving there when he retires? It's a long way away, but it might be something to think about.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

sue January 6th, 2006 05:09 PM

Michelle we have talked about it. We have looked at the prices to buy a house there and we could manage to buy one with the sale of our home here in swfl. But, how would we live? There are many things to consider and unfortenly<sp> the one thing I can not consider is myself in this matter. It tears me apart and I am very depressed about it. But we are looking to go back in the summer...I hope. Thanks for your concern