Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Not holding my breath...

I just realized today that I booked 14 days right smack dab in the middle of what is supposed to be a bad hurricane season (they say worse than this year).

As long as I make it onto the ship, I really don't care where it goes - I can pretty much expect an itin change. The only port in the 14 days that it is scheduled to visit that I haven't been to is Key West, so it won't be a big deal if the itinerary is changed. There are a few ports that we don't get off the ship, such as San Juan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, mainly because we have been there, done that multiple times. The only reason we get off in St. Thomas is to visit our favorite jewelry store.

As long as I am on a ship - I don't care where it goes...

What is more important to you? The Itinerary or just the fact that you are on a ship?
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Hmmm, good question.
The as long as I am on a ship feeling is there, but the Itin is important as well. Maybe because we come from over the pond, and want to see as much as we can, real tourists!! 8)

When are you saling?
Where do you like to buy your diamonds, at DI or CE?

Read and post cruise reviews

Old January 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

We actually go to a smaller jewelry store (I will tell you the name at the dinner - I don't want this to sound like an ad for them). This shop is not pushed on you by the cruiselines, the owners are very knowledgeable, everything we have purchased has appraised for more than we paid and at the quality we were told it had, and their lifetime guarantee works (I had to use it about 4 years ago).

We have purchased so many items at this store, they send us Christmas cards!

Jodi
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Yeoman

Actually, I have to say, I would rather just be on the ship. I have visited most of the tiny little Islands, and i have gotten to the point that it's all the same. beautiful azure water, exotic dishes that tempt the palette...the people.

Nah..a cruise for 7 days to nowhere...that would be great!
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Both are important. I truly love the sea days and have often spoken of them as my "favorites," but I also like visiting the ports. We tend to look for something in every port that can catch our interest. Often the overlooked is what we are most interested in seeing.

I'll be making my 3rd to trip to Nassau in December, but feel certain I'll find something to do there I've never done before...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Passenger

If I had been to all the ports previously, I wouldn't mind itinerary changes. Since I haven't though, I could see being disappointed if I missed something I particularly wanted to see for the first time. Overall, at this point, they could take me to any island in the Caribbean and I would be happy just to be going and on the ship-because I have only been to Nassau previously. I would feel cheated if I missed more than one port day-as much as I love the cruise, I think seeing things and people other than a large floating hotel and vegas style shows is kind of makes the cruise experience special.

My mom went to Europe and missed an entire country she had been looking forward to! (due to illness). She is still mourning that and doesn't anticipate another Eastern Europe cruise any time soon, so its not like a easy thing to make up later.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Admiral

If the cruise is the Caribbean.......then the SHIP is all I care about.......hey, I live in FLORIDA....we have beautiful beaches and tons of sun. However, if it's something more exotic.....Europe, Australia or even ALASKA, then the ports get equal billing.
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Jodi:
At this point, it is the ship that is important to me. On our last Caribbean cruise, we only got off the ship in one port. We, too, are booked during hurricane season this coming September. To be honest, I've not given that much thought. The ship is Freedom of the Seas and I would have done her anytime...just for the experience.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Hi Jodi
We too are booked in Sept on the Mariner of the Seas. After boarding, I don't care too much about the weather, or the ports. We've been on somewhere around 100 cruises, mostly in the Caribbean, and almost never leave the ship anymore. There used to be a "Cruise to Nowhere" out of Tampa that was great, but it's long gone.
Don't worry about it. Get aboard, and enjoy!
See you aboard,
Ken
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I feel the same way, wherever the ship takes me, I go! Its nice to see land, but its not top priority anymore. As for it being hurricane season, living in Florida it doesn't really make a difference ot us. We put up our shutters, "batten down the hatches" and go!
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Being that we are not seasoned veterans, We like the ports also, but as long as I am on a ship that is moving, I am happy.
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Jeanne,
After the 2004 hurricane season, I would rather be on a ship than here in Orlando. At least the ship can go around the storm...
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Jodi?..Do you really like the Carnival Glory? :evil: ..I just had to throw that in there. If I could, I would go out on the Fantasy every time. I liked it that much and she was my first.
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Jodi, I agree 100%, much rather be on a ship during a hurricane than on my house!

BigJohn, the first always holds a special place in your heart, but start taking more cruises and you'll see that its always the next one that can hold you in awe!
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Admiral

I agree with you fllady...as you see we did go on the Conquest. I loved it too..
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Admiral

BigJohn, This will be my second and third cruise on the Glory. I do not have a favorite ship - they are all my favorites! Of all my cruises to the Caribbean - 11 in all, the Glory was the best. My first cruise was on the Ecstacy 10 years ago and I can still remember how she looked then down to every last detail. For me, my choices for cruises and ships are based on 1. When I want to go. 2. The most cost efficient per day. and 3. The port from which it sails.

Of the ships I have been on (three of them on two or three sailings) I would rank them this way:

1. tie -Spirit (this is probably because it was to Hawaii and still fresh in my mind from 3 month ago)
1. tie - Pride
1. tie - Glory
4. Ecstacy
5. Sensation
6. Imagination
7. Triumph - because of my three sailings on this ship, I found the staff to be the rudest and most incompetent of all other ships - I kept giving them a chance, but each time it was the same.

Each of the ships have their own special qualities, but the staff, activities (social hosts, CD, etc) and layout of the ships have a lot to do with your experience on board. I have had only one truly bad cruise where things went so wrong (things that CCL had total and complete control over - not other passengers, bad weather, or illness) that it ruined the entire voyage. I did not, however, let that prevent me from giving CCL another chance and every cruise since then has been better than the one before.

I am in a CCL rut, but I am a creature of habit and don't like to have my cheese moved. I like knowing what to expect, what my options will be, what the service will be like, etc. As long as I enjoy sailing on CCL, I will continue to make them my cruiseline of choice.

When booking my next cruises, I did look at RCCL and Princess, but pricewise and for what I am looking for in a cruise, CCL beat both of them again. Comparing what I just booked, I got two weeks on the Glory, sailing from the same port, for the same week, for the same ports, for what a comparable balcony cabin on RCCL for only $354 more than what one week on RCCL would have cost. Break it down to a per day basis and it comes out to CCL $150.85/day and RCCL $251.26/day.

Jodi
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Thank You Jodi...I was just razzing you a little but you put out some good information. I too like CCL but I guess I will find out what Celeb has to offer in less than a year. I dont blame you one bit. You are in a prime location to take advantage of cruising. Now I wish I was living in Fl. .. Thanks again.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

ship, ship, itin is important but much less compared to just being out there. We just got back today from doing the western again (2nd time in a year) don't mind at all

banker