Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default HAL 3-star // Carnival Legend 4 1/2 star

I was doing some searches to book another one and I was using expedia (they have good search flexibility based on date and destination)

Why is their rating system rating the Veendam at 3 1/2 star and the Legend at 4 1/2 star???

We were looking at HAL, but we have not been on either of these ships, is this accurate? Is expedia accurate in general? (I have never searched with them before either)

banker
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Hi
My friends have been on the Legend a couple of times and I was shown the pictures from their last trip. It is only 2 years old, or so, and the decor is all like Greek-columns and ornamentation. She said it was beautiful. It also has some extra ammenties in the bathroom, like toothpaste every day, and bottles of lotion in the shower. They enjoyed the shows, to, They were going to take it back over to Hawaii in the Fall but it is being repoed north.
The only HAL ship we've been on is the Zuiderdam. While is was passable and the trip on a whole wasn't bad, it wasn't for us. This same friend has been on just about every HAL ship, too, and several of the Carnival ships.

Expedia is a reputable site, sort of in the same genre as Travelocity and Orbitz. We haven't used it, but I know many people who do.

I hope this gives you something to go on. Lynne. (PS. We were considering the Legend, too, that's why I want her pictures to show Trevor.

Ruby Princess
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Banker,
I assume you're talking about the Carnival Legend, as opposed to the Legend of the Seas. The lovely Mrs. Jones and I have sailed the Oosterdam, and found it to be acceptable, but certainly not exceptional. The best thing about HAL, IMO, is the beds. They have outstanding beds, and you can sleep like a baby! Entertainment was good, food acceptable, but not great by any standard, and service O.K.
We've never sailed the Carnival Legend, but have sailed the Legend of the Seas. I'd probably choose either of the "Legends" before a HAL ship.
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Hal 31/2, Legend 41/2

Banker, we went on Carnival Legend 2 years ago when it was new and frankly, when I walked into the atrium I was shocked. It was very dark and dreary and urns were everywhere. Then we went on Valor last year (twin to Legend). Excellent decor and food. I wish they would get someone else to do their ships because so much is tasteless and puzzling. Isn't the Veendam an older ship? Seems like I remember seeing it in the Carribean quite a few years ago.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Radiance of the Seas is far more beautiful than any Carnival ship I have ever cruised including the new Liberty. I can't speak for HAL.
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

we just got off Radiance on Sunday and it was indeed beautiful!

banker
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Betty,
I'm glad you said something about the color on the Carnival Legend. Trevor, especially, likes bright colors, and I like a light ship so the dark colors you described might possibly turn our heads in a different direction. The Zuiderdam was the first to be decorated in "Carnival" mode, so many of the schemes were in in "art deco"--reds, black and white, yellow, etc.
Lynne

Ruby Princess