Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Interests at Sea

While reading along with Kuki. and seeing that Geela, was able to take a pottery class..[how great is that!] I was wondering if it was possible, onboard. what would you like to participate in as far as an educational, learning experience. How about your favorite author? Learn about computers? Learn a craft? Get an inside view on ------------? You fill in the blanks!

I would love to meet a mystery author a day.

I would also love to learn more complicated beading techniques, and to learn how to make glass beads, and glass art. Also, pottery for me would be interesting too.

Instead of a wine tasting seminar, I would love to see a tea tasting seminar.

Ok,I am waiting.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Captain

I just thought of something. I would like to learn ballroom dancing. Then when they have the band on formal night, My DH and I can dance to it.

Karen
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Yeoman

I would love to cruise with Publishing companies...that way they have no choice but to talk to me about getting all 4 of my books published!

I would as well love to do the ballroom dancing! a good strong partner to lead and I can trip through it. And i would sew one of those cool dresses like Ginger Rogers wore...

I would like a cruise that had lots to do for folks who aren't partnered, but have partners...( I'm married, but the man is staying home ) Would love to do a scavenger hunt that had just 12 people or couples. I went on one with 800 people..that was NOT fun!

will shut up now.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would like to learn about the different ports we went to. I would like to hear someone really talk about the ships. I like the idea of traveling with authors. I would like to travel with people that complain all the time, and time them to see how long they could tread water.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Oh Luanne your a bad girl,,,but I like your way of thinking

I also would like to have dance classes,,,but not just ball room.
All types of dancing.

Watching that t.v. show tonight really got me wanting to learn it all. Just think of all the great exercise it would be.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Intereating question Trip. Hmmm, maybe a language class, just the basics, before hitting a port of call. Maybe Spanish for the Caribbean, or Italian or French in Europe.
Authors interest me too, and I wouldn't mind a "meet and greet" with some of the featured entertainers.

donna
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Holland offers a hands on cooking class with the main chef on board. Very interesting, you get the menus and recipes to take with you and other ammenities.

My wife took the class and enjoyed it very much. What was nice as I took pictures and watched the audience took part in the tasting at the end.

If you enjoy cooking and fine cuisine this is not to be missed.

Old January 14th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

Default Interests at sea

I see others enjoyed Dancing with the Stars. That show is the hottest show on tv. I agree, put me down for ballroom dancing; two left feet, but what the hey. Now dh is a really good dancer. That show is refreshing, not one person gets mugged or shot or...

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Admiral

I would love to go on a PBS sponsored theme chartered cruise featuring the original 60's Motown groups and the 70's Disco groups

I would love to go on a cruise featuring the 2007 Victoria Secret catalog models and the 2007 Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition models and a one week open casting call for the next Bond girl movie featuring Halle Berry look -a- likes

I would love to go on a cruise featuring all of the authors of all of my favorite books

I would love to go on a cruise for VW beetle fans where we could bring our beetles along for a driving rally around the Greek Islands

I would love to go on a CSI and Law and Order cruise featuring all of the cast members shooting a cross over episode

Oh, I digress, the topic was an educational experience..wait a minute, all of my wishes would be centered around that, I could learn how Victoria Secret and Sports Illustrated put together their special edition and I could play air guitar on the music cruises
(VBG)
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I really love the idea of the cooking classes. I love to cook and am always looking for something new and interesting. Reading is another favorite pastime for me so I would also enjoy cruises with authors. I had not been reading a lot in the last few years due to poor eyesight. I recently had the second cataract surgery. I am reading a lot more now and enjoying it. How about photography classes in 35mm and digital.

Laura
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Admiral

On our recent "Legend of the Seas" cruise, they taught dancing, with a different step every day. It was lots of fun, and very well attended. (I couldn't get the lovely Mrs. Jones to go, so in the future I'll need volunteers from the CM group.)
I'd also enjoy most any kind of Music Cruise. Anything from MoTown, to Big Band. (No Rap please)
A cruise to honor our troops who served, and are serving in Iraq and Afghanastan would be great, perhaps with some of them giving first hand lectures on what they have experienced, and the changes that are happening in that part of the world.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Interests at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I would also love to learn more complicated beading techniques, and to learn how to make glass beads, and glass art. Also, pottery for me would be interesting too.
Trip, Anne Campbell told me you are very good beader, as is she. She and I did beads together sometimes when I lived in NYC and now I enjoy looking at them in stores when I see them. One time she had me running all over Venice looking for a specific bead shop that it turned out had moved. I soent 4 hours looking for its new locatrion and when I finally found it it was closed. There went my one day in Venice.
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Venice gave me another idea. How about a "LOST" cruise to the Hawaiian islands? We could meet and greet with all the cast from LOST! Once we got there , we could visit the set on the beach.

donna
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Yeoman

I can't help myself...I must reply...

Ladies...just think. Our men go on a cruise for the scantily dressed starving under-ware beauties...they are all reduced to Zombie status. Drooling, eyes bugged out...mindless.

are y'all picturing this?? now, picture the mindless blobs of testosterone handing over the credit cards and money when we whisper in their ears...."can I go shopping?" Oh yes...that has possibilities. Jewelry anyone?
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Texas frye...on behalf of all male CM members, I resented your implication that if we went on a cruise with Victoria Secret and Sports Illustrated models that we all would be drooling and thus would be suspectible to giving you our credit cards so you can go shopping whle we drool...

We are smart enough to have already left our credit cards home, since we charged them up purchasing a new SLR digital camera so we can take photography classes that are offered onboard by the professional photographers (remember the original post concerned classes we would like to see offered on our cruise) with hopes that one of our photographs would be selected for the cover of either magazine and with the money we earned, we could take our wives or girlfriends on a future cruise in a suite

and to think you think so little of us that you would just settle for some jewelry (VBG)..this is about improving our lives thru photography !!!
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I'd like to have real ballroom dances on board, not just a small floor available in one of the lounges. I really miss my dancing-have been doing it since Jr. High, and even got Trevor doing it. And, it IS fantastic exercise. I lost some pounds doing the swing, I'll tell ya!!
There were pottery/ceramic classes and computer classes on the Princess ships this last year or two but they were at an extra cost. Since, we do ceramics at work, I can get that for free. The computer classes were about $25/hr. I can buy many ice cream cones for that!!!

Authors and some great music groups would be great, too! I'm into almost anything but rap and hip hop. We listened to about 1 verse of hip hop when our grandson was here just so we could say we'd heard it. I imagine there are Christian versions of it, but what we heard on the radio made our ears melt. Teen-agers shouldn't be listening to that stuff-but then, that was what our parents said about rock and roll!!

Dancing With the Stars is a wonderful show!! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Default Interests at Sea

I'd like to meet whodunit authors and I would go for the ballroom dancing as well. I have two left feet both with arthritis and bunions, so it hurts to dance. But I think learning how to handle my feet and the rest of my body on the dance floor would help a lot.

Judy
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

I Didn't read properly, and thoroughly. My very, very, humble apologies.

That and am a professional, though retired, photographer, and used the idiotic word "assume". I shall forever hang my head in shame, and not bore you with the details on how the photo shoot actually goes.

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Texas Frye...I know the real deal about a photo shoot..it's just like being an extra in a movie...hours and hours of sitting around and being bored out of your mind..then 1 minute of being on camera..and then waiting 2 years for the movie to come out and find out they cut out your one scene

However, since so many of these under nourished super models come from Europe..during the hours and hours of boredom, the models could have a foreign language class, so we men could learn to say compliments to them in another dialect hanging around the pool on the lido deck with the drink of the day

fyi, back in the day, when I lived in New York City, I went out with a model who specialized in modeling swimsuits for department stores...she was so focused on her weight and face that she had little time or desire to do normal things..it was however nice to be seen with one, but she was looking for a rich man to take care of her, so she dumped me quick
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yeoman

I know how that is. I modeled as a teenager, did some runway as well. Decided I didn't like to wear a size 8 on a 5'10" frame, so I got behind the camera.
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Hey Trip> By your title to this thread, I naturally assumed that the major banks were thinking of setting up branches on cruise ships.................

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

As for learning new things, I would like to see a dance class. My dh has 2 left feet .
I'm into scrapbooking and there are cruises just for that.
While it sounds like fun, I work at it all day. so, a cruises about work is not for me. besides the paper, embellishments, etc would blow away.
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Sea Trekke,,,I also do scrapbooking,,,my daughter and I are going to an all weekend crop next weekend. It's been our weekend away for the last 3 years,,,, Such fun,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

another vote for ballroom dancing class!
I would also like lectures on the ports of call, not just shopping or what ships tours to take, but good information on what to see, what to do.