Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

I have never met Jim. I have never ever had a cross word with Jim and yet I have not always agreed with him, but there is ONE thing I can say about Jim Bragg . HE IS A FAIR individual and I know the ones that I have seen him deal with, were treated with fairness and equality. JIM? rest assured buddy, you will be missed and I hope and pray that someday I will get to meet you and Sylvia. You are a real Gentleman.
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I am sorry to hear about the 3 that were let go. I know I am just a lurker out here, so I may get flamed for this....
I know how hard it is to let go, and I know many of you think that you should have been givin notice about this... I can understand how you feel, but I don't hear announcements over the intercom at Wal-Mart, or any other work place, that someone was being let go. I know how sad it is to loose a memeber of an on-line family (one of my really great online friends passed away a year ago)... but we have to remember that they are not banned from coming back and saying hi, and from what I have seen so far, most of them will!
I really hope that I have not upset anyone.. it was not my intention.

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Erin,

You are right. You don't hear things like that over the intercom. But you don't usually have customers helping new people that come in to the store. You don't have customers praying for each other at Wal Mart. You don't see total strangers, celebrating birthdays, and anniversaries. and saddened by deaths. Did you know that the major people helping you on your cruises are people that don't work here? That you will very seldom get an employee to wish you a bon voyage. It was us, Erin.

The three people let go are going to be fine. They are great people and have a lot to offer. The sad part was we were Wal Mart and we didn't realize it.

Luanne
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM
First Mate

Luanne,

I understand what you are saying.... but these people were let go from their JOB. I can understand that they feel like family, and they are... but they were let go from a JOB, I know I wouldn't like my job to post anything anywere about me being let go. I know you feel like it was impersonal, and it was, but this is a buisness, and it has to run like that. I'm sorry if I upset you, I didn't try to. Just my two cents.

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Erin,

You didn't upset me. Everything is fine, and I appreciate you letting me know how it is.

Luanne
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
First Mate

Thanks Luanne.... I know it is hard, but I am sure they will all be around from time to time. I know I am just a lurker, but I am here at least twice a day checking things out, so it feels family like to me... I know it sucks to just lose someone out of nowhere...

Take Care!
Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Erin,

They never really left. Of course they will be around for the most part.
Don't do like I did, and get caught up in the "family" crap. It hurts when you find out the real deal.
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Yeoman

I have been quietly reading this, as i am a new person, i really didn't think i should jump in, i guess maybe I still shouldn't.

I hope i don't upset anyone, I really don't mean to. I don't find it easy to explain things using eloquent wording, so please keep this in mind.

I can see both sides of this issue. Why? because i have been in Mr. Motter's shoes. Let me give a short background of why.

I was a VP of a huge online gaming corporation. I was the web master, 107 pages to build, in code, as there just wasn't any programs like there are today. This was in 1995. Part of my task was editor to 13 writers, developing a web based chat and forum. I was also on the board, so I had to be part of the decision making on hiring, firing, content, etc.

What Mr. Motter and his managers had to do was extremely difficult. The higher-ups say change things, well they did, and had no choice of the matter. I don't know any details of the CM mission statement or minutes, nor do I know exactly what is going on, but i do know "what" happens when something like this, well, happens.

It is also something that really, can't be told in detail. We try to make it easy, and give the basic reasons, though often, it isn't announced due to the huge furor that will come about. Of course, the ones involved should be spoken to, and they were, then it went into effect. At least this is how it was done with my company.

the company doesn't mean to make us, the consumer, for lack of better words, feel like we don't count. In essence, if we weren't here, CM wouldn't be either.

The family of posters here, are a small part that makes CM important. We talk laugh, cry, tease and goof around like a big happy family. We are just 1 or 2% of the entire CM site. When he stated we are hugely outnumbered, he wasn't being mean. It is true. So please, don't take offense to this.

Many of you are business related, you understand the "politics" of a company. Your returning customers are tread a bit more special, but it is to the ones who are lurking around, who make a company make it or break it. Without the lurkers, once again, for lack of a better word, the forum would not last.

I will go out on a limb and hope this is what Mr. Motter meant.

with the expenses of servers, techs, webmasters, marketing, sales, artists, etc. it costs a fortune to keep this up and running. Sometimes you have no choice but to let folks go, and how they decide is how their conditions, or such, is met.

An example of how I had to decide, which was the hardest part of my job, as I loved everyone of my employees like a family, was a check list. This is an example. Who was most active, who was more productive (2 different things) who had miner parts to the job, and it goes on. I am sure they did it the same, though a different agenda.

And, those decisions were for management. It just isn't shared with the customers. No need to. When your favorite waiter, cashier, or store employee is suddenly not there, and you ask someone, they don't, or shouldn't say why, only, "they no longer work here." It's just policy.

So please, understand Mr. Motter is only doing his job, under orders, and his hands are tied. I really hope i didn't upset anyone, or was rash in my statements, this is all about how I had to do things, all my opinions. Nothing what so ever about CM, or the policies. only that I can understand his side, and how hard it was, and is, trying to keep peace and happiness.

Things just can not be shared.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Thank you TexasFyre! I agree 100%. It is sad to see them go, but they had to do what they had to do. It wasn't meant to hurt anyone, unfortuatly, buisness is buisness.

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Fyre,
FYI… Although it is not advertised much, Paul Motter is the “other? cofounder and owner of CruiseMates. He isn’t doing what’s told, it don’t get any higher than Paul…(?) Unless some of the questions I proposed remain unanswered.
and laughing is contagious,
heres hoping for an epidemic!
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Yeoman

Like I said, i didn't know the chain of command. Sorry.
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

This illustrates the down side to an online community. You posters that are extremely sad and frustrated are just now finding out what others already know.

The internet is a powerful tool, probably the greatest invention (thank you Al Gore<JK>) in our lifetime. Even so, the downside is tremendous. What you have just found out is that your community isn't real, it's virtual.

It may have felt real but it wasn't and was never meant to be. You think that you know these other posters intimately but you don't. You only know the persona that they project on a message board. Yes, some of you have met in person and that would negate some of the last statement but meeting someone and really knowing them are two different things.

I am a moderator on forum for truck drivers and I see this all the time. My suggestion to those that are upset and still reeling, learn to move on.
Onward and upward. Cruisemates is still here, it's just changed some. Perhaps for the better, you don't know yet.

Out of chaos rises opportunity. 8)

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Roscoe,
What you said is correct, but would you recommend it, or so to speak endorse it? Without proper monitoring… That is the problem being addressed.
and laughing is contagious,
heres hoping for an epidemic!
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Maybe I'm missing something but are the people who left being replaced, or were the moves made just to save on salaries ?
Just asking an honest question.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Roscoe,
What you said is correct, but would you recommend it, or so to speak endorse it? Without proper monitoring… That is the problem being addressed.
I am not sure what you are even asking about.

If you are asking if posters are owed a warning or an explanation before moderators/chat hosts go bye bye?

NO. It's not the posters board, it's not a real community.
It's a virtual community built on perceptions not reality.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Roscoe, it was real. if it had not been real then so many would not be hurting now. We made it real. We started the mornings off together, and if someone couldn't sleep at night, they always found someone who was doing the same.

I started this post, and now that we know the facts, it's time to let it go.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Luanne, I agree. Roscoe has not been (visibly) around enough to know that here at CruiseMates, we are not "virtual" we are REAL. we ARE reality, in the best way possible. I wake up with you guys every morning and go to bed with you every night (let me re-phrase that... )
What I mean is, you guys are part of my daily life, and I care abour each and every one of you, and even though I may not always agree with someone, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Isn't the CruiseMates logo on their T-shirts "CruiseMates, where MY opinion counts!" ?

I do not like what happened to our fellow CruiseMates, but I try to understand it as a business decision. Life is not always fair, and sometimes it sucks. I feel like my family has been torn apart, and I sure hope none of us deserts the family at this point in time, I would miss you too much!

donna
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn461
I have never met Jim. I have never ever had a cross word with Jim and yet I have not always agreed with him, but there is ONE thing I can say about Jim Bragg . HE IS A FAIR individual and I know the ones that I have seen him deal with, were treated with fairness and equality. JIM? rest assured buddy, you will be missed and I hope and pray that someday I will get to meet you and Sylvia. You are a real Gentleman.
Amen... Thank you! im glad someone agree's with me.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Jason:

I have kept out of this thread but I have to address one thing. The monitoring of these boards is at the same level this week as it was last week.

The offending post you refer to was removed within 18 minutes after the email notification.

While Tweety and Trip were part of the staff as chat hosts they were never moderators of the message boards.

That is all I have to say on the matter. The rest of the staff will now go about our business.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

I suppose they will be better off anyway since moderating a board is very time consuming and usually the pittance of a salary is not worth it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I suppose they will be better off anyway since moderating a board is very time consuming and usually the pittance of a salary is not worth it.

Regards,
Thomas
I am currently the (new) moderator of a teen board and BOY is Thomas correct! Time consuming doesn't begin to describe it! I hope to still see all the faces around CM's, including those 3 recently "released."

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04