Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default What Happened

It seems that several of our beloved staff members have been let go on the boards. I sure hope that it was for a very good reason, because I feel like parts of my family have been excommunicated from our group.

Does anyone have an offical statement? Did we get a chance to have a going away party? Were we not going to notice?

I have always said, and I will say again. This is not your normal Cruise board. We are family. Families don't do this without someone saying why.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Yeoman

I was noticing that too. I'll give it time before i make a scenario from it, then write a short story..Titled "The Mystery of the disappearing hosts"
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Admiral

I thought they were all on a cruise together ?

Luanne, are you auditioning for a new job ? you would be very good at this
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Admiral

I hadn't noticed this Luanne. You are one sharp cookie. I did go to the home page and look at the staff list. Hmmmm--seems to be a few people missing. I'm with you, What happened???

Phyll
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Admiral

CruiseMates has undergone a bit of restructuring. These people are our family as well since we've been working together for six years. I hope we see them all on these boards, perhaps in their civilian clothes. Then they can tell you what they really think, lol.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: What Happened

Yes, there have been changes in the staff having to do with re-aligning the management philosophy here at CruiseMates. People were let go in different areas, some people you may know and some you don't. There were no personal reasons behind the changes at all, we love our staff here as well, and all the people are still more than welcome to be a part of the family if they choose to be.

It was a very tough decision on our part, but based on conditions we felt were impossible to ignore. Some of the wonderful people we let go have told us they will still be around to do their chats and will be posting on the boards very much like before. Of course, we are very happy about that, but we also have to recognize they are not obligated to participate like they were before. Therefore, we chose to take their staff bios down so they will be free to participate as they please and not feel taken advantage of. But, even though you will not see their names listed on the chat schedule, most of them have indicated they will still show up, they have not abandoned you, their friends.

We feel like a family, here, too, and when families have to make tough choices based on considerations other than just warm & fuzzy feelings it may seem to those who don't know like we do not care. That is not true at all. We love our staff members, current and former, and we want foremost for them to be happy. We can't keep them on the payroll any longer, but we certainly enjoy their company and will welcome seeing their faces here whenever they choose to participate. This is a sad change in official business, but nothing has changed in our hearts when it comes to how we feel about these people.

We are happy we were able to provide them with many years of being officially part of the CM family, and of course we thank them immeasurably for all they contributed over the years. We hope they will still feel the same way about us now that they are no longer official but have been set free. But if they do not then there are certainly no hard feelings on our part. We will still have all good thoughts about them no matter what.

Please understand that we do not want to say more than this because it simply would not be productive. Situations like this are tough for everyone and nothing more that could be added would make anyone feel any better about this change. Our hearts are in one place, while our pocketbooks and business focus are on another, and that is a tough place to be.
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Thanks Paul and Anne. I know stuff like this is never easy. I hope that those people will chose to stay around too.

Phyll
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Darn...no short story then. Guess I will go clean.
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Thank you Anne, and Paul for your statements. I realize this is business for you, and I can sure understand that very well, but you must understand that this is home for us.

This reminds me of the weekend that the board format was changed, and we were not told it was going to happen, and that for days it might be a mess, but to hang on.

I think it might have been nice to make an announcement, so that we as a group could thank those who were leaving the bridge of our ship. They have driven it well, kept us safe, and reassured us, during bad conditions. It should not have been a puzzle, where we had to find out where waldo went. Their names have still not been released, even with both of you making statements.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I agree, we could have had some warning, just like the changeover in the boards. Us "oldies" do not like change! That being said, I want to say thanks to Anne and Paul for making their statements and explanations, but most of all, I want to thank those moderators who are no more. Thank you for your dedication, hard work and most of all for your friendships. I certainly hope we will still see you as regular posters on chit chat!

donna
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Venice, I just saw your question, and the answer is no. I am not looking for a job on here. I would have messed it up if I was, with my first post. I am to considerate, and think to much of others feelings.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I think it might have been nice to make an announcement, so that we as a group could thank those who were leaving the bridge of our ship.
Well, I am hopeful you will have a plenty of chances to see them in the future, and if not for any reason, I will be happy to give you their contact information.

As for giving advance notice, that would be is a little awkward logistically. We decided it was better to do it this way and give them the choice to stick around, or just pop in at any time they want to. And we hope they will.

I suspect a couple of them might be kicking back and thinking "well, it isn't so bad having some free time this weekend."
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Luanne..you could have a section entitled "joke of the day" because you have contributed so many great stories
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Luanne..you could have a section entitled "joke of the day" because you have contributed so many great stories
That is how we got our cruise trivia game started, and out picture of the week, by people on the message boards posting a different cruise trivia question every day - we though "how fun" so we made it official. The picture of the week I believe was started by Y2C, he used to post a picture every day.

I thought about doing a joke of the day. I have this great cruise calendar with a different funny cartoon daily. Some of the jokes you already know, but many are very original. Like an old couple telling a young couple

"This cruise we're going around the world, but next year we're going somewhere else."
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Paul, It's not about talking to them, or getting in touch. I have the e-mails of two, and would like to get in touch with the third. These people had become my friends. They were not given a good send off from becoming our leader. We were not given a chance to say thanks.

In the meeting you had, how in the world did you decide on these three? The rocks of the organization. But, you know and I know that this is just business. What was done was what happens all over the country these days. What made it different is that the business involved customers that were a part of your employees. yes I said it. Customers... That is all we are. It's a good business too. Pay a few a little, and get all these volunteers to promote, advise, and sale for free. Not a bad set up.
I wish you and Anne much sucess. But do yourselves a favor, and hire or get someone to do PR. What you have now stinks

My best,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Luanne...

It is easy to get caught up in the perception of CruiseMates as what you see in the chit-chat board and the chatroom -- a small group of tightly-knit friends who come in and talk all day long, like the corner store in a small town. You have become like a family, which is why your friends of CM are very welcome to return here and participate.

But that is not the true picture of CruiseMates. The true picture is hundreds of customers coming and going every hour. In reality CruiseMates is more like a department store in a big town, which services up to 20,000 customers every day. People you never hear from comprise our regular audience.

We managers who have access to the data of what really happens here believe we have a very good handle on what we are doing. Not perfect, but good.

And while we consider you regulars to be our best customers, in practical terms we cannot justify making our business decisions soley upon what you think. Yes, you are our best customers, but you are hugely, hugely out-numbered by what comprises the profile our "average and regular" customers.

We really value you, and so we go out of our way a great deal. You have an open-topic message board (here in chit-chat), an open-topic photo-gallery, and we are keeping the chatroom open. But in reality if we ran it purely "as a business" as many companies do then we probably couldn't justify doing those things.

So, I'm sorry you think our PR is bad, but we do what we think is best for the big picture. You regulars are kind of caught up in a tidal wave of thousands of visitors your are not even aware of. If the ride gets a little bumpy once in awhile we apologize.
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Paul, I thank you for clearing things up for me, and anyone else who cares. I now have the facts as to what happened. I also know why there was never a statement made. To have released the truth, would have made a fire storm so to speak, and that would not have been good for business.

Thank you again for clearing things up. I hope the rest of your weekend is a good one.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
My career, with Cruisemates goes back to the very begining and from the begining, I have always taken great pride in my association, with Anne & Paul, and YOU! That has not changed. While, my name may not be "up in lights," I am still going to be hosting my Monday night chat, as usual.... so be there or be square

I would be lying, if I said, I wouldn't rather have had things continue on, but, I do understand, things do change, and you have to roll with the punches.

My allegance is here, first and always, so keep looking for that little lady, in her chair, with her cup of tea & book... xoxoxoxoxox
Linda Pearl
aka 'Trip'

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Spoken Like A real Lady!!!
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Miss Linda, I always knew you were a class act. What lovely sentiments. You really impress me!
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Yeoman

Default What happened

A lot of this is still hazy to me and I imagine to others who frequent this board. I understand some moderators are gone, but I guess I never looked at it as "paid employees." Does the income come from paid advertising and/or other sources? Just would like to see the whole picture, but probably won't ever tie together all the gray areas.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Trip, I'm glad to see you're still around and that there are no hard feelings. You've become part of my everyday routine, and I don't mean that to sound dull! I mean that I look forward to saying "hi!" to all of you every day and hearing about what's up in your lives. I hope the others feel the same. "Seaya" around kid!

donna
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Trip,
I'm very glad you will still be on the Monday night chat.
You are one classy lady !!! Thanks for sharing.
Mondays are the best night for me to be with you and all the friends here.
Even with the changes this is still the best web site. I have looked around and found there is nothing like this one. Keep up the good work Paul M and all the 'swabbies' behind the scenes.
Carole
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Can't imagine not seeing the "little lady with the cup of tea," so I'm glad you're hanging around, Trip!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Thanks Paul and Anne for the explanation.

I guess I was the last to know as I didn't figure it out until a few minutes ago.

Gaile and Linda; hope to see you both still in Chat!! 8)

Thanks for all the good advice over the last few years!!!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I posted a thread "I am confused....as Usual" and it ask the same question. I hate it that we lose our moderat orsor chat hosts. I hope they hang around and stay as a part of the family. IF I see that little lady in the blue chair, or that big Taught I sawed a puddy tat, or the big guy on the motorcicle dissapear.....that little razorback will follow with them. It just won't be the same. I think RollerD said it best. Us older folks don't like change. I am from the old school...IF it ain't broke..then DON'T fix it. I understand that change must take place and so let it be. A little notice would have been nice. :o I think this has been the most vocal about anythingI have been so far. Hmmmmm..everything has been good so far.
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Admiral

I remember seeing a very offensive post one morning. I thought, wow thats odd that it was on for so long. I reported it and I know others did to, but still it stayed for hours.

Then I find out Jim was gone. That explains it! He would have never let it go for so long.

Decisions are made for what ever reasons but I have to say I'm worried about the security with Jim gone if thats an example of how things will be from now on.

I also agree with the others that I think an announcement for us, and them would have been appreciated.

As was said maybe we are just a small part of the big picture, but we are the heart! We are the ones that help answer and assist and advice all that come.

Jim, you will be missed. I respected you. I always will.

Sincerely,
Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

You know In the world of Policing we have a Phoetic Alphabet and nothing sounds better than what this is all boiling down to... "Bravo Sierra" You people talk about downgrading yet get rid of the people who actually made this message board what it is today, these people put in countless hours of there time and effort to better help serve your "big picture" then you just let them go and you dont even have the dignity to let there dearest friends who they have made over this website know about whats going on? Shame on you all like it was going to be a secret and no one would find out? I may be banned from this board after this message but im standing up for whats right and im standing up for my friends! You people are really cute in fact my blood pressure is boiling over this B.S These are people who i have met in person and other's who i have not but shared e-mails and hours of chat with! These people educated me in cruising and encouraged me to cruise with them and kept me coming back to this "big picture" business These people actually mean something to me and all they provide to me is friendship. How can you people have the hearts to eliminate people like Tweety and Trip and Jim? individuals who make this place go round. Shame on you Paul and Anne and whomever else was behind this all and i have a good idea of who else was behind this. those three people's knowledge, respect and committment to this board are unreplacable.

I hope you people are happy now.

:evil:
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2_Thunder
You know In the world of Policing we have a Phoetic Alphabet and nothing sounds better than what this is all boiling down to... "Bravo Sierra" You people talk about downgrading yet get rid of the people who actually made this message board what it is today, these people put in countless hours of there time and effort to better help serve your "big picture" then you just let them go and you dont even have the dignity to let there dearest friends who they have made over this website know about whats going on? Shame on you all like it was going to be a secret and no one would find out? I may be banned from this board after this message but im standing up for whats right and im standing up for my friends! You people are really cute in fact my blood pressure is boiling over this B.S These are people who i have met in person and other's who i have not but shared e-mails and hours of chat with! These people educated me in cruising and encouraged me to cruise with them and kept me coming back to this "big picture" business These people actually mean something to me and all they provide to me is friendship. How can you people have the hearts to eliminate people like Tweety and Trip and Jim? individuals who make this place go round. Shame on you Paul and Anne and whomever else was behind this all and i have a good idea of who else was behind this. those three people's knowledge, respect and committment to this board are unreplacable.

I hope you people are happy now.

:evil:
Pretty strong words, zr2_Thunder, but I can get pretty emotional too under some circumstances.

I think Jim is a fine dude, friendly and very experienced with cruising. Not so sure he was quite as fair a moderator as his clan makes him out to be, but that is just my opinion. Let's just say I think he was alot "fairer" with some people than with others. I wish him well. I hope to cruise alot more in the future so maybe we will meet in person someday. I have a suspicion IRL we would get along pretty good.

zr2_Thunder, no need to be bitter. If you mean what you say, it is an easy enough thing to form your own cruise website and hire whoever you want and compete with CruiseMates. The beautiful thing in a free world is the best WILL win out.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

Im not here to start an internet argument because i gaurentee that if this was in person you really wouldent be saying much to me.

Carry on. Happy cruising.