Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Historic Bridge - VTJen

Local newspaper reports: "Ice jam threatens historic bridge" It goes on:

"Rain adds to worries in Hartland as ice nears bottom of bridge. With the lattest January rainfall going full thrust yesterday across New Brunswick, a lot of attention was being focused on Hartland, a town about an hour northwest of Fredericton.

More specifically, provincial and local officials are concerned about a major ice flow on the St. John River which was seriously threatning the safety of the world's longest covered bridge -- the 105-year-old wooden structure crossing at Hartland.

The 373-meter (1,223 foot) long structure attracts thousands of tourists from around the world each year to the small New Brunswick community.

At press time last night, Hartland Mayor Neville Hargrove told this newspaper that the ice flow had moved upstream to where it was directly underneath the crossing, only three meters below the base of the bridge. It was only raining lightly at the time, but about 10 - 15 mm (0.4 - 0.6 inches) were forecast for the area."

The article goes on and on. The bottom line, the structure is in great dange of being destroyed. The province of New Brunswick still has 64 working wooden covered bridges.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Bill, That is so sad. I hope it is not destroyed before I can get there to see it.

Luanne
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Thanks for filling me in. How is the rescue efforts coming so far?
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Oh...VTJen, you are still around? I was so worried, you hadn't answered my emails?
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Admiral

I sent you a pm after I found one from you. It was the one where you said I hadn't answered any of your emails, but it was the only one I have gotten. When I read that one I pm'd you to say that was the only one I had received, but I never heard back from you.
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Friday, Jan 20

No news being reported as to how high the ice jam has gotten to. This is a good sign. If the ice jam gets much higher it's goodbye Hartland Bridge.

I will up-date if there's news reported.

Bill
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Thanks Bill
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Admiral

VTJen:

Bienvenue!

Bill
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Bonjour Bill!
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Up-date January 20th:

"Too close for comfort:" "Bridge safe but water still high".

"Hartland-area residents are looking forward to a quiet weekend without fearing their beloved bridge would be destroyed.

An ice jam, which threatened the world's longest covered bridge, has shrunk to half of its original six-kilometre size.

Andy Morton of River Watch 2006, which is part of New Brunswick's Emergency Measures Organization, sounded the "all clear" for the New Brunswick landmark Thursday."

If I hear of any new developments, I will report.

Bill
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Thanks Bill. I guess this is good news, but with water already so high, I'm wondering if this scenario will be repeated in a couple of months.
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Admiral

VTJen:

Under normal circumtances, the ice jams occurs in late March early April. With the crazy temperatures we're getting this year, the ice started to melt much earlier.

These early warm temperatures we're getting, this time of the year, is really playing a number on us.

Here we are in late January, we should be well below freezing until mid to late March. We're above freezing right now. It's good in some ways such as lower heating bills but, it does cause some other problems. If this warm temperature continues, small dormant plants like strawberry, blueberry etc. could be ruined this year.

I'll keep you posted if there is further developments.

Bill
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Admiral

We are "enjoying" the same weather you are Bill. I noticed that I have a couple of fresh green leaves on a perrinniel in my flower bed. This is making me very nervous. Temps are back to normal today, but this up and down isn't normal, or good. People are beginning to wonder about the sugaring season here. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
We really haven't had cold enough temps for long enough to have much ice even form. No ice fishing so far. Of course skiing is poor as well as snowmobiling. Our economy will be suffering from all of these things, plus we too have lots of local strawberry/blueberry and raspberry places which could be in trouble too.

Thanks for all th updates and keeping me posted.