Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
First Mate

Default i am at ease cruising solo

i am a single middle aged lady who is used to doing things on my own ( i have been on my own for 16 yrs ) , so i am at ease going on trips by myself and enjoying doing what i like and what i want to do on my own . i love having a cabin by myself and doing as i please at my own pace on and off the ship. i have found that other passengers are wonderful in inviting me on their day trips and just setting on the ship and talking and having a drink and looking at the sites outside the ship. . using common sense for saftey has always paid off for a fun and enjoyable trip. my next cruise ( going solo ) is in sept to the new englan/canada area. i cant wait to go and look i look forward to meeting other singles at my dinning table and in other spots of the ship.

i look forward to seeing other single or couples on my cruise.

dont be afraid to go cruising on your own. you will meet wonderful and intersting new friends and have a wonderul time.
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Admiral

good for you! you have the right attitude.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Antron......thanks for posting that, it is so encouraging to me because I have been thinking about going solo this year. No one could go with me and I've been sad about that. I am older than you, also been alone a long time and very independent. I can usually amuse myself pretty well and am comfortable talking to all kinds of people. I've done quite a few cruises with family members and know some of the islands pretty good. I was somewhat concerned about going ashore by myself, so would probably have to do all shore trips, which can really add to the cost. Reading your post is really motivating! Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your cruise through New England.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcboston
Antron......thanks for posting that, it is so encouraging to me because I have been thinking about going solo this year. No one could go with me and I've been sad about that. I am older than you, also been alone a long time and very independent. I can usually amuse myself pretty well and am comfortable talking to all kinds of people. I've done quite a few cruises with family members and know some of the islands pretty good. I was somewhat concerned about going ashore by myself, so would probably have to do all shore trips, which can really add to the cost. Reading your post is really motivating! Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your cruise through New England.
first of all Thank you lisa for your reply.

pcboston===i am so glad i made your decision more comforting and put your mind more at ease. this will be my 2nd cruise solo but i also go on other land trips alone. i love the freedom it gives me and as i said i always feel welcome by fellow travelers and never feel like a ''3rd wheel or wall-flower ''. on the ship i can go too the shows after dinner if i choose to or just go to my cabin and rest with a nice glass of wine and unwind from the days adventures, or take that ''much needed nap during the day hahahaha ) to refresh myself the night ahead. i am an avide shopper and i like being in the shops for as long or little as i like and not feel rushed by others who might be in a tour group and on a strict schedule. of course if you want to do certain tours and the trip is made much easier by booking by the ship ' by all means do so and have a great time'. i have gone to the home sites via the internet for my ports and found many things that are free to do or cost much less than through the ship. ask for free travel brochures from thier sites. it helps in the planning of your stops. saving money on tours and in the ports takes some research but it is well worth it. more money for shopping whoo-hoo..

have a wonderful time and let us know how it went.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I've been a widow for 22 years and starting cruising alone 13 years ago - have logged 28 cruises since them, most of them solo.

The first time I went alone was a 10 day Panama Canal cruise in 1994. I was scared to death and wondered what the hell I had done! Then I got to my cabin (on the old Sky Princess) ane the "selfish gene" kicked in - I realized ALL the closets and drawers were all mine!!!! I unpacked, changed my clothes and never looked back.

It was one of the best cruises ever and I still correspond with a friend I met on that cruise. I also find that people are mostly quite friendly - a little personality and a big smile go a long way - and I've joined people on wonderful excursions, "borrowed" a husband for a camera shopping trip as I knew nothing about them.

I last cruised alone in November and will be going alone again on March 8th. Don't hesitate to go alone.

Remember this old saying: "Once action is taken, the fear is gone". That applies to many things in life, so go and enjoy and be proud of yourself.
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I too am a single "mature" woman but have not yet gone alone. I know it would not be a problem for me either. I love cruising and enjoy being around people. I doubt that I would have a problem getting to know people aboard the ship.

Laura
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

antron and belqique.......great posts! I've been thinking the same way. Closets, bathroom, time......all mine! I feel the same way about my house, my remote control, my blankets....hey, everything has a good side, right? I'm trying to get psyched-up and take this plunge. I'm sure once I do it once, it will be so liberating that I'll never look back and wonder what the heck took me so long!

Cruznut2.......Hi up there in Laconia. Beautiful country up there, I've been to the lake a few times. Living in cold New England makes you long for the Caribbean, doesn't it?
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:48 AM
First Mate

pcboston

im glad i could help. go and have a good time. after all--you only live once. i am determined to enjoy mine and do what makes me happy and what a hard working lady deserves '' to be pampered, waited on , eat fabulous food and see wonderful places and things ''.

have a great time.
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Geee ladies I am thinking we ought to all go on a cruise together!!! We could all have our own rooms...... or not!!! . PC, yes the Lakes Region is beautiful, thank you. I do long for the warmth of the Caribbean when the temps drop down and the snow is falling as it is now. But then, I am alswys longing for the Caribbean or any tropical place . PC and all if you are coming to this ara be sure to email maybe we could meet for coffee.

Laura
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Beginner

Default Thank You Antron!

I can't thank you enough for your comments. I'm taking my first cruise ever on Feb 12/06 (Carnival Liberty) and I'm alone. My husband refuses to fly so he refused to join me.

My best friend was going to joing but an unexpected health problem has made her cancel. So I'm determined to do this alone.

I'm not fearful of travelling alone as I do it for a living. However, I was just not sure how people would receive a "married but travelling alone" woman in her mid thirties.

After reading your posting and some of the replies, I have a renewed confidence that being the social butterfly I am, I will make many friends.

Lesav
Nova Scotia
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Thank You Antron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesav
I can't thank you enough for your comments. I'm taking my first cruise ever on Feb 12/06 (Carnival Liberty) and I'm alone. My husband refuses to fly so he refused to join me.

My best friend was going to joing but an unexpected health problem has made her cancel. So I'm determined to do this alone.

I'm not fearful of travelling alone as I do it for a living. However, I was just not sure how people would receive a "married but travelling alone" woman in her mid thirties.

After reading your posting and some of the replies, I have a renewed confidence that being the social butterfly I am, I will make many friends.

Lesav
Nova Scotia
thank you lasav. pack your bag, walk that gangplank and have a wonderful cruise. it sounds like you are going to be taking a wonderful cruise. on my first cruise alone i made sure i participated in all the ship-board activities . many other single passengers join in these as well ( tour of the spa, gally and of course the wonderful afternoon teas, and the dancing lessons are always fun ). there are lots of things to keep you occupied with other passengers. take a good book and plan on reading it in one of the lounges. someone will always start conversation with you while you are relaxing in a comfy chair by a window looking out at the water. have a great time.