A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won
first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science
Fair on January 26. He was attempting to show
how conditioned we have become to the
alarmists practicing junk science and spreading
fear of everything in our environment.
In his project he urged people to sign a petition
demanding strict control or total elimination of
the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for
plenty of good reasons, since it can:
1. cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer
He asked 150 people if they supported a ban of
One hundred forty-three said yes, six were undecided,
and only one knew that the chemical was , , , ,
Water! The title of his prize winning project was,
"How Gullible Are We?"
Well the conclusion is obvious.
"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."
F Scott Fitzgerald
Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14
Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14