Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default The blizzard that wasn't

Well the big blizzard of 2006 turned into a snow shower!! It never started here in NH's Lakes Region until about 7:00AM. It has stopped snowing and we have a whopping 1 inch of snow if that. I am not complaining. I got a Sunday off for a change. I am going out to a bingo game tonight If they did not cancel it in anticipation of all the snow. So far this winter has not been too hard to take.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Maybe yours wasn't but ours WAS. I came in a while ago from over two hours of cleanup and it is still snowing and blowing. I'd guess 16 to 18 inches already and maybe an inch or two more before it all ends. At the side of my driveway my 36" high fence can't be seen after blowing the snow in that direction and the piles by the front of the driveway are 4 feet high. Cleaned off the cars and went out to do my normal 7am Sunday trip for rolls and the newspaper about 5 hours late. The store was open but I was the only customer (normally stand in line for 5 minutes for service).
It was a whole lot easier when I had three kids living here. My girls were very helpful with this stuff. For those of you who got the storm. please be careful and don't over excercise.
No winter before today (63 degrees 10 days ago) but today caught it all up.
Be safe everyone.
Papa
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Gotta Luv tha South
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
booboo4031

Laura ...

Head just a little south to Manchester and we have white out conditions right now with plenty on the ground!

Diane
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
First Mate

we got about a foot here in northern VA!!

Glad I didnt have to drive to work at 1am, that would have been an interesting 30 minute drive.

Michele
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Passenger

we have about 20 inches here and it is still snowing
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

It has started to snow again. It does not seem to be gathering up much. maybe about 2 inches on the ground. I am glad it was not what they were predicting.

Laura
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

Default The Blizzard that wasn't

About 20 inches here in Massachusetts; 5:30 p.m. and still coming down. At least our bird feeder is still accessible. Everyone take care driving and shoveling. Maybe it's just a cruel joke. Think palm trees.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Just about 7pm now. Luckily only another inch or so of snow came down after the big cleanup I did this morning. Had to go outside just now to dig out the stuff the plow just pushed over the end of the driveway but all in all not too bad. I'm very pleased with the snow blower I bought three winters back. I have no idea how I would have shoveled it all.
Stay safe and warm everyone.
Papa
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

we got close to 2' here in Palmer, there was a large band of heavy snow that dumped on us. White-out conditions for awhile. Its all calm and pretty now.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Well, it was sure an interesting travel day Sunday - disembarked the Liberty, many flights cancelled.

Ours to Baltimore was cancelled according to one announcement, then when I got to the ticket agent, they didn't know anything about it.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Admiral

another reason to plan on getting to your outbound port a day or two early for your cruise in the winter

I remember back in the early 80's I was living and working in Neward NJ and there was a huge blizzard on friday which shut down the airports, the city and the tunnels..this was back in the days when you could show up at the pier and go stand bye for a flat fee (around $399 for a 7 day cruise)..it was just plain luck that my then GF and I flew out of Newark on the last flight on Thursday evening to see if we could stand bye for a 3 day weekend cruise..well needless to say, we turned on tv on friday morning and saw the news, no one from the northeast corridor could get to the ship, we decided to try to stand by for a 7 day, got on, great cabin, great cruise..ahhh the good old days, I don't miss snow