Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Default Execution delayed (violent & explicit content contained)

Morales was condemned in 1983 for killing 17-year-old Terri Winchell, who was attacked with a hammer, stabbed and left to die half-naked in a vineyard. He was sentenced to die by lethal injection at 12:01a on February 21st. A "judge" deemed that he should have two anesthesiologists present so that he won't feel any pain during his execution or it could be considered "cruel and unusual punishment."

Excuse me...but what about the mother who has been waiting 25 years for justice for her young daughter? And now his execution is being postponed indefinately until they can find someone who will assist in his death. The two anesthesiologists stated that "Any such intervention would clearly be medically unethical," the doctors, whose identities were not released, said in a statement. "As a result, we have withdrawn from participation in this current process."

Doctors are bound by their oath to "do no harm". Therefore, how can ANY doctor participate in an execution?? I say get it done and be done with it!!! This poor girl did not have the benefit of sedation....

Any comments????

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jean.. while I can certainly understand your sympathy for the family. I don't think this is the right place for a dialogue on capital punishment.

There's many forums available where these discussions are more fitting. Hope you understand.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Hmm, well, the description of this board by Cruisemates states:

"Open Forum for what's on your mind. Feel free to say it here."

I didn't see the little asterisk at the end? It's something important that is on my mind....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Admiral

I have to concur with Kuki on this issue. I believe that such topics as this are divisive and would only serve to cause conflict and hard feelings among cruisemates. Additonally, many cruisemates, Kuki included, are not from the United States and their nations do not have capital punishment. Contriversial topics not related to cruising should not be discussed here.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Please see my above post. Those are not my words, but the words from Cruisemates.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

These highly controversial topics do cause very emotional responses and in most instances cause not only the point to be attacked but eventually individuals that make the points. That's why we discourage posts regarding politics, religion and highly controversial topics.

In the end people's feelings do get hurt and no one wins. It really isn't worth it in the long run. It may be a form of censorship but there are other venues for those who wish to discuss those issues.

I love a good debate and too discuss these issues but I don't do it here.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Okay, then don't debate Mike. As I stated already twice, (I guess no one is paying attention!) Cruisemates says you can post what is important to you! And I'm not insulting anyone on the board.

And I feel it IS worth it...this is going to make a very important precident for executions....it may bring a stop to them forever because now they want doctors to attend and assist in them, and they are refusing because it's against their oath....

Maybe (and hopefully this never happens!) you would be more involved if, God forbid, it happened to someone that you know....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Jean I have to agree with you on all points. The anti-death penalty people never consider the victims of the family. Also this is a forum to say what is on your mind. I have a feeling this won't stay up long because someone sure enough will get offended by your post and tell on you like they do everytime I say the Yates woman should die along with that guy in Florida that killed Carlie.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Cruisemates says you can post what is important to you! And I'm not insulting anyone on the board.
Jean... CruiseMates also has a "User Agreement". You can read it here, if you haven't read it before.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...index.cfm#user
It's posted there because it's too long to be displayed on the top of every message board folder.

We obviously feel that politics, religion, and discussions of the right or wrong of individual moral values are "inflammatory issues", and whether posting on those matters is meant to be intentionally inflammatory or not, the end result is the same! And that is why they are NOT allowed.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
First Mate

"In the end people's feelings do get hurt and no one wins. It really isn't worth it in the long run. It may be a form of censorship but there are other venues for those who wish to discuss those issues".

C'mon Mike peoples feelings get hurt. There would not be very many post in this forum or especially gripes if you deleted everything that hurt peoples feelings. There is a saying "if you don't like what is on the radio change it." Now I won't be listening to Howard Stern because I don't like the material, if someone doesn't like the topic don't read it.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Kuki and Mike etc on this issue. Jean, I actually understand your position for the victims, but in fact as a health care proffessional, I think it is wrong to ask nurses and doctors to end life just because we have the knowledge to do so.

See, when I read the post, I take it as, its the judge and doctors fault, which can cause fuss, because without going into right and wrong, even if some one has done something immoral, health care proffessionals should not be blamed because they are not comfortable participating in a death sentance.

feelings can and do get hurt, not brings that out more than topics of religion, politics and strong moral issues, when a statment says , -The anti-death penalty people never consider the victims of the family-.this is not so, the issue is large and charged and better left to people who can face each other and talk. Often these issues encompass many moral issues, not just one, and each case is different, I personally cannot lump a clearly severely mentally ill person in the same group as a preditor.

Since this forum just isnt big enough to write long papers about all the implications, all the points of view, it is why I agree with Mike Kuki etc.

I mean no offence,
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
First Mate

Delph I accept your opinion, I don't agree but you should be allowed to give your feeling on this matter pro or con.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Admiral

It's "padlock time" for this topic.......

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Hmmm, if this is true from Kuki:

We obviously feel that politics, religion, and discussions of the right or wrong of individual moral values are "inflammatory issues",

Why are the posts regarding formal wear allowed to go on for months and months and use up hundreds of posts and they are not deleted?? Along with name calling and insults?? They become EXTREMELY inflammatory!!!

Guess it's all up to the moderators as to how they feel....whatever....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Why are the posts regarding formal wear allowed to go on for months and months and use up hundreds of posts and they are not deleted?? Along with name calling and insults?
Because they are CRUISE RELATED, and this is afterall a CRUISE web site.

And NO name calling is allowed. If seen they are deleted immediately. And if we miss them, there is a "Report Post" button that readers should use to bring our attention to them.

Quote:
Guess it's all up to the moderators as to how they feel
It's up to the moderators to do the job they are charged with. And the bottom line... users of the site choose to abide by "the rules of the road" as they are set out, or look for sites which suit their needs better.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Jean,

I just have to clear one thing up. When it comes to to the message boards I am the one who makes the final decisions on what would stay or go. The only one that would override that is Paul.

The moderators work well as a team and we are all basically on the same page. This is why Kuki has answered your questions completely and I completely agree with him.

Now back to cruising.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me