Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Default Confession: I am a last-minute packer!

I have absolutely nothing packed for my cruise tomorrow. (Truth is, I haven't unpacked from my cruise last time!) Last time we took one large suitcase and this time I've decided to divide everything up among two small suitcases for easier manageability. But I haven't done a thing about it! And tonight I'm going over to a friend's house so I won't be able to start packing until after 9 p.m.

Most likely, I will spend tomorrow morning throwing things in the suitcase.

Are you a last-minute packer or do you have everything ready to go weeks in advance?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I have a ritual (don't all men (VBG)..about 6 weeks before I leave I lay out all the clothes I want to take on the futon in my den by my computer...I color code it and match up outfits based upon my day to day cruise intinerary..also, I get my tux and other clothes dry cleaned...then one week before..I bring out my suitor, carry on suitcase and camera bag and start making the decisions about what to leave behind because it can't all fit into my suitcase..3 days before, I have everything pack and laid out on the floor and ready to go..rule of thumb, I carry only about 20% of what I laid out 6 weeks before..works everytime..I do buy one new outfit per cruise and rotate

I never last minute pack because I would leave behind something that I would need..I also have my cruise checklist in my computer as a double check

now my GF on the other hand, much like you, packs the morning of the cruise and it drives me CRAZY !!! she is still packing when I pull up to pick her up and it becomes a sore point because we always have to stop at the store before we get to the airport for something she forgot and then go to the store by the hotel the morning of the cruise to pick up some "last minute things"..can't understand that (VBG)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

DF and I pack at the last minute. I consider it to be fun. However, we are not as bad as you are . At least we pack the night before 8) .

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We "pack" the night before the cruise. By pack I mean it actually goes into the suitcase. I have to have all my clothes and stuff into the room by then.

The process can take anywhere from 3 days to a month.

We had it down to a science for Caribbean cruises and for our last cruise to Alaska, I think the entire packing took less than a day. For this next cruise to Asia it has been and will be a long process. I have had to buy a lot of new clothes and we have also bought new cases. My wife has also purchased a bunch of new stuff. This really isn't the packing process but I consider it part of it. Once we are ready to do it. It will probably it will take a hour or two.

Don't sweat it you will be able to do just fine. You probably have the cruise drawer with the standard stuff you use on the cruise: Travel Alarm, travel bag, and such, the daily clothes come right out of the closet. (You're lucky; you live in Florida) and the formal stuff hopefully came back from the cleaners. If so you are ready to go.

Have fun, open up the suitcases, throw in the dry cleaning bags and go.

Take care,
Mike (don't forget the documents)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Passenger

I get things ready the week before the cruise, but don't put them in the bags until the night before we get on the plane. I sometimes wish I was one who would pack a month before, but then I would be taking everything out of the bag to check again!
My dining room table and upstairs beds are covered with cruise clothes, etc. for husband and me. We will be on RCCL Mariner Sunday - cruise #7 - can't wait!! Saturday night will be pizza, a Budweiser, and packing!
Pam
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Default Confession: I am a Last-Minute Packer

I usually start about three days before.

I divy ou t medications immediately and see that they get in the carry-ons. I also air out the big luggage pieces early.

We found a wonderful travel list from the L.A.Times, plus each of us has another basic list on the computer. That one changes somewhat with each cruise.

Keith is more last-minute. But I start putting his stuff out when I do my own.

Judy
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

If i waited until last minute i would be running around like a lunatic! I am a planner and a list maker. I usually start about 1 month before the cruise, haul out the suitcases, air them out - go thru the dress clothes, get them to the seamstress and the dry cleaners. I start serious packing about 1 week before, and the last-minute items go in the night before, and the suitcases go downstairs and into the car that night.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Packing for a cruise?....
Mrs. Cynic has another term for it:

She calls it "tidying up".

(since it's been a good 5 years now since our last cruise, or trip of any sort, the place is a bit of a mess)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

I am a last minute packer also. The last Disney cruise I took I brought a carry on and will do the same next weekend. I like not having to wait for my luggage or worse....when it get lost! <on princess it was lost for a while>

Most important always have meds with me in seperate bag, docs and $$$
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

I'm one of those "why wait till later" people. I was packed (stuff in the suitcase) two days before and closed and carried next to the door the day before I left. My process started about two weeks before when I was gathering everything together and putting it on the bed in the spare bedroom so I knew all of my stuff would be clean and ready to go. I confess... I do this for any trip I take. Actual packing time took about 1 hour and I was ready to go. Sick huh?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Michelle,
Forgot to ask, where are you going and which ship? We cruise once or twice a year, but if we lived closer to a port, it would be more often. We like to fly out of our local airport, rather than drive two hours to Nashville, TN or Louisville, KY. Usually costs more, but we like to be within 20 minutes of home when we get off the plane.
We will be on RCCL Mariner on Sunday for a week in W. Caribbean!
Have a great time on your cruise, and get packin'
Pam
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We used to be early packers, and as we became more experienced, we got more "relaxed" with our packing, thinking "we know the routine", and would lay the stuff out a day or two ahead of time, and then pack the last day.

What we've found the last several cruises is that we've ended up forgetting a number of things. Like last cruise I packed a tux, with two shirts, and two ties, as well as a suit - for a cruise with three formal nights.

At least I THOUGHT I had! I had the tux, one shirt, one tie... and the suit, with no shirt and no tie when we unpacked on the ship. Not earth shattering to be sure, but along with other "incidentals" left behind, we were inconviened by our oversights.

Think next time I'll go back to be a bit less cavalier about the packing, and get it organized a few days prior, when I'm not trying to concentrate on other things (like work) to be completed before we leave for the cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I have to admit to being a last minute packer too. Usually the night before. I do go through my things ahead of time and make sure everything is clean (and still fits), but don't actually get everything into the suitcase until the night before.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I pack the night before but have been thinking about it for awhile before the cruise so it's just a matter of getting it all laid out and out of my mind and into a suitcase!
Angela Z.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

mentally I am an early pacthinking hmmmmmmm, I will take this and that, and when I am sitting doing nothing, I make a list that is ongoing and when I think of something, I jot it down, then about 1-2 weeks ahead, if I am lets say washing a sweater I know I want to take, I will put it in a corner and just add to it as I think of it, it goes into the suitcases usually last minute as I dont like clotcked in there for very long.................so I dont quite know what that makes me........maybe sitting on the fence..........planning early and packing late!!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Michelle,,,as much as you cruise you should be an "old" hand at this packing thingeee,,,<VBG>

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Admiral

are you telling me that there are cruisers that unpack ?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

When I lived in KY, I was an early packer - because I wasn't wearing the clothes (shorts, tanks, etc) before the cruise - usually too cold. But down here, I have become a night before or morning of packer, because I need the clothes unpacked to have stuff to wear. I usually do laundry the night before, then get up early and pack the morning of.

This year, however, I will definitely be packing the morning of...as many of you know, I have one night a month that I am at work until about 2-3am because financials are due by the next morning. That night happens to be the day before my cruise. I will get home about 3am, do laundry until about 6am, pack, maybe get a couple of hours of sleep then head to the port. My guess is that I will be taking a nap as soon as I get on the ship.

That is if I actually go on the cruise.....but that is another story for another post.

Jodi
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Yeoman

Default Confession: I'm a last minute packer

Everyone in the family makes fun of me. Once we are booked I start a list: Sun. Mon. Tues. etc.Daytime wear, evening wear. My dh goes to get the dry cleaning bags, they are great for wrinkle free clothes. The bags cannot be in sight because of our psycho cat, Missy. She sees suitcases and goes into the worst funk you could ever see. We pack quickly and right into the car. Cats rule, at least here. (Maybe thats why I got caught with scissors two cruises in a row; wrong suitcase!)

Betty

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07